NECA's The Predator Figures

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 01, 2017, 01:20:37 PM

Author
NECA's The Predator Figures (Read 88,170 times)

Still Collating...

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 12, 2018, 05:27:15 PM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 12, 2018, 03:17:36 PM.  .

Just look at the Alien in the Hadley's Hope two pack. It's a domed warrior and Neca's best alien to date.

Too bad you have to have Burke to get it.

But honestly, the Lurker has more diverse paint apps on its' head alone that the entirety of a NECA Alien.
The dome translucency is perfect. Not a single seam.
The articulation blows NECAs' out of the water and you'd know that if you ever held one that even the plastic feels like it's made of sterner stuff.

I'll give you an example about the articulation- can a NECA big chap or warrior crawl on all fours in the style of the Covenant Alien or the Runner, or even the Alien warriors in the vents at Hadley's Hope? No?
Well the Lurker can.

It's sad that an Alien figure can't crawl on all fours.
That's where I draw the line- that and misaligned domes.

When you look the face head on, it just looks wrong on the Lurker to me at least, not really the shape of Big Chap. The shape of the Neca dome is much more accurate. But I agree that the seams on the dome are poor design and that the translucent dome needs to be less translucent on the Neca one.

The paint apps on which one? On the original Big Chap from Neca? Yep,  just a white dome and gloss black body. Not much of a pint job. Other than that one, all other aliens have great paint apps, from the '86 aliens to the dog alien, from the Defiance alien to the domed warrior as the best example to date. And they're getting better, that's my point. The quality is getting better step by step and the prices are still a lot less than the other companies.

Articulation? Don't agree completely. First point, Big Chap never went on all fours so I can't really fault them for that. Second point, Neca's Covenant and Dog aliens can go on all fours, no problem. But I will agree with you, it is very stupid that the alien warriors can't look up enough and go on all fours. The new warrior bodies can do that fine but they still don't have that crucial neck articulation that is so needed. And even though Big Chap never did it, I would like to be able to pose him on all fours. That's still something Neca should fix. I agree that Play Arts Kai fixed the neck and back spine problem marvelously! But that's the only articulation point that they have an upper hand in.
They have single jointed elbows and no finger/toe articulation. Apart from the Big Chap body, all other Neca alien bodies use double jointed elbows. And the updated Big Chap body uses them too (seen on the Blue Kenner tribute Big Chap and will most certainly use on the 40th anniversary Ultimate version) along with the new swivel in the knees. All have toe articulation and now both the AVP bodies and the new alien warrior bodies have finger articulation.
They had weak joints in the past but the domed warrior, Defiance alien and recent preds all have strong sturdy joints. Literally if they improve the neck articulation so that all xenos can go on all fours, I'll have no other complaints.

To each their own, I just don't believe the ever smaller difference in quality between Neca and Play Arts Kai doesn't justify the high prices.
If the prices would be a bit more reasonable and Play Arts Kai releases something like a Praetorian or a Predalien, I really would consider getting that.

The Old One

The Old One

& I would consider a NECA Alien worthwhile if they fix the dome the neck and the back spines.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 12, 2018, 05:27:15 PM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 12, 2018, 03:17:36 PM.  .

Just look at the Alien in the Hadley's Hope two pack. It's a domed warrior and Neca's best alien to date.

Too bad you have to have Burke to get it.

But honestly, the Lurker has more diverse paint apps on its' head alone that the entirety of a NECA Alien.
The dome translucency is perfect. Not a single seam.
The articulation blows NECAs' out of the water and you'd know that if you ever held one that even the plastic feels like it's made of sterner stuff.

I'll give you an example about the articulation- can a NECA big chap or warrior crawl on all fours in the style of the Covenant Alien or the Runner, or even the Alien warriors in the vents at Hadley's Hope? No?
Well the Lurker can.

It's sad that an Alien figure can't crawl on all fours.
That's where I draw the line- that and misaligned domes.

Well Neca can usually be found for 25.99 and im not seeing the lurker for less than $76. So there should be a huge difference in qaulity.

So for those that are on a budget, neca figures are simply fantastic. But we've already gone over all this so its going to have to be a case of agree to disagree.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Someone had gotten a NECA Ultimate City Hunter and it came apart right out of the package. NECA refunded his purchase AND sent him another one free.

So, if nothing else, they deliver pretty solid customer service.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I have 2 other major hobbies outside of getting NECA's Aliens/Pred stuff that are a lot more expensive. Their relatively low price and variety are what keeps me collecting/customizing. I've only had two issues with NECA's quality, one crappy paint app and one alien with a broken foot (may have been my fault anyways).

I don't see myself ever paying play arts prices for ANYTHING in that scale.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

First version of greyback snapped it's arm straight off trying to bend it. Still haven't glued it back on.

Still Collating...

Neca's early figures were sometimes like playing Russian roulette and that was just plain and simply: bad. I'm so glad I didn't start collecting until they made the improvements. Their customer service is really good most of the time, so I'm glad about that. As long as they continue to work on their QC issues and keep the nice prices, I'll be one happy collector.

I hope the Disney deal doesn't give them any trouble in the future... Though Neca has stated that apparently nothing will change in the immediate future.

P.S. Still waiting on Broken Tusk.   ;D 

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: von on Jul 12, 2018, 04:41:22 PM
Could this be the Upgrade Predator? Looks huge so I wouldn't doubt it!?Pic taken from NECA's twitter!

Is it just me or does that Upgrade sculpt have digitigrade legs?

The Old One

The Old One

Nope, you're right.

Still Collating...

Didn't notice that! I wonder how that'll look in the movie?

slaysaliens

slaysaliens

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 13, 2018, 01:54:37 PM
First version of greyback snapped it's arm straight off trying to bend it. Still haven't glued it back on.

Series 3 of NECA's predators, Greyback, Dog, & Jungle Hunter were all replaced directly by NECA to any customer who had an issue.  There was a problem with the Chinese factory and they were fired when the "recall" started to happen.  Series 4 was from a new and different factory as well as the replacements people got for Series 3.  Anyone who wrote off NECA's quality based off of a Series 3 release is missing out IMHO.  I own over 70 predators, aliens, & terminators and can't complain.  Even if I had more money - no one is as accurate in their sculpts, again IMHO.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: slaysaliens on Jul 15, 2018, 05:29:47 PM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 13, 2018, 01:54:37 PM

Series 3 of NECA's predators, Greyback, Dog, & Jungle Hunter were all replaced directly by NECA to any customer who had an issue.  There was a problem with the Chinese factory and they were fired when the "recall" started to happen.  Series 4 was from a new and different factory as well as the replacements people got for Series 3.  Anyone who wrote off NECA's quality based off of a Series 3 release is missing out IMHO.  I own over 70 predators, aliens, & terminators and can't complain.  Even if I had more money - no one is as accurate in their sculpts, again IMHO.
It's the only figure I have with an issue and I didn't get a replacement back then. My choice since it simply was more trouble getting it sent back and the supplier having to cover.

Still happy with it though, I just need to fix the arm.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

NECA Upgrade Pred.
Called it on the digitigrade legs.

von

von

More pics of Fugitive Predator can be found here:

https://news.toyark.com/2018/07/18/sdcc-2018-neca-aliens-and-predator-display-306893

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jul 19, 2018, 03:11:14 AM
NECA Upgrade Pred.
Called it on the digitigrade legs.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/sabres21768/AE65EB2F-F025-4645-BE5D-2266E8FC6922.jpeg

what could the Assassin Predator be? the Friendlies?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

You're looking at it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed