ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,927 times)

predxeno

predxeno

I've been wondering about that as well.  Do the Arcturians even have tech to begin with?  I don't know if Moore deliberately knew that he was referencing AVPR but I think it's pretty clear that he took inspiration from it since it's the only film to suggest that humans took advantage of alien technology and since this is a VERY small detail in the book, it isn't inconceivable that Fox may have overlooked it when editing the story.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 21, 2014, 11:14:07 AM
I think Sea of Sorrows is more referring to things like Arcturian tech and possibly Engineer tech that Galgo brings back after Fire and Stone.

I was thinking that as well since you mentioned it at the Fire and Stone thread.

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 04:45:25 PM
I don't know if Moore deliberately knew that he was referencing AVPR but I think it's pretty clear that he took inspiration from it since it's the only film to suggest that humans took advantage of alien technology

I haven't read Sea of Sorrows, I have no intentions of reading Sea of Sorrows or even any of the Titan Publishing books. But I have to question this. I know that Moore has said that he has said all of the Alien films, or at least that's why I remember but has he seen any of the AvP films? He hasn't made any indication that he's seen them, at least to my knowledge anyway.

predxeno

The thing is, if he wasn't referring to the Predators then who was he referring to in that quote?  Exactly how many different technologically advanced alien species do fans think exist in the Alien universe? ???  I wasn't aware that the AVP franchise had turned into the Star Wars/Star Trek universe.

Ultramorph

He does say that the Arcturians were the first intelligent life human same into contact with, implying that there were others subsequently. I don't quite see it as Star Trek levels, but it does seem that Moore is setting up a future where humans at least to some extent are in contact with a few alien races.

As far as the AvPR thing, I think the lines about W-Y reverse engineering alien tech are supposed to be a vague allusion to post-Prometheus events where they get some Engineer technical goodies. Heck, even the mysterious "260 years" line gets us a date of 2237, which if we allow for some rounding, is close enough to Fire and Stone's 2219 setting.

predxeno

predxeno

Tbh, the idea of multiple technologically advanced aliens is possibly a worse idea than the AVP movies combined; the EU stories I really detested were the ones where they showed up because they took attention away from the actual stars of the story, the Aliens.  You have a point saying that the Arcturians were the "first" intelligent alien life encountered but I don't think there are dozens of these alien species out there, otherwise the find in the Sea of Sorrows novel would have been of significantly lesser importance in comparison.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 07:47:27 PM
Tbh, the idea of multiple technologically advanced aliens is possibly a worse idea than the AVP movies combined

I thought you liked the AvP movies. Especially how you defend Requiem. Mind you I'm not ridiculing you, but.. You kinda confused me there a bit with that little statement.  :-\

predxeno

I never said I liked the first AVP film but I DO like AVPR, however I will admit that upon some reflection AVPR was less set up as a genuine Alien/Predator film and more as a teen slasher flick with mindless gore, dumb teenagers, and sex/rape scenes.  AVPR was the first ever teen slasher I saw so that could have influenced my enjoyment of the story (that and I was already used to reading EU stories that followed a similar genre trend).  I still vouch for AVPR as one of my all-time favorite films but I also understand that if it wasn't the first teen slasher I ever saw then there is a chance I may not have liked it as much as I did when first seeing it.

Cvalda

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 06:40:56 AM
Yeah, lol, it's mentioned that there were rumors that the reason Wey-Yu was so technologically advanced was because it got its tech through alien technology.  Assuming Fox nixes all the Aliens comics and novels that introduces new species of aliens intelligent enough to produce technology then the only alien species that we have met to produce such tech are the Predators and the Engineers; there's the obvious reference to Pred tech in AVPR and how it influenced future human space travel, but there's no evidence at all of human acquisition of Engineer technology especially since their tech is bio-organic.
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 04:45:25 PM
I've been wondering about that as well.  Do the Arcturians even have tech to begin with?  I don't know if Moore deliberately knew that he was referencing AVPR but I think it's pretty clear that he took inspiration from it since it's the only film to suggest that humans took advantage of alien technology and since this is a VERY small detail in the book, it isn't inconceivable that Fox may have overlooked it when editing the story.
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 06:37:31 PM
The thing is, if he wasn't referring to the Predators then who was he referring to in that quote?  Exactly how many different technologically advanced alien species do fans think exist in the Alien universe? ???  I wasn't aware that the AVP franchise had turned into the Star Wars/Star Trek universe.
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 07:47:27 PM
Tbh, the idea of multiple technologically advanced aliens is possibly a worse idea than the AVP movies combined; the EU stories I really detested were the ones where they showed up because they took attention away from the actual stars of the story, the Aliens.  You have a point saying that the Arcturians were the "first" intelligent alien life encountered but I don't think there are dozens of these alien species out there, otherwise the find in the Sea of Sorrows novel would have been of significantly lesser importance in comparison.
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 08:06:26 PM
I never said I liked the first AVP film but I DO like AVPR, however I will admit that upon some reflection AVPR was less set up as a genuine Alien/Predator film and more as a teen slasher flick with mindless gore, dumb teenagers, and sex/rape scenes.  AVPR was the first ever teen slasher I saw so that could have influenced my enjoyment of the story (that and I was already used to reading EU stories that followed a similar genre trend).  I still vouch for AVPR as one of my all-time favorite films but I also understand that if it wasn't the first teen slasher I ever saw then there is a chance I may not have liked it as much as I did when first seeing it.

predxeno

Cvalda, I am getting REALLY tired of your small attempts to ridicule me, I am asking you to please lay off these juvenile posts or I will have to take more drastic action.  As I said before, I would never laugh at you no matter what your argument so I am asking for the same courtesy in return.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 08:06:26 PM

I liked the AVP films, and I think we share some of the same outlook that the EU influenced me when I saw the films because there were heavy traces of it in the movie-- such as the blooding ritual, the fact that Predators were breeding Xenomorphs to be used in the hunt, and other stuff. However I will say that AvP-R does have it's flaws and they can't really be ignored. I still like both movies myself and the connections to the EU are there. I grew up with the EU, so maybe that's why I particularly like the movies so much.

I'm not going to lie and say the AvP movies we got are the ones we really wanted. I think that Fox should've taken the gambit and go with Briggs' script. It would've been many fans' wish fulfillment but studio heads kept on changing, there was studio handling involved, and all that stuff.. We didn't get a movie set in space with Marines. But even if we have gotten Briggs' script, would it have really fulfilled our wishes to what we wanted? Hard to say.

Back on topic.. Do I like the retcon which Fox is aiming to execute? HELL NO! But the decision is up to Fox whether we like it or not. Yeah, it sucks that storylines and characters we grew up with and enjoyed may no longer exist in the Alien-Predator universe(s) but like Stephani said.. Enjoy what you enjoy, and if you don't like Fox's decisions, take your business elsewhere.

I'm still contemplating on whether or not from jumping ship. I'm already going back to other franchises and fandom which I like, but Alien-Predator was something I was passionate about. So you're not alone on this PredXeno.

predxeno

The first AVP film was enjoyable on the first watch but what I think ultimately ruined any rewatch value is the fact that Paul Anderson copied AVP: Prey's storyline word-for-word and made the film PG-13 instead of the hardcore R that the franchise deserves; I would like the story much better if it were an original one.  Also, Paul Andrerson cheaped out and only included three predators where the original script had five; you can still find out what happened to the missing 2 preds if you read the movie novelization.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 08:22:22 PM
Cvalda, I am getting REALLY tired of your small attempts to ridicule me, I am asking you to please lay off these juvenile posts or I will have to take more drastic action.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2014, 11:10:54 AM
Looks like the ol' predxeno, trying to make something out of nothing magic, is back.  ;D
And he's hellbent on dragging that nothing out to fifty pages of insane interior monologue, as usual

predxeno

You know, I once knew a person who couldn't fit into the community he lived in and thus went to the online world for the support he couldn't find in his real world.  Online, he found people who not only shared his interests but also had a maturity and sophistication to them that seemed to elude the community he lived in; they didn't care about petty things such as gossip, small talk, or teasing, but preferred to talk about the big picture.  Regardless of what disagreements they may have had, the online community always handled things with professionalism, it was perhaps this that drew him into their world and their community.  It's a sad day, indeed, when that person realizes just how many similarities his two worlds share and just how commonplace his once treasured world was.

SM

SM

He mad?
QuoteYeah, it sucks that storylines and characters we grew up with and enjoyed may no longer exist in the Alien-Predator universe(s) but like Stephani said.. Enjoy what you enjoy, and if you don't like Fox's decisions, take your business elsewhere.

Who cares?  Those stories are still there for you to enjoy.  Why anyone would suddenly crack the shits about Fox going a new direction now, when that's all they've been doing continually for 25 years is a little baffling.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2014, 09:54:03 PM
Who cares?  Those stories are still there for you to enjoy.  Why anyone would suddenly crack the shits about Fox going a new direction now, when that's all they've been doing continually for 25 years is a little baffling.

Indeed.  Fox has not and never will give a flying f**k about continuity in this franchise.  Unless there is a total reboot of everything don't worry about it.  It really is not worth the trouble trying to get it to all fit in.  Just enjoy the stories the way you normally would and throw up the deuces. 

These are the same motherf**kers that encouraged ACM. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed