Empire Interview: "at least a film, if not more – that still contained Ripley"

Started by T Dog, Mar 07, 2015, 12:50:45 PM

Author
Empire Interview: "at least a film, if not more – that still contained Ripley" (Read 3,310 times)

Vrastal

I hate that Ripley has to be connected to aliens, aliens exist without her.

Intrepid-Traveler

Weaver is an incredible actor and she sells Ripley like no other. I welcome as many sequels as the movie can support. This could bring about an AVP movie that actually doesn't suck, or a predators movie that doesn't need to be a remake/reboot that could take place in the future, or in a setting that isn't another feckin jungle.

Born Of Cold Light

What's the big deal about his using the word xenomorph?

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Mar 13, 2015, 04:40:46 AM
Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 13, 2015, 03:45:13 AM
Born dont!

LOL

But seriously, I'm kind of getting tired of movies these days all having some explicit set up for a sequel.  I mean, it's one thing to do it for a fixed series such as Star Wars or LOTR (and even they don't resort to the you-have-to-watch-at-least-minutes-of-credits-to-have-any-understanding-of-what-is-going-to-happen-in-the-next-film gimmick), but it just gets tiring after a while.  Alien, Aliens, and Alien Resurrection all left things open for another sequel but they didn't throw it in your face.

Mr. Clemens

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my view naming the Alien 'Xenomorph' makes it cease to be alien - it's now more like something you could look up in an encyclopedia.

Interestingly, it was only the EU that explicitly named the creature a 'Xenomorph'. When Gorman called it by that name in Aliens, it seemed pretty clear that 'xenomorph' was a blanket term for any as-yet uncatalogued extra-terrestrial life form.

Alien³

Ripley uses the term in A3. Even spelling it out for 85.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

I forgot about that, but it doesn't really change anything. Gorman used the term 'xenomorph' the same way one would use the term 'wild animal'. Ripley just used the word that he used. I still haven't seen anything in the films to suggest that 'xenomorph' is the aliens' name now.

And it shouldn't have one... it's the ALIEN!  ;D

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 13, 2015, 04:47:33 AM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Mar 13, 2015, 04:40:46 AM
Born dont!

LOL

But seriously, I'm kind of getting tired of movies these days all having some explicit set up for a sequel.  I mean, it's one thing to do it for a fixed series such as Star Wars or LOTR (and even they don't resort to the you-have-to-watch-at-least-minutes-of-credits-to-have-any-understanding-of-what-is-going-to-happen-in-the-next-film gimmick), but it just gets tiring after a while.  Alien, Aliens, and Alien Resurrection all left things open for another sequel but they didn't throw it in your face.

The problem is, welcome to Capitalism there are no limits for 10 sequels as long as it generates millions.

Powerloader88

When the Alien films were still ongoing back in the 90's when I was a kid I can't recall there ever being any discussion about making full-on trilogies of them or 4 to 5 films down the line. That kind of irritating and over excited talk has come in really during the last decade. It was one film at a time back then and franchises were always better for it.

I really don't think Sigourney is going to do another Alien after this. I'm sure Fox will carry on making some more in the distant future but far as I'm concerned this next one will be the final. It's really great to finally have Ripley back. I've struggled with the spin-off's that came like Prometheus and AvP in which she didn't feature. I still like them but the Alien series without Ripley back in the 90's was quite unthinkable. And since Weaver seems adamant this really will be her last hurrah, this is where the series also stops for me regardless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed