Aliens RPG Cancelled?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2009, 06:11:36 PM

Author
Aliens RPG Cancelled? (Read 18,502 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Following in the wake of the announcement of a new AvP game from Rebellion under Sega, we have this to report:

“Sources tell Kotaku that Sega has pulled the plug on their upcoming Aliens Roleplaying Game under development by California-based developer Obsidian.”

Gaming website Kotaku is citing a recent sacking of 20 people at Obsidian as one of the reasons behind this. And there is, of course, the recent news that Colonial Marines and this RPG have had their release pushed back until early 2011 at the least. I’m currently waiting for comment on the news from Sega. Thanks to Xenomrph for the news.

You can keep track of all the developments on this thread in our forums.

EDIT: Joystiq is also reporting that Sega has withdrawn funds from Colonial Marines too: “As for Gearbox, Sega supposedly stopped paying the developer for “a while” to produce Colonial Marines and it has since ceased production on the title.”

EDIT 2: Gamespot is now stating that the RPG has been “indefinitely suspended” and comes with a quote from Sega: “We will have more news to share about our Aliens franchise games in the near future,” said the rep. “Sega does not comment on rumors or speculation about its products… Please stay tuned for future correspondence regarding our products.”

Griffith

Griffith

WTF?!..no seriously WTF..first A:CM about being cancelled (thank god it didn't happened) now this?...C'MON! this better have to be a rumor

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Personally, I think Kotaku isn't to be trusted. I bet someone is just yanking their chain.

aliens rpg= epic fail

aliens rpg= epic fail

>:D     ;D     :D   haaha yes im glad they pulled the plug it was gunna b a stupid fail anyways. i mean "come on" not "cmon" lets b serious it wouldve been stpid.

n3m0

n3m0

this calms me a bit (just a bit)  Update: Sega just replied saying they "do not respond to speculation or rumor questions."

bobcunk

bobcunk

i dont mind that much, iv never liked rpgs. but they better release colonial marine and a new avp game soon.

Hicks_0998

Hicks_0998

You f**king bastards Sega and Obsidian, get all our hopes up for a decent Aliens game and you crush us, just pray we still think of you as a developer coz now youve really shot yourself in the foot bigtime.

Splinter Cell

Splinter Cell

>:(     >:(  

CanadianHero67

CanadianHero67

2011?! WTF?!?!  I can wait for A:CM in 2009 or 2010 but 2011?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

It shouldn't take 4 to 5 years to make freaking game. They better have excuses if it sucks!   >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(  

PRED117

PRED117

WTF they held back aliens RPG WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYY!   >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(  

PRED117

PRED117

Someone just said or posted a comment that their glad they pulled the freakin plug YOU SON OF A B****   >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(  !

tpain

tpain

EVERYBODY DONT WANT THE FREAKIN GAME  CANCELLED DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT SEGA   >:D  !

Rexus

Rexus

I never liked the idea of the ALIENS RPG, I can't see it happening...I hate Turn-Based fighting.

ajm

ajm

Blimey charlie.  First up, we don't know for sure what's going on either way.  Secondly, it costs huge amounts of money to make AAA games these days.  Sega already funded what, 2 years of this?  If that 2 years hasn't provided a decent turnaround, then sure they're going to stop pumping cash into it.  Games, like everything else, is a business.  It has to make money to survive.  And you don't make money by continually pumping cash into somethinig.  Take Killzone2 - it's done now but god only knows how much that cost.  And that's to make it, let alone to market it.  Sony can provide that cash because they see it as a system seller.  Sega, like most publishers, aren't in that field, so if a game simply isn't going to make back what it's going to cost to develop it then it's got to go.  It sucks 'cause in this case it's a game we want to play.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed