Will the xeno be completely CGI in Alien 5?

Started by Magegg, Mar 04, 2015, 11:55:21 PM

Author
Will the xeno be completely CGI in Alien 5? (Read 2,874 times)

Gash

The Deacon was filmed as a rod puppet on set for lighting purposes, but it was always intended that it would be recreated with CGI for more flexibility.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Deacon was a dummy, rod puppet and CGI. All made it into the film one way or the other.

Xenomorphine

The Deacon, unfortunately, looked fake. Whether you're using practical effects or virtual, realism and screen presence is what matter.

However, judging by the 'District 9' creatures and what I've just seen of the 'Chappie' robotics, I honestly have every faith that, no matter how the story will turn out, the creatures will look stunning. Possibly the best ever.

SizzyBubbles

I really love a good, balanced mix of practical and CGI ( think like Jurassic Park for example). Yeah technology for making CGI characters has gotten better over the years, but so has making practical ones! I wouldn't be surprised if for Alien 5 they used a practical alien for close shots (like the close up 'kill shots' of the mouth in all the films) and a CG one for wide or action shots.
Even so, they could make a sweet waist-up practical alien animatronic :3
Just my thoughts.

aliennaire

Didn't he already build full size Alien head while working on the concept art for Alien project on specs?

In his Elysium interviews, Neill asserted his respect to practical effects, so probably all close up scenes will have puppets or animatronics, whereas CGI will fill panoramic scenes. Sharlto Copley was joking he could do capture performance for Alien creatures, as he did for Chappie character :)

SizzyBubbles

For sure, he seems to have a big respect for practical FX from what I've seen in the making-of stuff on the blu-rays. Goodgood! Like i said, i like a balance of both.

Vrastal

A good blend would eb best but nothing will beat seeing a good alien costume

Intrepid-Traveler

I think of it this way:

Close ups/tight shots and slow moving/non action sequences with the aliens will all be practical.

Fast moving/horde of aliens/crawling and distant shots will probably be CGI. Also there is a new trend of making the inner jaws CG, but I'm a fan of the practical jaw myself.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: aliennaire on Mar 12, 2015, 06:55:23 PM
Didn't he already build full size Alien head while working on the concept art for Alien project on specs?

In his Elysium interviews, Neill asserted his respect to practical effects, so probably all close up scenes will have puppets or animatronics, whereas CGI will fill panoramic scenes. Sharlto Copley was joking he could do capture performance for Alien creatures, as he did for Chappie character :)

It's an existing retail bust. I can't remember the manufacturer but he didn't have it made or anything.

HuDaFuK

I'd be surprised if they went full-CGI. I imagine it'll be a combo of CGI and practical.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we get a greater percentage done in CGI, likely mo-capped.

aliennaire

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 13, 2015, 08:31:13 AM
It's an existing retail bust. I can't remember the manufacturer but he didn't have it made or anything.
Thanks for elucidation! Still I hope they will build some of those for the filming  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed