The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 62,555 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Suppose I needed to glue something transparent.  What would you use?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Depends on what it's made of, what it's for and how good you want it to look, honestly.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's about fixing a backlight diffuser inside my TV and you're the only one I could think of who knows about glue.  I think they're made of glass.

Spoiler

Also, have you been reading Marvel's 40k comics?

Spoiler
[close]

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Ah so that's probably a cyanoacrylate (super glue) job. I'd advise using a thicker gel type so it doesn't run. This glue can cause a white misting on surfaces if you use too much, which could be an issue if you aren't super careful, but I'm guessing you will be if trying to operate on a TV. Just make sure that when you apply the glue, you're ready to place the parts immediately, it can start to cure in as little as ten seconds depending on heat/humidity, and will form an almost instant bond when pressure is applied. A few drops is usually plenty.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I did a little further digging and it turns out this is a relatively common problem, so the popular choice among the DIY fixers seems to be UV epoxy.  I went ahead and bought some of that and a UV flashlight on Amazon.

To make matters worse, my TV is mounted on an aftermarket stand with its own complicated set of screws and bolts so taking it all apart is going to be a real bitch.  Still, it's preferable to shelling out $1,800 for a new OLED right now.

At least I'll get a chance to make sure the other diffusion lenses are secure and maybe extend the life of my TV a little longer.  It's nothing fancy by today's standards (Samsung UN50J6300), but it's good enough for my needs.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 19, 2020, 07:32:51 AM
I did a little further digging and it turns out this is a relatively common problem, so the popular choice among the DIY fixers seems to be UV epoxy.  I went ahead and bought some of that and a UV flashlight on Amazon.

To make matters worse, my TV is mounted on an aftermarket stand with its own complicated set of screws and bolts so taking it all apart is going to be a real bitch.  Still, it's preferable to shelling out $1,800 for a new OLED right now.

At least I'll get a chance to make sure the other diffusion lenses are secure and maybe extend the life of my TV a little longer.  It's nothing fancy by today's standards (Samsung UN50J6300), but it's good enough for my needs.

Yeah those little UV torches are great, and most epoxy is generally an insanely strong bond.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Could you use it with your minis?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

For large-scale resin and vinyl models it's the method of choice from what I hear, but I mostly f**k with smaller stuff where a dab of cyanoacrylate or polystyrene cement is all it takes. 

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Late 90's style Dark Eldar scheme. I can hear the Linkin Park and smell the Lynx Bodyspray from here.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

GUO from around 2010

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Have you ever tried 3D printing those models?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Phobos on Nov 30, 2020, 07:58:17 PM
Have you ever tried 3D printing those models?

Printers are finally getting good enough to get excellent results at this scale.

But I can't afford one.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Would you just print the parts and assemble them or could you print an entire mini in one piece?

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

The cheapest printers I've seen go for a few hundred bucks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed