James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Jan 27, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

Author
James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant (Read 34,576 times)

OpenMaw

NO MORE EGG TALK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE IT STOP NOT AGAIN IT IS MADNESS! NO!  *Cover ears and sings really loudly* "Goodbye horses, I'm flying over you....!"

whiterabbit

Yea, my bad. All this egg talk will ruin breakfast. :P Although there is a hundred page thread in the Alien forum for those who dare wonder.... http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Bishop planting the egg there is one of many theories which attempt - and fail - to logically account for the magical teleporting egg. From what I remember, the producers literally thought the audience would be dumb enough not to question its existence. No deeper than that.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 28, 2017, 06:28:45 AM
Cameron is asking legitimately fair questions but when you read the entire post he's clearly alluding to Ridley's Alien:Covenant as "even a not-so-great one". I mean sure, Ridley has many not so great movies but in the context of the sentence I think he wholly means Alien: Covenant.

Far more likely to mean euther 'Prometheus' (which I believe he referred to, in a Reddit session, as feeling it, "Didn't add up logically," which is the opinion of much of the fandom) or one of his other films which weren't exactly a classic.

Ridley Scott doesn't shit gold. He has his own share of flawed projects, too.

QuoteI have no problems suggesting that maybe there is a little pride at work here. I mean really, it's Ridley Scott's Alien vs James Cameron Avatar.

Why? It was never exclusively Scott's. 'Alien' was very much a collaborative venture.

There's no 'versus' about it and they're good friends.

I even remember something about an advanced screening of 'Avatar' being what convinced RS to make 'Prometheus' a 3D project.

Quote from: neomorpheus on Jan 28, 2017, 09:42:50 AM
I do not like the Queen design over Gigers' designs at all

For the record, it was based on and heavily inspired by Giger's own earlier art - and Giger, himself, loved her.

whiterabbit

Talking about Prometheus to Covenant and it's likely sequels vs Cameron's soon to be 4 Avatar movies. I think it's a little more because for me, it is the director of Alien and the director of Aliens who have two similar yet different products being brought to market over the next few years. The Aliens vs Avatar thing. I'm sure they have great relations but there still has to be some competitive fire there. I mean if there wasn't then why even say anything to begin with.

You trying to taunt us into going full egg?  :P

The Alien Predator

Guys, why are we trying to egg-splain the Alien 3 intro on a James Cameron opinion thread about Alien: Covenant?

StrangeShape

The franchise IS all over the place since Prometheus. Im not saying Prometheus was bad or great, its just that Prometheus did create discrepancies and a whole new genisys of the creature. Before Prometheus, everything was pretty much in order for decades - queen lays the egg, egg contains a facehugger, facehugger impregnates the host, chestburster bursts through the chest, an alien is born, gathers hosts, kills enemies, sets up the hive etc. Prometheus changed that and Ridley making it havent even remembered the other movies , at one point he said "one was set in a prison, wasnt it?" so ..you know. Its not your usual sequel that tries to fit in with the mythology and set ground rules, so the alien biology for  example now IS all over the place. You can make a case that AVP:R did that first with Predalien tho, but not to that extent

Im also against any more alien movies. I think the story ended beautifully with Alien 3 and it shouldve stayed this way.

Btw, the terminator revival thing is just a hearsay rumor which to my personal knowledge is nothing but a baseless rumor

Im amazed what people read into these comments. Im also personally amazed that people still want more alien movies after everything weve got after Alien 3

tarantino didnt like Prometheus either btw, i guess hes also offending entire alien fanbase

Challengerrtfan

Challengerrtfan

Cameron only wants to ensure his contribution to the franchise remains the test to which all others are measured.  Alien 5 needs to be made to end the confusion that the mess called Prometheus created.  The ideas blomkamp present are far more interesting than anything Cameron proposes. 

skhellter

for the record, Tarantino liked Prometheus.

...and he also thought it was dumb af.

SM

SM

How did Prometheus change the basic life cycle?

whiterabbit

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 29, 2017, 06:58:47 AMIm also personally amazed that people still want more alien movies after everything weve got after Alien 3
I find this positively amazing, myself.

Quote from: StrangeShapetarantino didnt like Prometheus either btw, i guess hes also offending entire alien fanbase
I'll be honest. It's his opinion. However I don't give two rats about tarantino movies. I actually looked up his filmography too. Pulp fiction, inglorious bastards... the hateful 8. Yea, lots of people love that and that's great. The world is a wonderful place with diverse opinions but I don't care about his. I do care about Cameron's though.

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jan 29, 2017, 10:56:41 AM
http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/29/james-cameron-throws-ironic-shade-at-ridley-scott-for-making-another-alien-sequel-6412750/?ito=twitter

Interesting reading some interpretations from the press.
See, even the sort of press gets it. I mean I full heartily believe it was Cameron's intention to light a fire under someones ass. Presumably Scott's.

Darth Vile

Not at all. He's just stating that the Alien franchise has painted itself into a corner, cinematically speaking. We all know that... and that's exactly why Scott made Prometheus in the first place.

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

I for one am cautiously optimistic, particularly because Alien: Covenant reunites Ridley Scott with screenwriter John Logan. This is the duo responsible for bringing audiences the critically acclaimed 2000 film Gladiator. It earned $457million worldwide, as well as nabbing five Academy Awards and nominations for a further seven.

Prometheus was packed with mesmerizing visuals, and it's my stance that John Logan's take on Covenant's script will balance out the visceral element with equally great storytelling. 8)

Darth Vile

I think as long as Scott improves some of the elements that didn't work quite so well in Prometheus, I think Covenant will be at least a good sci-fi/thriller in its own right... wether it expands the narrative in a qualitative way remains to be seen. I certainly think the trailer makes it look a bit more, aesethically, like the original. I'm quietly confident...

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Jan 29, 2017, 04:49:41 PM
I for one am cautiously optimistic, particularly because Alien: Covenant reunites Ridley Scott with screenwriter John Logan. This is the duo responsible for bringing audiences the critically acclaimed 2000 film Gladiator. It earned $897 million worldwide, as well as nabbing five Academy Awards and nominations for a further seven.

897 million? Excluding DVD and Blu Ray sells, Gladiator sold cinema tickets worth 457 million. It didn't earn 457 million. You have to consider budget (103 million), cost of distribution and marketing. Box office is not equal with real profit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed