Empire Interview: "at least a film, if not more – that still contained Ripley"

Started by T Dog, Mar 07, 2015, 12:50:45 PM

Author
Empire Interview: "at least a film, if not more – that still contained Ripley" (Read 3,308 times)

T Dog

"2014 was a really weird year for me because I usually know quite decisively what I want to do, and in the process of post-production on Chappie, I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do. I had a bunch of different ideas for different films. My favourite, on a gut instinct, artistic level, was Alien, by a long way.

"But I had this inhibiting mental roadblock about wanting to work on my own stuff – and not being held accountable, whether it's by a studio or by fans, or whoever, I just wanted to be left alone to do my stuff. That's kind of a big deal for me.

"If you go back even three or four years, I've wanted to make a film in that genre, in that franchise. I'd come up with an idea, and when I met Sigourney (Weaver) on the set of Chappie, I presumed that she would never want to play Ripley again. Rightly or wrongly, I had that in my head. I also didn't know where you could go with her, given Alien 3 and 4.

"So when I started speaking to her, I just wanted to know more about the process of making the first two films. The first two are the ones that I care about. Then I started to realise there was a whole film – at least a film, if not more – that still contained Ripley, which I was really surprised by.

"So when I went back to Vancouver for 2014 unclear of what I wanted to make, I knew that my artistic compass kept driving me to Alien. Whenever I wasn't needed on Chappie, I spent time on Alien, to the point where I hired my own concept artist and fleshed the entire movie out, basically. Even then, I still didn't know if I wanted to do it.

"Every film I do, I genuinely believe it's the last I'll do. I didn't think I'd make another film, let alone a big studio one. But it came from a place of love, and I was like, 'If I'm a fan, then other fans should see the stuff.' Here's one person's take on it, you know? So Fox didn't know.

"I saw Sigourney again, and her enthusiasm in it, and me still not knowing what I was doing... Well, the thing that actually made it really clear was that we have xenomorphs all over the house [including drinking glasses depicting graphic scenes from the films]. No bullshit, that actually is what made me realise that there's a massive portion of my brain that's taken up by the world of the xenomorph. And I'm like, 'Hmm. Valid point.'"

The Cruentus

Interesting, lets hope he gets to do it his way with no studio interference.

Son Of Kane

Please, please do not aspire to make many sequels starring Ripley unless you're confident you can't tell this story in one film.

Focus on making one good film, forget about ways to make a sequel.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, enter this film with the mindset that it is going to be the only one.

Xenomorphine

It sounds like that's what he's doing. Discussions with Weaver have been responsible for giving him an idea for how to do at least one entire story, with some threads for possible expansion which come from it.

The more I hear about this film, the more it seems to mirror aspects of the creative process of 'Aliens', itself. Irony, if ever there was.

The Cruentus

Yeah, Cameron was aways talking to Weaver about her character, and she would tell him how Ripley should act, so a lot of good came from that creative process.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

A potential Alien 6 with Weaver? No thank you!  :-\

Eight movies (counting the AvPs and Prometheus films for completion) total with a potential ninth? No thanks. I'm getting burned out here.

TimmyTurnersDad

Hmm. I'm skeptical that there'll still be more films following this one that will continue Ripley's story, though I don't doubt that there will be more Alien films after this. I still maintain that the next film will likely star either Newt or another character introduced in Alienkamp as a successor to Ripley.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on Mar 07, 2015, 05:51:16 PM
Hmm. I'm skeptical that there'll still be more films following this one that will continue Ripley's story, though I don't doubt that there will be more Alien films after this. I still maintain that the next film will likely star either Newt or another character introduced in Alienkamp as a successor to Ripley.

I don't doubt that there will be Alien sequels, or even an Alien reboot for that matter.

OpenMaw

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 07, 2015, 05:25:39 PM
A potential Alien 6 with Weaver? No thank you!  :-\

Eight movies (counting the AvPs and Prometheus films for completion) total with a potential ninth? No thanks. I'm getting burned out here.

I'm not fully certain I understand you here... If you're burnt out just don't watch the new films?  :)

Corporal Hicks

Let's see how Alien 5 does first. I'm hoping they close off her story personally. It's time the Alien films tried to develop strength without the Ripley character (the AvP's don't count, we all know that).

Gash

He used the word xenomorph.  :'(

Jarac

Hopefully he carries that attitude of "Going into this movie thinking it's the last one" with him into Alien V. Tell the story you want to, finish Ripley's story in one movie, then close the Ripley arc for good.

Spoiler
Personally, I want to see what (Captain) Demian Brackett will be up to after his escape in River of Pain. He's got something up his sleeve, and it involves taking down Weyland-Yutani.
[close]

OpenMaw

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 11, 2015, 02:55:51 PM
Tell the story you want to, finish Ripley's story in one movie, then close the Ripley arc for good.

You know, you'd think killing her would have done that already.

Tough lady, that Ripley.

Mr. Clemens

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed