ADI to work on Blomkamp's Alien?

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 23, 2015, 12:19:41 AM

Author
ADI to work on Blomkamp's Alien? (Read 3,347 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Not sure if this comment is intended as a serious response or if it is a sort of joke due to their association with the films that he is planning on retconning, but either way I thought it was worth posting since it's coming aright from Blomkamp's Twitter account that we've been getting a lot of other news from in regards to this project.

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/578003404351406080

If it is true, I have no complaints. ADI can do and have done some truly excellent work. I'm sure they could do an excellent job creating a Giger-esque Alien under Blomkamp's direction. That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Weta Workshop on board for the practical effects.

bioweapon

bioweapon

What they did for the Thing prequel and A3 was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdgqRf86rcQ

Xenomorphine

I honestly can't tell if he's joking or not. The wording is strange.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

He's saying "ADI it is, sir".

I'm perfectly fine with ADI. Their work on 'Alien3' was great, and the Wolf Predator in AvPR ruled. They've also done a TON of awesome work on other unrelated projects.
Some of their other stuff was questionable in Resurrection and the AvP movies, but I chalk a lot of that up to "director preference". ADI did what the directors wanted, I can't hold that against them.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Harbinger Down turns out. They just wrapped editing and everything, apparently the movie comes out around November of this year.

Xhan

Xhan

Their work on the thing was solid, most of everything else they've done has been not solid or more along solid waste.

Quotedirector

Makings of say otherwise. They presented ranges of generally subpar designs that people picked from and in Res's case they had almost carte blanche and what they came up with was horrendous by any definition.

They generally get monsters, they don't really get the Alien-by-concept, and the "homages" border on deviantart clumsy.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteThey presented ranges of generally subpar designs that people picked from and in Res's case they had almost carte blanche and what they came up with was horrendous by any definition.
It baffles me that the directors would look at the designs ADI was offering and not say, "Can you make it more like the first two films? As in, good?" and ADI wouldn't do it. If the directors didn't do that, that's on them. Or if they did do that and ADI said "nope, we can't do it" (despite them, you know, doing it with 'Alien3'), it's still on the directors for not exercising control over their own movies.

whiterabbit

I don't know what to think about this. What I saw, to me, wasn't inspiring. Of course it was just a quickie session but, meh.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Off topic but hahahaha... looking at some of his earlier tweets, seems like Wired won't be getting any more exclusive interviews with Blomkamp!  :laugh:

Gash

Gash

Quote from: bioweapon on Mar 23, 2015, 05:25:02 AM
What they did for the Thing prequel and A3 was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdgqRf86rcQ

That would have looked a lot better if they'd gone to the trouble of finding a tall, skinny guy. Then it wouldn't even have come down to movement, it would have looked otherwordly just standing there.

Xenomorphine

That video reminds me of how weirdly thick the legs and arms were, not just the neck. That costume needed a lot more work on it.

They've done some very impressive stuff elsewhere, but Blomkamp is like Cameron, in so far as he's a designer who apparently likes to get hands-on, himself. ADI could hugely benefit from a personality like that.

NickisSmart

ADI has a bad tendency of getting their work replaced with digital. Their amazing work for the Thing was utterly ruined by that.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 23, 2015, 11:58:06 AM
Off topic but hahahaha... looking at some of his earlier tweets, seems like Wired won't be getting any more exclusive interviews with Blomkamp!  :laugh:
Could you elaborate on that?

Quote from: NickisSmart on Mar 24, 2015, 12:39:36 AM
ADI has a bad tendency of getting their work replaced with digital. Their amazing work for the Thing was utterly ruined by that.
That's only when the studio steps in and starts meddling.

And to be honest, as awesome as their practical stuff was for 'The Thing' prequel, I didn't have a problem with the CGI (especially on repeat viewings).

NickisSmart

In and of itself, the digital effects kind of work. But compared to the practical stuff, I just can't understand why the studio made the change. : (

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I do think ADI take far more stick than they deserve to. Their work in AvP/R was just recycled from AR to save costs. I think with a director like Blomkamp who likes to get his hands on, they will probably create a really nice Alien-esque approach for this. Just a hunch, of course, but just from the way Blomkamp is talking about Alien and Isolation, I certainly see a return to that appearance.

Nightmare Asylum

Absolutely agreed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed