SH Monsterarts Big Chap is the best!

Started by StayFrosty, Jul 24, 2020, 05:42:33 AM

Author
SH Monsterarts Big Chap is the best! (Read 3,219 times)

StayFrosty

It's simple. I cannot get enough of this figure.

Some great pics were posted here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/47314864@N07/35938991345/in/photostream/

I own one of them (luckily one of the ones that did not suffer from QC issues) and I might collect a small army of them, possibly 5 more. One to represent each member of the human Nostromo crew members.

Granted, Bandai's version here is not nearly the most screen-accurate of all the different versions we have available. I think it's the paint job that draws me to it the most. Not screen accurate either, no. But it's a beautiful figure and a beautiful paint job. Much more to look at than most of the versions out there, most of which have a simply black tone, which is screen accurate. But I find this Big Chap's silver tone from Bandai Monsterarts helps portary a "slimey" look. This is something that plain black cannot exhibit generally. An example is the new Mafex Big Chap. The head looks incredible. Spot on. But the paint job on the body I just find boring.

The Monsterarts version does have a lot of things wrong with the head, but it still looks great. For me this Big Chap is not the version we saw on film, at all - rather, it is an adaptation or rendition. If you find one without the quality control issues that plagued many of them, this is one of the most solid Big Chaps you can own. Feels great in your hands.

This is my favorite Big Chap. I also have the first version Neca released in their Mega-lineup, as well as their 18 inch version. I've owned the Revoltech, the Figma, McFarlane, and a few more. None of those fully exhibit what I want in a good Big Chap figure.

The Monsterarts Big Chap is far from perfect - but so are they all. 

SiL

SiL

I've got one! I think my only problem with it is the front of the dome is way too transparent. I like the skull, but it shouldn't just ... be there. It kind of spoils the face of it a bit.

Other than that I've been super happy with the sculpt, articulation, and the general sturdiness of the one I got.

bobby brown

I prefer the Revoltech Big Chap.

StayFrosty

Quote from: bobby brown on Jul 28, 2020, 08:32:03 PM
I prefer the Revoltech Big Chap.

To each their own. But I personally cannot stand the Revoltech Big Chap. It does look good, there's nothing really "wrong" with it. But I do find it:
- Boring
- Lacking in character
- Simple
- Dull
- Bleak
- Too small

And the inner jaws are much too short. The figure just doesn't do anything for me. But for display, or taking up-close pics, I guess it does the trick.

That being said, I will probably pick one up again as I'm restarting my '79 Alien collection.

judge death

Love the revoltech one, looks superb and has an amazing ability to be posed and far better than neca so far especielly in quality, only thing that could be better is the size and that revoltech only made 3 alien figures :/

426Buddy

The revoltech Queen is all kinds of messed up. Never looked into their other figures.

StayFrosty

Got my Mafex Big Chap today. Will post pics if anyone wants me to.

It absolutely blows everything else out of the water, despite being fally-aparty. I don't care about that. It's fine if you know how to handle figures. It's even better than the Monsterarts version!

SiL

SiL

I really want one based on photos I've seen. Beautiful sculpt.

StayFrosty

Quote from: SiL on Jul 29, 2020, 11:33:50 PM
I really want one based on photos I've seen. Beautiful sculpt.

Here's more pics. And yes, the dome is removable!

BlueMarsalis79

The MAFEX's the best for accuracy if you get one that holds itself together.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed