AvPGalaxy's Favourite Movie

Started by Its Game Time, Apr 11, 2007, 12:57:17 AM

Whats your fave movie out of the whole franchise?

Predator
164 (19.3%)
Predator 2
45 (5.3%)
AvP: Alien vs. Predator
29 (3.4%)
AvPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
25 (2.9%)
Alien
203 (23.9%)
Aliens
304 (35.8%)
Alien³
51 (6%)
Alien Resurrection
8 (0.9%)
Predators
12 (1.4%)
Prometheus
2 (0.2%)
Alien: Covenant
4 (0.5%)
The Predator
1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 792

Author
AvPGalaxy's Favourite Movie (Read 181,430 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 01, 2020, 08:10:28 AM
Alien, Aliens, Alien³ and
Predator, Predators, Predator³ -imagine it, especially because for the first film, the classic, each goes from one flavour of film into a slasher, intelligent undertones, one "company man" within the group, 1 individual E.T.

For the second film, larger, louder more action orientated and arguably dumber but expanded the premise near perfectly. The over confidence of the company and the company man who says he's good, but he's bad being their ultimate undoing, going in without the proper firearms, just fire in one case, just cold in another. Repeating parts of the original with a new coat of paint, Jerry/Hudson, a group of Aliens/Predators and the leaders of the Aliens/Predators is revealed, including a showdown on their own turf at the end.

The third film, again aping the original film- more so this time with a considerably darker tone, lots of great character actors, begins with the main characters falling, two/three dying in the crash. The cast is a group of people generally considered undesirable including murderers and rapists, one of the best actors perishes early on Charles Dance/Mahershala Ali. The crazy guy makes things go from benefiting the characters by informing them about the creatures, despite having a warped perspective, but then makes the situation disasterous just when the characters got a break and a heroic sacrifice is utilised, the film ends with the main character refusing the chance to go back to Earth, instead ensuring the malevolent creature is eliminated.

Wow, it's been staring me in the face all this time. What an astute analysis FI.  Bravo, well done!  :)

Kradan

Kradan

Indeed

Trioxin

Trioxin

Very astute observations. One thing about predators that bugs me is that Dutch and  Harrigan were supposed to come down on a predator ship remove a predator mask and tell the protagonist something along the lines of they have alot to learn. But Arnie didn't want to do such a small part. R.i.p the best ending ever lol

The Old One

The Old One

I'm glad we didn't get that ending personally.

Trioxin

Trioxin

I was super unhappy after learning that.  The ending in the movie is basically to me is implying they are just going to die. They are injured and weary and used every resource at their disposal to kill the first wave of predators l, only to have the second wave come in fresh 100% ready to hunt. I would have preferred the slight cheeze for Harrington and Dutch to come back.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd anyone knows me, they know I'm totally fine with a dark ending, as long as it felt appropriate.

Huggs

Huggs

Dutch and Harrigan showing up in a spaceship at the end?

It's ham, and ham is to be eaten, not filmed.

Samhain13

Samhain13

If I recall in that ending it was only Dutch.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Both Dutch and Harrigan were considered for the Noland role. Now that might have been interesting.

Huggs

Huggs

"Get to da spaceship!"

The Old One

The Old One

If the character though, got treated exactly like Noland, I think a new character is a far safer option thus it is.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 02, 2020, 02:40:18 AM
If the character though, got treated exactly like Noland, I think a new character is a far safer option thus it is.

I concur. One would hope that role would have been expanded and been handled differently if Arnold or Danny had participated.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Myself & 2 friends recently watched through all 12 films in the franchise. When done, we decided to rank 'em. In lieu of starting a new thread or replying to threads that are 10 yrs old based on "search" I'll just dropped the lists here. Seems appropriate enough.

Mine
1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Predator
4. Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)
5. Prometheus
6. Predator 2
7. Alien vs. Predator
8. Alien Covenant
9. Predators
10. Alien Resurrection
11. The Predator
12. AVPR

Friend A
1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Predator
4. Prometheus
5. Alien Covenant
6. Predator 2
7. Alien 3
8. Alien Resurrection
9. Alien vs. Predator
10. Predators
11. AVPR
12. The Predator

Friend B
1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Predator
4. Prometheus
5. Alien vs. Predator
6. Predator 2
7. Alien Covenant
8. Alien 3
9. Predators
10. Alien Resurrection
11. The Predator
12. AVPR

All 3 of us had the same top 3 but conceded they're essentially equal. I would give any of them the top score of whatever particular rating system was being used. I do think there's more depth to both of the first Alien films, compared to Predator, but Predator does what it does so purely & perfectly. If not for the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 I'd likely have Prometheus slotted 4th & we'd all have that in common. They don't think as highly of Alien 3 as I do, it appears. We also all agreed on The Predator & AVPR being the worst of the lot, but my one friend was insistent that absurdity of Requiem amuses them compared to The Predator, why they claimed is the largest disappoint of the series. The middle is a jumble, but that's to be expected. Good discussion ensued.

chopperXgill

chopperXgill

So much more love for the AVP films then the alien prequels. Definitely wasn't expecting that

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: chopperXgill on Jul 20, 2020, 03:28:03 AM
So much more love for the AVP films then the alien prequels. Definitely wasn't expecting that

We all have Prometheus ahead of either AVP & Requiem worse than either prequel. A lot of our discussion centered on Covenant, actually. My personal thoughts are that it tries to be both a sequel to Prometheus & a more straightforward Alien film but succeeds at neither. It's not bad, is certainly well made, and features a couple really strong sequences, but I dislike nixing Shaw offscreen, given she was the emotional center of Prometheus, & several plot points directly contradict the original Alien. A fear I had when an Alien prequel was first announced was that I didn't want a film that explicitly setup Alien, i.e. ending with the derelict ship crashing, but now I kind of need the connect the dots to make it work. I know Ridley has alleged he has plans for a 3rd film but I think he's more interested in following David's journey than he is adhering to existing canon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed