Aliens Colonial Marines Full E3 Demo Footage

Started by ikarop, Sep 30, 2011, 05:00:30 PM

Author
Aliens Colonial Marines Full E3 Demo Footage (Read 67,230 times)

NUB DESTROYER

Quote from: PLEXI on Oct 05, 2011, 05:32:23 AM
Do I find it a pointless waste of time, that could be spent more constructively talking about the game? Yes.

Then we should expect this to be the last you speak of this matter.
Spoiler

Here's what I said regarding it. These all read like opinions/observations... In my own opinion of course.
QuoteI highly disagree with that opinion..  PsyKore's point still stands about the campaign being linear.  It's worked for CoD because the main meat of the game is the multiplayer..  But it can seriously hurt replay ability, especially when a good portion of the focus for A:CM is a story driven singleplayer experience.

It's already been said that this E3 footage was put together as a showcase (more or less).  The question is just how much different it will be from the final product.
QuoteWhen did I say that?  All I did was make a comparison between the development priorities judging on each of the game's goals.  Completely misinterpreting the meaning of my post.
[close]

^^ Nope, I didn't misinterpret what you said. I took what you said for its face value.

PM me if you really feel the need to continue this.

Not gonna PM you. Just saying.

PLEXI

QuoteThen I should expect this to be the last you speak of this matter.
That depends completely on further responses from you. That's the ideal though, and I'd hope the same from you.

Continuing on about the Xenos animations, anyone else think there should be a higher probability of death thrash animations?  I noticed very few during the footage, and as nice as the rag doll physics are(They felt properly weighted from the looks of it, much better then the floating corpses from AVP2010)... I'm missing the death throes from AVP2. Made it feel a bit more realistic when gunning them down.

NUB DESTROYER

QuoteThat depends completely on further responses from you. That's the ideal though, and I'd hope the same from you.

Then we're clear that I didn't misinterpret what you said in your first few posts and so I was within reason to call you out.

Private W Hudson

Yeah... on another note i'm enjoying the footage so far i do dislike the pulse rifle sound and that but it's place holder i guess. Good job tho guys keep it up, thanks for the awesome game finally.

PLEXI

Spoiler

@NUB DESTROYER
Except for the fact that you did misinterpret my posts.  Plain and simple.

Do I have to go in baby steps and  parse each one of my statements for you to understand?
QuoteWas that the response you had in mind?
No, but about what I was expecting that's for sure.

We're incredibly off topic and I hoped that we could either move on or move this over to PMs.. rather then continuing to take up board space. At the moment you are contributing nothing to the solution, only to the problem.
[close]

QuoteYeah... on another note i'm enjoying the footage so far i do dislike the pulse rifle sound and that but it's place holder i guess. .
I'm in agreement with this.. Not sure if it's a place holder or not though, but I'm hoping so.  Since the NPC's M41A's sound close to identical to the movie counterparts.  I'm a bit more worried about the fifty rounds per magazine at the moment.

Private W Hudson

QuoteYeah... on another note i'm enjoying the footage so far i do dislike the pulse rifle sound and that but it's place holder i guess. .
QuoteI'm in agreement with this.. Not sure if it's a place holder or not though, but I'm hoping so.  Since the NPC's M41A's sound close to identical to the movie counterparts.  I'm a bit more worried about the fifty rounds per magazine at the moment.

Amen to that, i want mah 99 rounds pl0x!! Yeah but totally agree with the magazine cap then the sound. Let's hope the smartgun isnt broken. :P

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quoteevery person i've discussed this with said that it's just plain stupid that the colony still exists.
But that's anecdotal evidence. Every person *I* have discussed it with has just sort of taken it in stride. Most have said "wasn't it destroyed?", and I say "the blast evidently wasn't as destructive as we thought", and they say "Oh okay. Well, shooting it out with Aliens is going to be cool" and that's pretty much that.

Quoteabout the gameplay, i don't doubt they can make a memorable experience, but once you beat it, then it IS going to be the same the next time. if enemy placement and NPC placement are static, then things are going to happen the same way, the AI will make the same decisions based on the same situations and the only thing that really changes is where one is at that point.
The thing is, that's how every modern FPS is made. AvPClassic having randomized enemy spawns was a notable exception, but it's just that: an exception.
As for the enemies being the same every time, that often isn't the case. Enemy spawns in AvP2010 are static, but enemies still do different things each time. Likewise in Dead Space, or Call of Duty, or even much, much older games with static spawns like AvP2 or Max Payne.

Hell, freaking Wolfenstein3D had static spawns, but what the enemies did each time would often differ and their AI coding was incredibly simplistic ("home in on player, shoot at player"). I can't think of a single game with static spawns where the game played out exactly the same every single time, the way you're implying it would with Colonial Marines.

NUB DESTROYER

QuoteDo I have to go in baby steps and  parse each one of my statements for you to understand?
I understood what you said perfectly the first time around. But we can go over it one more time one line at a time if you wish.

We're incredibly off topic and I hoped that we could either move on or move this over to PMs.. rather then continuing to take up board space.

If you really thought that, you would have PM'd me or not have said anything at all. Because as I said a few posts prior, I'm not gonna PM you.

QuoteAt the moment you are contributing nothing to the solution, only to the problem.

Funny that I can apply the same thing to you.

PLEXI

Spoiler
@NUB DESTROYER
Then you are either lacking at reading comprehension, or are refusing to acknowledge that you contorted what I said.  Take your pick.

Spoiler
Spoilerception-
To humor you.
QuoteIt's worked for CoD because the main meat of the game is the multiplayer.
(In regards to the previous users post about how linear the campaign for Black Ops is.) CoD has been primarily successful because of its multiplayer, many players even choose to skip the singleplayer portion of the game entirely. This is a fact.
QuoteBut it can seriously hurt replay ability
The more linear a experience is, the less replay value it has. This is also true. It has been of every game ever developed. This is why games like Deus Ex are reinstalled every time you even mention it. 
Quoteespecially when a good portion of the focus for A:CM is a story driven singleplayer experience.
Not once have I discredited A:CM's multiplayer. Never even mentioned it. Nor made any direct comparisons about the multiplayer to CoD. 
In fact... my post was purely on the singleplayer campaign for A:CM.

I never said that a linear experience was strictly a bad thing, but if we're intended to play through ourselves, as well as co-op.... how many times will a player be able to go through the campaign before getting bored of it? This cannot be answered with the information present, but it is a valid concern I and many others have. Feedback is important.

As well I never made a blanket statement about A:CM's replay value.  I only stated a point that the more linear an experience is, the less replay value it has. 

I then went on to try and further clear up your misunderstanding of my posts. As I said, I cannot be held at fault for how you interpret what I've said..  I attempted to correct your misunderstanding, and yet you persisted.   Sorry for the text block, lack of sleep.  Don't feel like revising anything.
[close]
QuoteIf you really thought that, you would have PM'd me or not have said anything at all. Because as I said a few posts prior, I'm not gonna PM you.
Exactly. Now why would I waste my time when you're not going to even respond?  This is why I didn't PM you, it'd be pointless.

As I've said already; my dropping of this depends completely on you. I'm making an attempt. Not going to be very effective though with instigating.
[close]
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 05, 2011, 07:09:08 AM
- "the blast evidently wasn't as destructive as we thought", and they say "Oh okay. Well, shooting it out with Aliens is going to be cool" and that's pretty much that.
This is usually the case from my experience I've had talking about the game to others.  I can see why everyone is making such a huge deal out of it, but the Alien movies themselves do this sort of thing all the time, and as far as the game is concerned it could have been far worse.
QuoteI can't think of a single game with static spawns where the game played out exactly the same every single time, the way you're implying it would with Colonial Marines.
Almost impossible I think lol..   I think scripted events not affected by the player's choices lend more to the feeling of on-rails,  I think it depends on how well they're executed.  NPC spawning shouldn't be a problem once the ai is finished, as it looks incomplete as of the E3 showcase.

NUB DESTROYER

Quote from: PLEXI on Oct 05, 2011, 03:03:56 PMThen you are either lacking at reading comprehension, or are refusing to acknowledge that you contorted what I said.  Take your pick.

I understood what you said perfectly the first time. You offered to parse each one of your statements for me in order to prove that in fact I didn't understand you. But you can't even make good on your own offer yet you quickly resort to boring character assasination tactics.

QuoteExactly. Now why would I waste my time when you're not going to even respond?  This is why I didn't PM you, it'd be pointless.

No problem, then I'll change my position. My stance is now that I will not PM you first.

Quotemy dropping of this depends completely on you.

If you drop it or not makes no difference to me.

PLEXI

QuoteNo problem, then I'll change my position. My stance is now that I will not PM you first.
Done. Now I suggest getting back on topic.

On a unrelated note;  while I doubt it, I wonder if we'll be able to remove the dot crosshair from the HUD. 

The Xenoborg

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa.

Whoa.

Anyway, I'm okay with the dumb and weak Aliens. I just want them to be very dangerous, when up-close. During a swarm-attack, even vents and windows should be dangerous to be near to.
If you fire at an Alien, it's good as dead, but it should make an effort to take you down with it, or escape.
If the swarm cannot penetrate through the marine barriers, they should retreat and attack again in untimely fashion, through new ways or something.

Though Aliens can be dumb, some can outwit marines. If marines intend to make their way to some room or something some Aliens can just sneak into that room before the marines.

This is what I saw in Aliens, and I want in its sequel.

Nero the Jackal

Alien colonial Marines looks very good, Its visuals and graphics etc look good, However, I do find a few things troubling, 1, how is the complex still standing? The nuclear blast would have definitely destroy it. (as far as i remember from aliens, the blast was quite big and that was seen from near orbit) 2,The Alien warriors are are all seen walking on all fours, Its well known that the xenomorph take traits from its host and so a human-spawned would be bipedal and a dog-spawned one would be quadrupedal, So why are they taking a quadrupedal stance? This life-cycle rule got messed up in Alien resurrection and AVP. 3, The praetorian-like alien is a bad thing, When creators take liberties with the life cycle, Its usually a bad thing, Everyone hated the newborn, Everyone hated the 10 minute life cycles and everyone most certainly hated the predalien, The idea of a predalien is ok, as alien take traits from its host but the predalien being given a new reproduction method was a bad move among other things. The big alien has to have a good reason for existing, such as being spawned from a creature other than human that was present before, however, this is a game and so they do have the right to add different things but to me, I would prefer it to stay loyal to films and have only the four (five including dog alien aka runner) known alien types, Facehugger, Chestburster, Warrior, Queen.

Xenomrph

QuoteThe Alien warriors are are all seen walking on all fours, Its well known that the xenomorph take traits from its host and so a human-spawned would be bipedal and a dog-spawned one would be quadrupedal, So why are they taking a quadrupedal stance?
The ones in "aliens' were on all-fours at times, too. In fact, they did it in both AvP movies, too.

QuoteI would prefer it to stay loyal to films and have only the four (five including dog alien aka runner) known alien types, Facehugger, Chestburster, Warrior, Queen.
The thing is that even the movies have "messed with the life cycle". 'Aliens' fabricated the Queen concept, and 'Alien3' made the "take traits from the host" thing more overt (although it was intended as far back as 'Alien', Ridley Scott mentioned it in interviews and whatnot).
Adding or changing things isn't inherently a bad thing, it keeps the property from getting stale. What matters is the execution, and frankly we don't have enough info to just condemn the Crusher concept sight unseen.

SM

QuoteThe Alien warriors are are all seen walking on all fours, Its well known that the xenomorph take traits from its host and so a human-spawned would be bipedal and a dog-spawned one would be quadrupedal, So why are they taking a quadrupedal stance? This life-cycle rule got messed up in Alien resurrection and AVP

Aliens are clearly shown on all fours AND standing bipedally in Aliens, Alien3 and Resurrection.  And probably the AvPs.  They can do both.

As for the Crusher - it's a video game.  They're in there for variety and to provide different challenges - nothing more.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed