Terry Gilliam Trashes Alien Franchise...

Started by ralfy, Jul 10, 2018, 10:39:10 AM

Author
Terry Gilliam Trashes Alien Franchise... (Read 12,830 times)

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 10, 2018, 05:53:00 PM
Frankly, I still think that Tony Scott would have given us a fantastic Alien movie.

I've said that before. And I agree.

As for this Gilliam guy. Never heard of him until now. So he doesn't like Alien? Well, that's his loss.

Local Trouble

He directed Time Bandits, Brazil and 12 Monkeys.  He's as quirky a filmmaker as it gets.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 10, 2018, 06:20:49 PM
He directed Time Bandits, Brazil and 12 Monkeys.  He's as quirky a filmmaker as it gets.

Wasn't the evac point in AVPR "Gilliam circle"?

Local Trouble

Ask SM.  I forgot about AvPR five minutes after the credits rolled.

Huggs

If it was, I wonder if it was some inside joke? I seem to remember that's what they called it. How fitting, to be critical of Alien, and then have a site named after you get nuked in what's probably the worst film these creatures have ever been in.

I reserve the right to be wrong though. But it does sound familiar.

Necronom IV

Necronom IV

Clearly a complete idiot. I have never heard of him and I fancy that posterity will not hear of him either: Ridley Scott and H.R. Giger will be immortal as long as the macabre and disturbing in art is appreciated by even one soul who can see a little beyond the veil of the commonplace.

Stitch

Quote from: Necronom IV on Jul 10, 2018, 07:21:04 PM
Clearly a complete idiot. I have never heard of him and I fancy that posterity will not hear of him either
He's a well known, highly respected filmmaker who used to be in Monty Python. He has directed Time Bandits, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, 12 Monkeys, Brazil, The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus and others. I doubt he's an idiot and wager that posterity will treat him very kindly.

I don't think he'd have been a good fit for Alien, though.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 10, 2018, 05:53:00 PM

Frankly, I still think that Tony Scott would have given us a fantastic Alien movie.
Top Gun Aliens huh, damn I feel like we missed out on something great.  :'(

SM

Quote from: Stitch on Jul 10, 2018, 07:31:27 PM
Quote from: Necronom IV on Jul 10, 2018, 07:21:04 PM
Clearly a complete idiot. I have never heard of him and I fancy that posterity will not hear of him either
He's a well known, highly respected filmmaker who used to be in Monty Python. He has directed Time Bandits, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, 12 Monkeys, Brazil, The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus and others. I doubt he's an idiot and wager that posterity will treat him very kindly.

I don't think he'd have been a good fit for Alien, though.

Yep.  This 'never heard of him' crowd trying to slate him...  :laugh:

Ingwar

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 10, 2018, 06:15:05 PM
As for this Gilliam guy. Never heard of him until now. So he doesn't like Alien? Well, that's his loss.

You never heard of Terry Gilliam? Seriously? :) Watch The Fisher King.

@Necronom IV
Calling Terry Gilliam and idiot because he said what he said about Alien and not even knowing who he was is perfect example of ignorance.

The Old One

The Old One

People can still be good at stuff and be completely wrong, you don't necessarily have to say that they and their work is worthless because you disagree with them.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ralfy on Jul 10, 2018, 12:34:50 PM
The first point, that it's a "ghost train" movie, sounds fairly accurate, although one can insist that there's also conspiracy involved with the company plan and Ash.

The second point, about Ripley, is partly incorrect in the sense that she's not a military but a commercial ship officer. But the point about the underwear makes sense (unless there's a reason for focusing on her body as she strips to her underwear), and the one about the cat is open to discussion (perhaps she has to save something).

The last point, though, about the alien being seen in full view, makes sense. I saw the movie in the theater when it was first shown, and I just realized that it did look pathetic. In the second and subsequent death scenes, the alien looked frightening because I only got to see parts of it, especially the head and the jaw, which were the most menacing ones. But after it was blown out of the airlock, it looked to me like a man in a rubber suit, then a little doll.

Yeah, would agree with this. His comments have partial merit. While I wouldn't go along with everything he mentioned, that shot of the creature outside the airlock has always been one of the most obviously fake (the other being the obvious change between Ash's prop and 'real' heads) and the film would probably have been better with a different shot in its place.

SM

SM

As an aside Michael Palin talks about Alien in one of his diaries, while he's on the board at Shepparton.  He mentions that its high point is the chestburster, and then fails to match that for the rest of the film.

Someone update the article so it says 'Monty Python TRASHES ALL TEH ALIEN FILMZ EVA!!'

Huggs

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 10, 2018, 09:02:56 PM

Seriously. I've honestly never heard of him. I'll have to check it out The Fisher King.

Ingwar

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 10, 2018, 09:39:22 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 10, 2018, 09:02:56 PM

Seriously. I've honestly never heard of him. I'll have to check it out The Fisher King.

You should have heard of Monty Python and the Holy Grail or 12 Monkeys.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed