Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 244,852 times)

Beatnation

Quote from: SM on Dec 26, 2017, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 26, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 08:37:20 PM
Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 26, 2017, 07:58:54 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 06:29:11 PM
maybe yeah, but theyve done that with Pixar and Marvel by getting someone who knows and cares about the history

Pick one.

Im talking about the movies, not the comics

Talking about the movies here, do you really think they are good or even decent movie and not egenric bullcrap for the masses??, well... to each his own I guess...

I love the Marvel movies and don't find them egenric at all.

You surely love AlienS too right? probably your favorite of the franchise or *tied* (ha) with Alien, Marvel movies are just generic kiddie films with no stakes whatoever.

But I guess you are happy Disney own Fox now right?

SM

No, Alien is my favourite.

You seem a little  threatened by the opinions of others however.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2017, 12:33:57 PM
For body-horror, maybe, depending on how it's handled, A lot of what makes horror work is what's not shown. PG-13 doesn't automatically mean jump scares, there are a bunch of quality PG-13 horror movies that are scary because of the sense of looming dread, tension, and as mentioned, what isn't shown.

Shit, aside from the rampant profanity and the colonist chestburster scene in 'Aliens', that movie is practically bloodless. A reworking of the dialogue would turn that movie into an easy PG-13 by today's standards. Even Bishop getting torn in half wouldn't trigger an R-rateing, as the MPAA only cares about actual genuine bona-fide red human blood when it comes to gore. You can show aliens or robots being blasted apart and dismembered to your heart's content, and it's not considered "gory".
All this undoubtedly carefully planned by James Cameron. Imagine if Hicks or Newt got ripped apart by the Alien queen, the movie wouldn't been anywhere close to as popular as it is now. The soccer moms in the audience would've raged and screamed, but by making the victim a robot that can take being ripped in two, he includes as much of the audience as possible while still doing a good job showcasing the queen's power.

Also, using Logan and Deadpool as indicators that R-rated movies can do well is a pretty bad representative sample given that both of those movies are capeshit diarrhea which nowadays audiences keep craving in higher and higher doses.

Huggs

"Disney gonna turn Alien in a joke, a quip fest, exactly like the MCU and the Star Wars Universe"

It's all just conjecture really, until a movie is green lit or an announcement is made by Disney. Will money or audience satisfaction be the big factor in any film they make though? If they intend to make as much money as possible, they will need to expand the viewer scope and that will probably result in a pg-13 AVP film or something that is similar to Aliens.

Honestly, it could be years before Disney even thinks about making an Alien or Predator film. God willing, Scott's lack of faith in the xenomorph and the sheer boring and convoluted weirdness of the prequels has not done long term damage and rendered the franchise undesirable to Disney. I mean, David is now making Blade Runner references and kissing on his twin. I'm really hoping Disney will do right by the franchise, and I honestly think they can. For all the flak movies like the Marvel films and such get, they're basically considered watchable movies in general. That's at least a step ahead of where we are now with the Alien prequels. Yes, we may one day be seeing a giant mech suit charge into a hive, but gracious, if it's either that or Fassbender playing the piano in his tights again, I know which one I'm pickin. Oh boy, I set myself up with that one.

"Dark Horse had the right idea. Not every story was a winner, but the idea was right. The Alien has become a fact of life in the universe, and humanity struggles to deal with its presence."

This. I've said it before. Give me a random group of people and a single alien or several, and I'm good. This universe can easily function as a sandbox style. I'd love to see Rogue, Nightmare Asylum, or Out of the Shadows given the film treatment.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2017, 01:39:55 PM

'Aliens' isn't a kiddie movie just because it doesn't have gore, or because you can edit the swearing out and air it on cable. :D

James Cameron shot Aliens to be a family friendly movie.  Remember, this was back in 1985 when the PG-13 rating had just been introduced. 

Aliens was also the only Alien movie to be shown on prime time television back in the early 90s.  I don't know about now as I no longer watch television.

Now The Terminator had gore, so his comments about gore only creating disgust don't make much sense.  He obviously thought it worked in The Terminator.

QuoteHave you seen the movie 'Lights Out'? It's a PG-13 movie, has next to no jump scares, and it's scary as shit. That movie came out last year.
Other recent winners that come to mind are 'Insidious', and 'Mama'.

No I haven't seen any of these

QuoteThe MPAA is wildly inconsistent in its ratings, and filmmakers with enough pull can argue for movies to get rated pretty much whatever they want. 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre', a movie with literally no blood, no profanity, no nudity or sexual content, and no people killed on-screen, got an R-rating because the MPAA thought it was "too intense" for a PG (and the PG-13 rating didn't exist yet). Meanwhile Jaws, a movie chock full of blood and body parts and people getting maimed by a shark, got a PG.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is about a family of cannibals who torture and eat people.  Not really fit content for children.

And Jaws did not have that much blood or gore.  But the rating system has evolved over time.

QuoteAgain, in today's market, you can get away with a lot with a PG-13 rating and it's entirely possible to make a genuinely scary horror movie without it being R. Here's a few fun lists for you to check out that are about that exact topic:

http://collider.com/pg-13-scary-horror-movies/#lights-out
https://www.ranker.com/list/best-pg-13-horror-film-movies/reference (this is a community driven list, and I strongly disagree with a lot of the rankings, but oh well)
https://screenrant.com/best-scariest-pg-13-horror-movies/

I never said you can't make a good PG-13 horror.  It's just with Alien and it's emphasis on body horror that it should be R.

Most of these PG-13 horrors are supernatural.

SM

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 26, 2017, 10:24:50 PM
For body-horror, maybe, depending on how it's handled, A lot of what makes horror work is what's not shown. PG-13 doesn't automatically mean jump scares, there are a bunch of quality PG-13 horror movies that are scary because of the sense of looming dread, tension, and as mentioned, what isn't shown.

Shit, aside from the rampant profanity and the colonist chestburster scene in 'Aliens', that movie is practically bloodless. A reworking of the dialogue would turn that movie into an easy PG-13 by today's standards. Even Bishop getting torn in half wouldn't trigger an R-rateing, as the MPAA only cares about actual genuine bona-fide red human blood when it comes to gore. You can show aliens or robots being blasted apart and dismembered to your heart's content, and it's not considered "gory".
All this undoubtedly carefully planned by James Cameron. Imagine if Hicks or Newt got ripped apart by the Alien queen, the movie wouldn't been anywhere close to as popular as it is now. The soccer moms in the audience would've raged and screamed, but by making the victim a robot that can take being ripped in two, he includes as much of the audience as possible while still doing a good job showcasing the queen's power.

Also, using Logan and Deadpool as indicators that R-rated movies can do well is a pretty bad representative sample given that both of those movies are capeshit diarrhea which nowadays audiences keep craving in higher and higher doses.

How many soccer moms do you think were watching Aliens?

Huggs

"Now The Terminator had gore"

It's really hard to believe we went from that to Arnold saying "talk to the hand" in T3. Talk about a franchise that went south after the first two movies.

Paranoid Android

Don't want to interrupt the truly interesting argument about the possibility of making good PG-13 horror films under Disney, but I do want to throw in a crazy theory:

What if...- and I know it sounds crazy, but what if...someone at Disney had actually heard about the Alien franchise? Maybe even, god forbid, seen a film or two? What if that guy mentioned how it's a violent and bloody franchise and therefore requires an R rating, before buying it?

What if the execs at Disney didn't just blindly throw billions of dollars at Fox for the giggles? Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, the people at Disney know what they bought?

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 26, 2017, 10:24:50 PM

It wouldn't have been as popular because that's a crap idea.

SM

There is also that.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Dec 26, 2017, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 26, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 08:37:20 PM
Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 26, 2017, 07:58:54 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 06:29:11 PM
maybe yeah, but theyve done that with Pixar and Marvel by getting someone who knows and cares about the history

Pick one.

Im talking about the movies, not the comics

Talking about the movies here, do you really think they are good or even decent movie and not egenric bullcrap for the masses??, well... to each his own I guess...

I love the Marvel movies and don't find them egenric at all.
Holy f**king shit, SM and I agree on something. :P

The Marvel movies are great and I hope they keep making them forever. Yeah they can be a little formulaic at times (Ant-Man is basically 'Iron Man 1' with a new coat of paint, ditto to a fair degree with 'Doctor Strange') but when the formula works and is entertaining, I don't really care. If the cake tastes great, keep spoon-feeding me that same cake over and over and over.
And sometimes they do go outside the mold (Captain America: Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3, Thor Ragnarok) and they've knocked it out of the park every time as far as I'm concerned, so whether they stick with "the formula" or they try something new, I'm not at all worried.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 26, 2017, 11:03:39 PM
Don't want to interrupt the truly interesting argument about the possibility of making good PG-13 horror films under Disney, but I do want to throw in a crazy theory:

What if...- and I know it sounds crazy, but what if...someone at Disney had actually heard about the Alien franchise? Maybe even, god forbid, seen a film or two? What if that guy mentioned how it's a violent and bloody franchise and therefore requires an R rating, before buying it?

What if the execs at Disney didn't just blindly throw billions of dollars at Fox for the giggles? Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, the people at Disney know what they bought?
Whoa whoa whoa, this is the INTERNET, we don't allow reasonable opinions here!

Gash

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 26, 2017, 10:33:46 PM
I'm really hoping Disney will do right by the franchise, and I honestly think they can. For all the flak movies like the Marvel films and such get, they're basically considered watchable movies in general. That's at least a step ahead of where we are now with the Alien prequels. Yes, we may one day be seeing a giant mech suit charge into a hive, but gracious, if it's either that or Fassbender playing the piano in his tights again, I know which one I'm picking.

Fassbender at the piano all the way.

Scorpio

Too many kids post here I think, they want Marvel superhero movies not Alien.  They want movies for kids, not adults.

SM

Quote from: Gash on Dec 26, 2017, 11:58:03 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 26, 2017, 10:33:46 PM
I'm really hoping Disney will do right by the franchise, and I honestly think they can. For all the flak movies like the Marvel films and such get, they're basically considered watchable movies in general. That's at least a step ahead of where we are now with the Alien prequels. Yes, we may one day be seeing a giant mech suit charge into a hive, but gracious, if it's either that or Fassbender playing the piano in his tights again, I know which one I'm picking.

Fassbender at the piano all the way.

More Wagner or perhaps some of Richard Clayderman's greatest hits?

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 26, 2017, 10:56:20 PM
It's really hard to believe we went from that to Arnold saying "talk to the hand" in T3. Talk about a franchise that went south after the first two movies.
I thought I saw someone mention in the politics forum you were banned. Welcome back.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed