Terry Gilliam Trashes Alien Franchise...

Started by ralfy, Jul 10, 2018, 10:39:10 AM

Author
Terry Gilliam Trashes Alien Franchise... (Read 13,020 times)

ralfy

...Said No to Directing Sequel

QuoteTerry Gilliam reveals he was offered a sequel to Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic Alien at one point. Not only did he turn it down, but he also decided to take a moment to bash the franchise and share his distaste for what many consider to be one of the greatest movies ever made.

SM

Trashy click bait.

Corporal Hicks

I'm interested in this for another name to add to the list of people offered a job in-charge of Alien 3.

SM

And they think they had a hard time with Fincher.

SiL

Gilliam would've been every bit as inappropriate as Jeunet ended up being.

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2018, 11:18:30 AM
Trashy click bait.
Ken Oath.

Samus007

I, personally, am very glad he had no hands on the Alien franchise.

ralfy

ralfy

I forgot to mention that this thread contains spoilers. Don't read further if you've not seen the movies.

The relevant quote:

Quote"'Alien' is just a ghost train where something jumps out and you don't know who's going to die next," laughed Gilliam. "When I watched the first 'Alien,' all I kept saying was, 'Just kill them all and be done with it,' because you just know that they're all going to die along the way. In the end, Sigourney Weaver, who we've established is a really tough military officer, is running around in her underwear trying to find a cat. Give me a f—king break. There are some great moments in it, but the shot that should've never been in the film is the one at the end showing the alien getting blown out of the airlock. You see the alien, and it's just a guy in a rubber suit. Up until then, you only saw bits of the alien, and it seemed to be huge and vast and terrifying. That was so clever. It was like the shark in 'Jaws.' I told Ridley, 'You don't want that shot of the alien at the end. Cut it!'

The first point, that it's a "ghost train" movie, sounds fairly accurate, although one can insist that there's also conspiracy involved with the company plan and Ash.

The second point, about Ripley, is partly incorrect in the sense that she's not a military but a commercial ship officer. But the point about the underwear makes sense (unless there's a reason for focusing on her body as she strips to her underwear), and the one about the cat is open to discussion (perhaps she has to save something).

The last point, though, about the alien being seen in full view, makes sense. I saw the movie in the theater when it was first shown, and I just realized that it did look pathetic. In the second and subsequent death scenes, the alien looked frightening because I only got to see parts of it, especially the head and the jaw, which were the most menacing ones. But after it was blown out of the airlock, it looked to me like a man in a rubber suit, then a little doll.

Batalien

Batalien

He's not wrong about Alien being blown out of airlock looking like just a guy in rubber suit.

LtJesseRipley

12 Monkeys is so good.

BigDaddyJohn

Did he lost his mind ?

Predalien39

No, it's a good thing he didn't. 
The guy is insane and many of his movies never feel very complete.
There's a handful I like, but something tells me his alien movie would be a mess.
I prefer what we got.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2018, 11:50:10 AM

I don't think JPJ was entirely inappropriate, Terry G definitely would've been.

B.A.

B.A.

An idiot. A complete idiot. He trashed the epitome of science fiction/horror films. Glad this guy didn't get his hands on this beloved franchise...and all over his opinion of the "guy in a suit" crap. Jeez.

B.A.

B.A.

Did this moron not take into account that it had human/bipedal DNA absorption abilities? Part of what makes the xenomorph so terrifying is that it takes traits from its host to better handle it's environment. Like I said, this guy didn't deserve to direct an Alien film.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2018, 11:50:10 AM

This.  Add Luc Besson to that list.

Frankly, I still think that Tony Scott would have given us a fantastic Alien movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed