Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,722 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

What's this? Another author touching base with us here at AvPGalaxy? Sure is. Here's your chance to pitch you're questions to the legendary Steve Perry. Yautja fans, get the lowdown on why something was done the way it was. Wanna know how to go about adapting a comic, ask here.

Just remember, be civil and respectful.

Deathwing.

Deathwing.

I'm glad you could take some time to answer some questions. First off congratulations for your work with the novelizations.

My question is: How arose the idea of create a language for the Predators in your novel "Alien versus Predator: Prey", of whom was the idea? and in which language was based?

Beforehand Thanks for answer this question.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Rhadamanthys on May 06, 2007, 10:12:24 PM
I'm glad you could take some time to answer some questions. First off congratulations for your work with the novelizations.

My question is: How arose the idea of create a language for the Predators in your novel "Alien versus Predator: Prey", of whom was the idea? and in which language was based?

Well, my daughter and I wanted a language that had a crisp and somewhat gutteral, harsh sound to it, more like German than say, Italian, so the terms we made up for the Predators were based on how they sounded when spoken aloud. No specific language, but a kind of tone, not necessarily limited to any one.

(If you look at some of the short curse words, you can see that they have a kind of anglo-saxon ring to them ...)

I think we both devised these, more her than me, but it's been thirteen or fourteen years since we wrote the novel, so I couldn't tell you who came up with what, exactly.

The yautja were obviously a martial culture, and we wanted their speech and thought to reflect this.

Steve

SiL

SiL

Question many have pondered - Just how the heck do you pronounce yautja anyway?

Deathwing.

Deathwing.

Quote from: steveperry on May 06, 2007, 10:44:30 PM
Quote from: Rhadamanthys on May 06, 2007, 10:12:24 PM

Well, my daughter and I wanted a language that had a crisp and somewhat gutteral, harsh sound to it, more like German than say, Italian, so the terms we made up for the Predators were based on how they sounded when spoken aloud. No specific language, but a kind of tone, not necessarily limited to any one.

(If you look at some of the short curse words, you can see that they have a kind of anglo-saxon ring to them ...)

I think we both devised these, more her than me, but it's been thirteen or fourteen years since we wrote the novel, so I couldn't tell you who came up with what, exactly.

The yautja were obviously a martial culture, and we wanted their speech and thought to reflect this.

Steve

Thank you very much Mr. Perry. I have another doubt that i hope you can respond.

Question: It has contemplated in the future, for the films or novels, create the complete language for the Predators?. I would like to be able to use the language in the daily life, more in the forums of the thematic one.

Again Mr. Perry thanks for take the time to answered this questions.

N'dhi-ja Mei-hswei  :)  ;) <----- Yautja Lenguaje  :D

SiL

SiL

Star Trek has too much to answer for. ::)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Hey there Mr. Perry, big fan of your work here and I must say that you are what has driven me to write fanfiction inspired by your AvP books. Ummm.... my question:

We know that the Jehdin fighting style which was used by the Yautja in your AvP Books, was your martial arts experience in Silat a major inspiration?

-Rakai'Thwei

Dachande

Dachande

I think SiL's answer needs answering first, i always pronounced it Yourt-jah, i think, spelling how you think something sounds is weird 0__o

Darkness

Darkness

Hmm, I pronounce as Yaut-Ya or even Yat-Ya.

Dachande

Dachande

SEE! This is exactly why we need it answered!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I always pronounced it Yaut Ah.  Like the j was silent.

I have no idea why. 

Yaut jaaaaaa! sounds like something arnie would say.

Dachande

Dachande

GET TO DA YAUTJAAAA!!

I dunno why, but i've always pronounced the J =/

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

There really is no reason for me to assume the j is silent, so your probably right in your hypothesis.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: SiL on May 06, 2007, 10:53:22 PM
Question many have pondered - Just how the heck do you pronounce yautja anyway?

"Ya-oot-chah," with the accent on the second syllable, and that "ch" almost a "j" sound.

steveperry

steveperry

[/quote]

Thank you very much Mr. Perry. I have another doubt that i hope you can respond.

Question: It has contemplated in the future, for the films or novels, create the complete language for the Predators?. I would like to be able to use the language in the daily life, more in the forums of the thematic one.

Again Mr. Perry thanks for take the time to answered this questions.

N'dhi-ja Mei-hswei  :)  ;) <----- Yautja Lenguaje  :D

Not a task I'd want to tackle. We did enough to give readers a flavor, but like Klingon, it would take a lot of work to build a working vocabulary. Plus the pronounciation if you aren't a native speaker would be hard.

[/quote]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed