Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 09, 2021, 03:26:43 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All (Read 94,467 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

I dunno, in the source material the smartgun never really made much sense not to mention the pulse rifle spitting out shells while supposedly being caseless. So personally none of these issues really stand out to me much, but I also don't have much interest in weapons.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

And the use of weapons from centuries ago.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

So space commies design an over under skeet gun, have a capitalist manufacturer produce it, and give it to their militias? Neat

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't mind the smartgun's original design but it would only ever work in urban pacification type of settings and if the carrier had armor to protect him from incoming fire.

You don't actually stand up when your trading rounds with dudes 300 yards away unless you want to be tagged and the smartgun doesn't seem like it has the ability to go prone. 

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

I think they covered that in the technical manual, where its meant to tag dudes before either side sees each other. It's sci fi mumbo jumbo, but its also the rule of cool. I do remember seeing some fan art somewhere of a squad automatic version of the pulse rifle

426Buddy

426Buddy

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

lol

Imagine taking cover behind a berm for cover, and then trying to shoot the enemies from between your feet that you can't see. 

There is no functional prone, lets put it that way.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

A few years ago I read this article about it.

Quote from: Popular MechanicsAccording to ARL, engineers started brainstorming in 2015 looking to increase the lethality of dismounted soldiers. A prototype was completed in 2016. The arm is meant to reduce muscle fatigue and create a stable firing platform for heavy, high recoil weapons. Some other key problems engineers are addressing are making the arm useable by a wide range of body types and balancing the entire harness and arm system against the soldier's weight. The current version uses carbon fiber to replace component weight.

Oddly enough, ARL scientists have actually improved upon the technology of 2179. In the film, the arm harness is attached to the gunner's waist. The Army's arm harness also originally attached to the waist, but soldiers had problems with the device and the harness was moved to the soldier's back. Even better, the arm is a high-tech item that doesn't demand a power source, and won't add batteries or a power generation scheme to the soldier's load.

The 'Alien Movie Arm,' as the harness is undoubtedly destined to be known as, is still undergoing testing to improve ergonomics and aiming accuracy.

https://twitter.com/PopMech/status/971648483072626689

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Drukathi on May 26, 2021, 07:19:29 PM
Ok, here is another one. Doesn't shine, doesn't look sterile. Enjoy.

https://twitter.com/AliensFireteam/status/1397583312445599752

Regardless of the whole Hyperdyne thing, I do actually really like this look.

Drukathi

Drukathi

And another cold steel.
https://twitter.com/AliensFireteam/status/1398308083655397377

Although, it looks cool and I like it, I want to see something more stylish and futuristic. Like sniper rifles in AvP2 or AvP2k10.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I liked AVP 2010's take on the Colonial Marine equipment, this whilst not incongruous to my eyes anyway, comes across overly busy.

Drukathi

Drukathi

https://twitter.com/AliensFireteam/status/1399395243514994688

I like how the description is a reference to one of the stories from Aliens: Bug Hunt.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

They got rid of the ejection port I see. 

Hemi

Hemi

Just to compare, this is the old IGN image. I think the devs are creeping on these boards, haha. Even weirder... they are actually listening to what we have to say...  :)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It would be smart of them to maintain a presence on fan sites like this, but I'm also sure we weren't the only ones to catch it. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed