"Predator 2 Is the Most Enjoyable Predator Movie, Period"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 13, 2015, 09:50:41 AM

Author
"Predator 2 Is the Most Enjoyable Predator Movie, Period" (Read 7,532 times)

happypred

Predator and Predator 2 were (genuinely) massively enjoyable sci-fi action flicks

AvP-R was enjoyable because of Wolf's badassery and the human element was so bad it was actually comically good

Vermillion

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 12, 2015, 10:53:37 PMIn all its ridiculous macho brawniness, P1 is actually a pretty "smart" action movie.

Predator is actually quite a bit smarter than most people give it credit for. The trouble is, it did such a good job of dressing itself up as exactly the kind of movie it's deconstructing most people don't seem to notice.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 14, 2015, 09:15:34 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 12, 2015, 10:53:37 PMIn all its ridiculous macho brawniness, P1 is actually a pretty "smart" action movie.

Predator is actually quite a bit smarter than most people give it credit for. The trouble is, it did such a good job of dressing itself up as exactly the kind of movie it's deconstructing most people don't seem to notice.

Well put! Totally agree with you.

Liberator

It's hard to rate a movie as more enjoyable than another, without saying you just think it was better.  Predator may be my all-time favorite movie, of any genre, so for me it would always be more enjoyable than Predator 2.  But Predator 2 has a little more "fun" in it, because we know who the alien is, and what it's doing, and so it's action we can get into from start to finish.  The original movie introduced the creature, and it's a fantastic example of good drama, where they start out small and build.  But it's not really possible to be surprised twice, so you will lose some of the fun per say, when you re-watch this movie.  It's best to watch it when you're in the mood for adventure, and the ultimate in macho action and suspense.  There will never be another movie like it, probably.  Arnold should return for Predator 4 (Oh, God, please!), but it won't be the same as him in his prime, when we can see someone like that be "the wrong prey" the predator picks.  Arnold is like a modern-day, real life Hercules in this movie, with the predator like the hydra or a similar monster.  It's mythology, outright, and it's all owed to Rocky, because those movies inspired it.

DerelictShip

Quote from: Liberator on Dec 16, 2015, 12:09:20 AM
It's hard to rate a movie as more enjoyable than another, without saying you just think it was better.  Predator may be my all-time favorite movie, of any genre, so for me it would always be more enjoyable than Predator 2.  But Predator 2 has a little more "fun" in it, because we know who the alien is, and what it's doing, and so it's action we can get into from start to finish.  The original movie introduced the creature, and it's a fantastic example of good drama, where they start out small and build.  But it's not really possible to be surprised twice, so you will lose some of the fun per say, when you re-watch this movie.  It's best to watch it when you're in the mood for adventure, and the ultimate in macho action and suspense.  There will never be another movie like it, probably.  Arnold should return for Predator 4 (Oh, God, please!), but it won't be the same as him in his prime, when we can see someone like that be "the wrong prey" the predator picks.  Arnold is like a modern-day, real life Hercules in this movie, with the predator like the hydra or a similar monster.  It's mythology, outright, and it's all owed to Rocky, because those movies inspired it.

ugh no arnold in predator 4, he had his prime already! And I think in predator 2 they say dutch went crazy after the mission so for all we know he's locked away or dead or something.

I just want to go into this movie with no expectations, hopes, or wishes because otherwise I won't get its full entertainment and be more a critic than a fan

overthere

PsyKore

Honestly, the only problem I find with P2 is that it's a bit camp, but it's from the Lethal Weapon era of action films, so you have to cut it some slack. Every time the Predator is on screen, however, that film is absolutely amazing. ;D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2015, 12:30:17 PMHonestly, the only problem I find with P2 is that it's a bit camp, but it's from the Lethal Weapon era of action films, so you have to cut it some slack.

How are the Lethal Weapon movies camp?! They're comedies, sure, but that's not the same as being camp. In fact they're the polar opposite of camp, they're dark as hell, especially the first.

Mrcreosote

Films 1993-1998 of any type all appear a bit naff !

PsyKore

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 18, 2015, 12:43:23 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2015, 12:30:17 PMHonestly, the only problem I find with P2 is that it's a bit camp, but it's from the Lethal Weapon era of action films, so you have to cut it some slack.

How are the Lethal Weapon movies camp?! They're comedies, sure, but that's not the same as being camp. In fact they're the polar opposite of camp, they're dark as hell, especially the first.

Lethal Weapon are ridiculous movies, but they're still good. But yeah, like Mrcreosote said, it's just that period of 90's action films that were mostly like that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 19, 2015, 05:32:25 AMLethal Weapon are ridiculous movies, but they're still good.

The sequels became increasingly silly, but the first is far from ridiculous. Like I said, it's a seriously dark movie. People get tortured, Riggs is a genuine suicidal psychotic, there's a lot of dark stuff in there. OK, it has a couple of silly moments, mostly "Do you really wanna jump?!" but the rest is actually pretty bleak and serious.

It's anything but camp and ridiculous.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: happypred on Dec 14, 2015, 03:27:40 AM
Predator and Predator 2 were (genuinely) massively enjoyable sci-fi action flicks

AvP-R was enjoyable because of Wolf's badassery and the human element was so bad it was actually comically good

P1, P2, Aliens, Blade Runner, Robocop, there are the best sci fi movies ever done.

OpenMaw

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I'm sorry but if I had to pick one to watch it is Predator. The movie appears so much more real than most movies. The characters even for the short time they were on screen were so well fleshed out. No pun intended. Predator 2 is a good flick but it was a little more cheesy with Gary Busey and the Feds. Oh and no, Bill Paxton reprising his Weird Science role as Chet was not all that great.

...yea decided to read the article first and the guy that wrote it doesn't even agree it's better than the first. So what was the point of claiming P2 was the most enjoyable and then calling the movie 80's cheese.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 21, 2016, 06:20:42 AM
Quote from: Vermillion on Dec 14, 2015, 03:48:22 AM
Avp-R needed nudity

The aliens were quite naked.
Their heads are giant dicks. What more nudity could the man want?

Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Dec 20, 2015, 02:22:40 AM
Quote from: happypred on Dec 14, 2015, 03:27:40 AM

P1, P2, Aliens, Blade Runner, Robocop, there are the best sci fi movies ever done.
The Terminator may want to have a word with you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed