Caretakers of Terror, An Interview With ADI’s Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff Jr. - AvP Galaxy Podcast #126

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2021, 02:19:10 PM

Author
Caretakers of Terror, An Interview With ADI’s Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff Jr. - AvP Galaxy Podcast #126 (Read 18,606 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 126th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Happy Alien Day! Since it’s Alien Day, we naturally wanted to bring you a special episode with some awesome guests, and for this episode we’re talking to none other than Amalgamated Dynamic Inc’s Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr!

We talk Alien 3 myths, telling fibs, AvP Requiem’s unused hydraulic PredAlien, Sigourney Weaver posing naked with an Alien suit, a novelization of Tom’s Alien: Salvation concept and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

If you're still jonesing for more Alien discussion check out some of our previous Alien Day specials where we had the pleasure of talking to other legendary figures within the Alien universe such as Aliens’ very own Carrie Henn, the father of the Expanded Universe Mark Verheiden, and Alien: Covenant’s backburster victim Ben Rigby!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Enjoy

The wookie cristmas special of AVP movies.

XenoHunter99

shadowedge

Haven't listened yet but do you mention by chance certain issues with Predator faces and broken jaws?

Nightmare Asylum

Looking forward to listening to this! Going to save it for when I have a nice long drive.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: shadowedge on Apr 26, 2021, 04:05:58 PM
Haven't listened yet but do you mention by chance certain issues with Predator faces and broken jaws?

I believe it has already been asked in an earlier interview.

seattle24

I thought hearing them describe how closely run they were for the job for AvP with Stan Winston was insightful and dare I say it, a bit depressing  :(

Supremely likeable fellas and a good interview.

XenoHunter99

That was great! Definitely lived up to its billing, Hicks. Good job to you and Ridgetop. Cheers to Tom Woodruff and Alec Gillis for giving you such an enjoyable interview. That's too bad about the sourness that developed with Giger. I recall Giger complained bitterly about the creche scene in Resurrection because it's structured a lot like his painting, The Traveler.

I can't prove it, but the sense I get from Giger interviews and articles I've seen is that he resented people using his sourcework as reference (ie the Necronomicon books) and he called that "stealing his work." From those sources and from this interview, it seems Woodruff and Gillis got stuffed into the "stealing Giger's work" camp. Giger was also very unhappy with the look of the Resurrection aliens for both the amount of goo applied to the suits and the softer, more organic look of the creatures. His terms were most unflattering, and he emphasized his preference for aesthetic monsters. Sorry, I don't have the source for that.

I do have a little snippet of video from somewhere. In it, Giger clearly states he does not have Li's skeleton. He is asked about it and answers, "I'm not mad. No that's not true." He also talks about the skull in the head of the Alien. He had a collection of skulls, including a shrunken head. Giger was an interesting fellow.

Nukiemorph

Great listen.

Was nice to have something Alien related to listen to at work for Alien Day.

Keyes

Nice one, great chat with the ADI guys who always come across as very likable.

Interesting how close it came between them and Stan Winston to do the AVP practical effects.

I never knew there was an animatronic PredAlien built. Any pics of that available?

Kailem

Great interview! I always like hearing/watching anything from these guys, they're always fun to listen to. And you asked some good questions!

I had no idea they'd made an animatronic Predalien! Never even saw any pictures of it. And I remember hearing about the kid seeing one of their earlier designs and a producer asking for changes as a result, but I didn't realise they were somewhat unhappy with the final version as a result. Yeah there are some aspects of it I might tweak a bit, but overall I like it.

That was funny to see Tom's reaction to you knowing the title of his planned Alien film too, forgetting that he'd mentioned it in a prior interview. :laugh: It certainly would be cool to see it come to fruition one day, even if it was just in comic book form. Shame he never got round to writing it all out last year, but then I'm about the last person who can get on anyone's back about procrastinating! :D

Great stuff, definitely looking forward to that future one of Tom talking about his suit performing too!

SM

SM

QuoteGiger was also very unhappy with the look of the Resurrection aliens for both the amount of goo applied to the suits and the softer, more organic look of the creatures. His terms were most unflattering, and he emphasized his preference for aesthetic monsters. Sorry, I don't have the source for that.

How about this?

In his first letter, Giger writes,"The creatures in Alien:Resurrection are even closer to my original Alien designs than the ones which appear in Aliens and Alien3. The film also resurrects my original designs for the other stages of the creature's life-cycle, the Eggs, the Facehugger and the Chestburster. Alien:Resurrection is an excellent film. What would it look like without my Alien life-forms? In all likelihood, all the sequels to Alien would not even exist! The designs and my credit have been stolen from me, since I alone have designed the Alien. So why does not Fox give me the credit I rightfully earned?".

Source

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2021, 01:59:29 AM
{quote]In his first letter, Giger writes,"The creatures in Alien:Resurrection are even closer to my original Alien designs than the ones which appear in Aliens and Alien3. The film also resurrects my original designs for the other stages of the creature's life-cycle, the Eggs, the Facehugger and the Chestburster. Alien:Resurrection is an excellent film. What would it look like without my Alien life-forms? In all likelihood, all the sequels to Alien would not even exist! The designs and my credit have been stolen from me, since I alone have designed the Alien. So why does not Fox give me the credit I rightfully earned?".

Source

wait.. Whut?

:o :o   :o

I can't believe Giger said that. But even so, how is it possible that the xeno clones of Resurrection are closer to his Alien.. is it because of the dome? Or am I missing something ???

BlueMarsalis79

He much later states his not so kind thoughts on the designs presented in the film, in opposition to his thoughts on them in his letter attempting to gain credit for the original design, during the Charles de Lauzirika Directed One Step Beyond Alien Resurrection documentary.

But to be fair he never directly mentions the adult in his letter and that's what he primarily criticises during the documentary.

As I have said repeatedly before.

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed