Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 244,266 times)

Highland

Personally I enjoy the imagery, the way they've captured the creature in the scene, the shadows, build up etc. Covenant has some of these, the Neo bent over eating the chick, the Xeno standing up in the hanger.... that's about it.

I didn't like seeing it in the light or farting around the Covenant. The jump down from the roof bit was too AVP and we never saw the jumping through the tunnel part which was supposed to be in the original Alien too. I'm surprised he left that out after not being able to do it the first time.

The Highlander MacLeod

The Highlander MacLeod

Alien was never meant to be on the same level as Star Wars/Star Trek. The Xenomorph is a one-dimensional character from the standpoint it's a killing machine. It does the same thing no matter how many films are made about the creature. Besides, what is the point of making "prequels" that lead up to the 1979 film? Prometheus was great because the filmmakers were willing to think outside the box, thus creating a new spin on the Alien universe. To see an Alien film that didn't have senseless bloodletting would have been most welcome.   

BishopShouldGo

Never meant to be? You're speaking as if a franchise's popularity is up to the studio or filmmakers lol.

bb-15

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 29, 2017, 06:11:54 PM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 28, 2017, 12:05:36 AM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 27, 2017, 06:45:53 PM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 26, 2017, 11:41:31 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 26, 2017, 10:24:50 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2017, 12:33:57 PM
For body-horror, maybe, depending on how it's handled, A lot of what makes horror work is what's not shown. PG-13 doesn't automatically mean jump scares, there are a bunch of quality PG-13 horror movies that are scary because of the sense of looming dread, tension, and as mentioned, what isn't shown.

Shit, aside from the rampant profanity and the colonist chestburster scene in 'Aliens', that movie is practically bloodless. A reworking of the dialogue would turn that movie into an easy PG-13 by today's standards. Even Bishop getting torn in half wouldn't trigger an R-rateing, as the MPAA only cares about actual genuine bona-fide red human blood when it comes to gore. You can show aliens or robots being blasted apart and dismembered to your heart's content, and it's not considered "gory".
All this undoubtedly carefully planned by James Cameron. Imagine if Hicks or Newt got ripped apart by the Alien queen, the movie wouldn't been anywhere close to as popular as it is now. The soccer moms in the audience would've raged and screamed, but by making the victim a robot that can take being ripped in two, he includes as much of the audience as possible while still doing a good job showcasing the queen's power.

Also, using Logan and Deadpool as indicators that R-rated movies can do well is a pretty bad representative sample given that both of those movies are capeshit diarrhea which nowadays audiences keep craving in higher and higher doses.

It wouldn't have been as popular because that's a crap idea.
Because all the heroes and kids have to survive to make it a good movie? Imagine if the Alien queen had ripped Hicks apart, and Ripley and Bishop had to team up to beat her, with Bishop also getting destroyed in the process. You'd still have the kid surviving to please soccer moms, but the Alien queen would've seemed a lot more powerful as opposed to losing a 1v1 vs a powerloader.

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 27, 2017, 12:16:33 AM
Too many kids post here I think, they want Marvel superhero movies not Alien.  They want movies for kids, not adults.
Nah, I think most consumers of these movies are actually fully grown adults, for some reason.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 27, 2017, 07:26:27 AM
Who the heck wants a sequel to Covenant with the way it ended. So let me guess... the colonists get infected and someone has to save the day, and it leads into LV-426 in Alien? Ridley is so obsessed with that backdoor shit. Screw that. Damon had the right idea. Run tangentially, not right behind.
The fun thing about the prequels is that there's no telling what's going to happen, whereas with e.g. a Blomkamp movie it would've been superpredictable (something happens, Alien outbreak, Ripley saves the day). Thank God that Ridley Scott in his old age is willing to break stale conventions, now we just need a slightly tighter script.

98/94 % critic and fan base still say's your ending Aliens ending sucks. Your Alien in Covenant got beat by one mom, twice.
The xeno in Covenant is probably not fully evolved, it has an extreme and uncontrolled aggression, and in both cases it was defeated by Daniels, Tennessee and "Walter" working together. The Queen (which is supposed to be stronger than a Warrior) was literally defeated by only Ripley in an exosuit. It's still a decent scene, but with the changes I proposed it would've been much less Disney and would've been more pleasing overall to most mature audience members I'd wager.

* First, I agree with you that it took 3 characters coordinating their attack to defeat the proto-xenomorph in "Covenant".
Just in terms of Alien style action that worked for me.

* With the ending of "Aliens" the story's purpose is different. It's not supposed to be a realistic comparison between the power of a xenomorph/the Queen vs. a human/Ripley (+ loader).
- After all, the Queen while being blown out of the airlock has grabbed on to Ripley and Ripley is holing onto the rung of a ladder with one arm. 
It's absurd but it still works.
- The last act of "Aliens" builds Ripley up as a female super action character. Still the best woman action role imo also with good acting by Weaver.

;)

Gash

Quote from: The Highlander MacLeod on Dec 30, 2017, 05:42:50 PM
To see an Alien film that didn't have senseless bloodletting would have been most welcome.

Alien is body horror, whether it's explicitly shown or implied, that is the essence of it.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 30, 2017, 09:30:40 AMWell, not for its own sake, but yes, although not every death scene has to be brutal, and not every death scene has to purely visceral. Sometimes the audial aspect can be even more terrifying. For example, Hallett's screams in Covenant are in a way even more terrifying than the thing coming out of his mouth.

Overal, I like it somewhat realistic and in proportion (horror comedies are an exception).
District 9 comes to mind. That's a proper display of violence.
Brawl In CB 99 was brutal but it was done right.
Even the last Rambo movie. There's a part where enemies are almost shot to pieces, because that's what a heavy calibre machine gun does to a human body.

SM

And in Rambo it just looked comical.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Dec 31, 2017, 03:53:32 AM
And in Rambo it just looked comical.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
For me it was about how the blood and damage to the bodies were in proportion.

Highland

The Queen holding on to Ripley's leg was actually taken from Scotts original too. The Alien was supposed to hold on to her ankle as it got forced out into space.

There's a hell of a lot of things Cameron took from Alien that were either on screen or story boarded.

The Highlander MacLeod

The Highlander MacLeod

@BishopShouldGo: About the Alien franchise, my point was that Ridley Scott wanted to make a film that was not like Star Wars-he says as much in the commentary for the 1979's Alien. At the end of the day, we should be able to agree to disagree.

The Highlander MacLeod

The Highlander MacLeod

@Gash: That was merely my opinion, my preference.

Dimitri

Dimitri

This page is the only page comes up when I google 'AI is a stupid baby' in the google news.

windebieste

Considering Scott is adamant about there being another movie, I would say he knows something we don't.

I'm thinking he's signed contracts with Fox to do more movies and such contracts might be inviolable regardless of who owns the property. Scott won't care who owns the property - just so long as his involvement is assured.

Remember, the man has been involved in the movie industry for 4 decades, making movies and signing contracts. 

I am very confident he will be involved in the next movie just by listening to his assurances. 

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

If he has a contract it could be paid off without making the movie.  This has happened before.  A contract is no guarantee they'll make another one.

I reckon if we don't hear anything in the next few months then it's either delayed or cancelled.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 02, 2018, 12:40:04 AM
I reckon if we don't hear anything in the next few months then it's either delayed or cancelled.

It's been delayed since Covenant didn't perform as well as everyone expected and Fox had Scott off looking for a new direction to go with. However, with the whole Disney thing on the horizon I think it's unlikely we'll see another Alien film until after that's all done.

Unless Fox has commented about actively green-lighting new films? I know they said that anything already in production was safe but I'm not sure I've seen them comment on putting anything new out?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed