What possible thing justifies a retcon?

Started by CainsSon, Feb 26, 2015, 07:35:29 AM

Author
What possible thing justifies a retcon? (Read 12,262 times)

CainsSon

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 26, 2015, 11:56:14 PM
Quote from: aliennaire on Feb 26, 2015, 11:53:01 PM
insists he is all for giving the Ripley''s story a proper ending.

She won in Alien 3 and Ripley 8 also won in A:R.

What other ending do you want?

Personally, I've actually never been satisfied with those endings because they don't effectively stop the human race from contacting the creatures again. See Prometheus.
Which is why Im starting to think his story idea may tie into the events in the PROMETHEUS films more so than we have considered. Maybe the retcon possibility isn't even Blomkamp's doing. Maybe it has something to do with other stuff? I dunno.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: aliennaire on Feb 27, 2015, 12:02:35 AM
She was going through the motions most part of the time in 3rd and 4th films and somehow managed to win (quite questionable victory in A^3 though), whereas in 1st and 2nd film she always stroke me as a strong personality. I would love to see that in her again :-)

Questionable victory in Alien 3? She killed the alien and stopped the company. Done.
A:R is about clones not the real deal, hence fleshy aliens with queen legs and a queen with a womb.

Ripley's personality is at her strongest in Alien 3. She has to deal with everything on her own right from the opening scene. The one person she connects to after she finds herself there is Clemens, who is killed as a reminder of the path she is on. She kicks a lot of butt in Alien 3 and held her own even when faced with a possible escape (aka Bishop's menacing promise of removing the embryo and helping her achieve a life she ought to of had).

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 27, 2015, 12:04:27 AM
Personally, I've actually never been satisfied with those endings because they don't effectively stop the human race from contacting the creatures again. See Prometheus.

Prometheus is set long before Alien 3. Not after.

But you're right in saying Ripley could potentially be destroying only a fraction of the aliens that might be out there. But her intentions are all the same.

MCP

MCP

Each movie follows a logical progression with Ripley's character arc.  Alien - Alien Resurrection.  Ripley gets closer to the alien.  In part 4 she literally becomes the alien.

This reboot will destroy all that for cheap rehash of Aliens.

Nightmare Asylum

Assuming it rehashes Aliens, that is.

Bringing back characters =/= rehashing if it goes in a new direction with them.

aliennaire

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:07:07 AM
Questionable victory in Alien 3?
She died.

Ripley's personality is at her strongest in Alien 3. She has to deal with everything on her own right from the opening scene...
The smarmy doctor was around here from the moment she came to. But it is not the point. The point is you and me just see it differently. If you don't mind may I stick to my opinion (as I did it since 1992), Okay? :)

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: aliennaire on Feb 27, 2015, 12:49:13 AM
She died.

...and saved the human race from the horrors of the alien. What do you think she would have gone back to if she had stopped the company killed the alien and lived? I'll give you a clue...

Plus she was that messed up after seeing a group of people she didn't get on with very well die. Now apply that to everyone in Aliens and Alien 3.

The smarmy doctor was around here from the moment she came to.

Could be put down to the fact he hadn't seen a woman for years. Not to mention he's the only doctor on the planet.

But it is not the point. The point is you and me just see it differently. If you don't mind may I stick to my opinion (as I did it since 1992), Okay? :)

Of course!

Magegg

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 01:01:24 AM
She died.

...and saved the human race from the horrors of the alien. What do you think she would have gone back to if she had stopped the company killed the alien and lived?
It's stupid to think the xenos were completely wiped out from universe. Ripley's sacrifice meant nothing, more likely. There are other xenos out there.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 27, 2015, 02:06:18 AM
She died.

...and saved the human race from the horrors of the alien. What do you think she would have gone back to if she had stopped the company killed the alien and lived?
It's stupid to think the xenos were completely wiped out from universe. Ripley's sacrifice meant nothing, more likely. There are other xenos out there.

But getting your hands on them is another matter.  Ripley's victory denied WY the opportunity to easily catch one and, as far as we know, that failure might have helped to lead to the Company's bankruptcy.

Magegg

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 27, 2015, 02:09:29 AM
She died.

But getting your hands on them is another matter.  Ripley's victory denied WY the opportunity to easily catch one and, as far as we know, that failure might have helped to lead to the Company's bankruptcy.
I don't think so, she comitted suicide out of depression because of the death of her friends, that level of shittyness for life is basically what the movie could handle.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 27, 2015, 02:17:48 AM
She died.

I don't think so, she comitted suicide out of depression because of the death of her friends, that level of shittyness for life is basically what the movie could handle.

Or both combined?

Born Of Cold Light

She died.

Where did you get that from the movie?  She clearly only became suicidal once she knew that she had an alien inside her, and it was very clear that she was doing it to stop the Company from getting its hands on it.

Magegg

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 27, 2015, 02:22:52 AMWhere did you get that from the movie?  She clearly only became suicidal once she knew that she had an alien inside her, and it was very clear that she was doing it to stop the Company from getting its hands on it.
Which is stupid because it's obvious there are many more xenos out there in the universe. If Hicks and Newt would have been alive by that moment, she would have something to live for. Basically everything of the movie was pointless on their purpose on putting her to the edge of suicide.

By the way, pretty much most of the audience reaction :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPtcXcHnAYQ#ws

And pretty much my opinion.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 27, 2015, 02:28:12 AM
Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 27, 2015, 02:22:52 AMWhere did you get that from the movie?  She clearly only became suicidal once she knew that she had an alien inside her, and it was very clear that she was doing it to stop the Company from getting its hands on it.
Which is stupid because it's obvious there are many more xenos out there in the universe. If Hicks and Newt would have been alive by that moment, she would have something to live for.

For a few hours, before the alien queen ripped through her chest and killed her.  As far as I know, aliens can't be killed by the power of love.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 27, 2015, 02:22:52 AM
She died.

Where did you get that from the movie?  She clearly only became suicidal once she knew that she had an alien inside her, and it was very clear that she was doing it to stop the Company from getting its hands on it.

Hey, A3 isn't the ALIENS 2 he wanted, and therefore everything about A3 is bad and not to his Colonial Marines standards...

Magegg

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 27, 2015, 02:32:11 AMFor a few hours, before the alien queen ripped through her chest and killed her.  As far as I know, aliens can't be killed by the power of love.
The WY could have taken good care of her. After all, Medi machines from a couple centuries back in time could save Shaw from her chest bursting, and technology is even better by those years.

In fact, she made a disservice to Humanity, provided the WY had caught a xenomorph specimen, they could have found better ways to deal with that evil species, there are more than surely many more xenos out there in space and they should have started studying in order to be prepared for further infestations.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed