The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 70,240 times)

Tetsujin

von

von

Danversity

Danversity

Quote from: predator88 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:43:26 AM
Quote from: Danversity on Sep 07, 2018, 08:15:21 AM
Quote from: predator88 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:04:08 AM
Quote from: von on Sep 07, 2018, 07:51:59 AM
Quote from: Danversity on Sep 07, 2018, 07:47:30 AM
Quote from: von on Sep 07, 2018, 07:43:18 AM
the same stupid site that first leaked plot details has given a very negative review. bastards ::)

contains spoilers obviously

http://splashreport.com/tiff-film-review-predator/

Breaking embargo too, eh? Just couldn't wait to shit on it. Gives them lots of credibility.  ;)

exactly. zero credibility. adored by the Predator fanbase  ::)

Or maybe the film is not good at all? I'm a predator fanatic but from what I'm hearing so far Black has made a predator parody and not a true sequel.

What you're hearing is mixed-to-positive reception, my friend. Which is the very same reception that every single Predator film, including the first one, had. Except for maybe 2, that was mixed-to-negative. So far, most people DO like the movie. And yes, every single one of them converge that it has tons of humor, and obviously that's gonna be a major polarizer here because if film is subjective, humor is even MORE subjective. For some people it will work 100%, for others it will work less, for people who didn't want humor at all it's probably not gonna work - unless they keep an open mind. Everybody knew what this was going to be from the start. Shane had said it, countless and countless times. For me, personally, that's what I want, because it's a Shane Black movie, so it better own it. I have 3 other perfectly good movies that I enjoy in this franchise if I want something with less humor - this I want to be hysterical. But hey, that's me. Maybe that's not you, and that's fine. But then again, it's not a problem with the film, it's a problem with what you want from it. You knew what it was going to be. They prepared you for it. So no, I don't believe for a second that the film is "not good at all".
I get what you're saying but the predator franchise has always had an overall serious tone, minus some jokes here and there. Most importantly the creatures in the first two movies were scary, hope they didn't forget that instead of  trying to get them  to be just mindless killing machines. And if the tone here boarders on parody it will not sit well with the first two movies especially when there will be a connection for sure as reports have claimed. Can't imagine a predator parody to reference the original and for us to believe that they are set in the same universe.

Not entirely true. First of all, you're the one employing the word "parody" here. You don't actually know if that's how you will feel about it just yet.
And movies can very well have different tones throughout a franchise. Take a look at some Marvel films, the Thor ones for example. First one has plenty of humor, but the tone is that of a fantasy film that has its chunks of humor. Now we get to Thor: Ragnarok, that's a comedy. It's admittedly a comedy. Now I don't know if you like Marvel films or not, that's a different discussion, but the general consensus out there - which I happen to agree with - is that Ragnarok, the one who goes all out with the comedic tone, is by far the best out of those films. Meaning for nearly everyone that tone shift worked.

I'm not saying The Predator will be an all-out comedy in the veins of that film, not at all, I don't know that and neither do you. I've only seen the Fugitive vs Upgrade scene of The Predator, and this I know for a fact: in that brief clip that I saw, there wasn't a single joke. What I get from this reception is simply that The Predator is a genre entertainment film that dares to admit it is a genre entertainment film. But, again, I don't know this just yet. Gonna have to wait and see.

Brzrkr

Brzrkr

Digital Spy - 3/5 Stars

''A fun, flawed return to the Predatorverse.''

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/predator/review/a865504/the-predator-review-shane-black/

Tetsujin

predator88

predator88

Quote from: Danversity on Sep 07, 2018, 09:03:48 AM
Quote from: predator88 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:43:26 AM
Quote from: Danversity on Sep 07, 2018, 08:15:21 AM
Quote from: predator88 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:04:08 AM
Quote from: von on Sep 07, 2018, 07:51:59 AM
Quote from: Danversity on Sep 07, 2018, 07:47:30 AM
Quote from: von on Sep 07, 2018, 07:43:18 AM
the same stupid site that first leaked plot details has given a very negative review. bastards ::)

contains spoilers obviously

http://splashreport.com/tiff-film-review-predator/

Breaking embargo too, eh? Just couldn't wait to shit on it. Gives them lots of credibility.  ;)

exactly. zero credibility. adored by the Predator fanbase  ::)

Or maybe the film is not good at all? I'm a predator fanatic but from what I'm hearing so far Black has made a predator parody and not a true sequel.

What you're hearing is mixed-to-positive reception, my friend. Which is the very same reception that every single Predator film, including the first one, had. Except for maybe 2, that was mixed-to-negative. So far, most people DO like the movie. And yes, every single one of them converge that it has tons of humor, and obviously that's gonna be a major polarizer here because if film is subjective, humor is even MORE subjective. For some people it will work 100%, for others it will work less, for people who didn't want humor at all it's probably not gonna work - unless they keep an open mind. Everybody knew what this was going to be from the start. Shane had said it, countless and countless times. For me, personally, that's what I want, because it's a Shane Black movie, so it better own it. I have 3 other perfectly good movies that I enjoy in this franchise if I want something with less humor - this I want to be hysterical. But hey, that's me. Maybe that's not you, and that's fine. But then again, it's not a problem with the film, it's a problem with what you want from it. You knew what it was going to be. They prepared you for it. So no, I don't believe for a second that the film is "not good at all".
I get what you're saying but the predator franchise has always had an overall serious tone, minus some jokes here and there. Most importantly the creatures in the first two movies were scary, hope they didn't forget that instead of  trying to get them  to be just mindless killing machines. And if the tone here boarders on parody it will not sit well with the first two movies especially when there will be a connection for sure as reports have claimed. Can't imagine a predator parody to reference the original and for us to believe that they are set in the same universe.

Not entirely true. First of all, you're the one employing the word "parody" here. You don't actually know if that's how you will feel about it just yet.
And movies can very well have different tones throughout a franchise. Take a look at some Marvel films, the Thor ones for example. First one has plenty of humor, but the tone is that of a fantasy film that has its chunks of humor. Now we get to Thor: Ragnarok, that's a comedy. It's admittedly a comedy. Now I don't know if you like Marvel films or not, that's a different discussion, but the general consensus out there - which I happen to agree with - is that Ragnarok, the one who goes all out with the comedic tone, is by far the best out of those films. Meaning for nearly everyone that tone shift worked.

I'm not saying The Predator will be an all-out comedy in the veins of that film, not at all, I don't know that and neither do you. I've only seen the Fugitive vs Upgrade scene of The Predator, and this I know for a fact: in that brief clip that I saw, there wasn't a single joke. What I get from this reception is simply that The Predator is a genre entertainment film that dares to admit it is a genre entertainment film. But, again, I don't know this just yet. Gonna have to wait and see.
Yeah but Thor has never been a serious franchise, Predator is a a movie so great people will undoubtedly compare any sequel to. The first Thor was a mediocre at best affair(my opinion of course) so there is no such pressure on any of the sequels. The Predator has to deal with the weight of the first film and stand on ins own. I get that Black loves injecting a heavy dose of humor to all his films ( I like them all pretty much) but I'm not sure the predator franchise is the right one to satire. I want the movie to be good,I love the entire predator mythology, have read all the comics and some novels,played the avp games,predator concrete jungle... Just hope the humor does not take the viewer out of the movie with its absurdity.

von

von

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

It seems to be mixed so far but that is not necessarily a bad thing, as the first film was mixed too, opinions on it may change over time and it might be better, or maybe worse.

I don't like what I have been reading though, I mean Predator has never been as gritty as Alien in tone and realism (at least the first Alien films) but this movie seems way over the top. You even got a kid with autism which is probaly going to automatically mean he can figure out the Predator tech and save the day. Not many people like special snowflakes, Mary-sues and its male equilavent.
I might be pleaseantly surprised by the movie though, I have not seen it but almost everything I heard and read about this movie is made me want to shake my head and sigh.

oldnorse

oldnorse

Just watched joblo's review on youtube and I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Wweyland

Wweyland

First review is up here as well:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_predator

Marc505

Marc505

Quote from: von on Sep 07, 2018, 09:02:08 AM
Mr. H's review

https://youtu.be/b0rgQkK6590

Great breakdown and review as always from Mr H, I trust his judgment and expecting to really enjoy the majority of this. But that ending, dear god. What an absolute lore killer.

MrH

MrH

Quote from: Marc505 on Sep 07, 2018, 10:32:45 AM
Quote from: von on Sep 07, 2018, 09:02:08 AM
Mr. H's review

https://youtu.be/b0rgQkK6590

Great breakdown and review as always from Mr H, I trust his judgment and expecting to really enjoy the majority of this. But that ending, dear god. What an absolute lore killer.

thank you, appreciate the kind words

Russ840

Russ840

The only review that I am honestly interested in and give a damn about is Hicks'.

When will it be up Hicks ?

Ingwar

Ingwar

Den of Geek - 1/5

QuoteAnd the ending? Well, let's just say at some point we should all get in a pub and talk about it. We might need some drinks.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/the-predator/60264/the-predator-review-the-hunt-is-over

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 07, 2018, 10:44:08 AM
The only review that I am honestly interested in and give a damn about is Hicks'.

When will it be up Hicks ?

To be fair, Mr_H and I were on the same track. The ending was one of my 2 big groans. Honestly, I'm working on it now. Trying to write it at work.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed