Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 389,249 times)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 29, 2017, 04:56:44 AM
Giger was not a tall guy though, here he is standing next to Ridley Scott, who is about 5' 8'', according to IMDB:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bd/ec/4d/bdec4d02435a08151fe590462a980f0f--alien--alien-vs.jpg

I think you're clutching at straws now.

Giger was not a midget, and there are shots of plenty of other crew members standing around the jockey or making plaster molds of it's sections that show the scale is considerably bigger than the engineer suits.

In Prometheus they are put on pedestals and shot from low angles to create the same illusion, but the very fact that the Engineer that gets suited into the Jockey seat is small compared to the original shows what a wide gulf there was even when trying to tie the two together.

The difference doesn't bother me, there are plenty of plausible reasons why the the original Jockey is larger, he may have been black goo infected and merged and grown with his suit for one.

asil

Space Jockey can be any size if it remains static like that.

In Prometheus with a lot of movements, Ridley went with the most practical size.

Scorpio

It looks smaller because the chair in Prometheus is actually bigger than the chair in Alien.

Baron Von Marlon

It's not about the Jockey/Engineer size in Alien and Prometheus.
It's about the size of things in the concept art compared to what we saw in the movie.
Point being there are less limitations when it comes to creating concept art, compared to actually putting things into practice.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Gash on Dec 29, 2017, 05:08:01 AM
The difference doesn't bother me, there are plenty of plausible reasons why the the original Jockey is larger, he may have been black goo infected and merged and grown with his suit for one.

It might make sense, after all it's weird that the Derelict (a spaceship, supposedly, designed to transport giants beings) has some small interiors.

Biomechanoid

That last image I can't imagine the space jockey "giant" making his way through that small corridor, but we don't know what the function of that corridor is. We could physically manage to travel through our building vents, though quite uncomfortably, but it's not the normal route we use to travel through buildings. Is that a transport corridor or a utility corridor?

Gash

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 29, 2017, 05:46:03 AM
It looks smaller because the chair in Prometheus is actually bigger than the chair in Alien.

Is it? Any source for that?

Scorpio

Quote from: Gash on Dec 29, 2017, 07:32:48 AM

There's no source that they are the same size, that I'm aware of.  And since they're both supposed to be different ships, they could be different sized chairs.  Why would you assume it's the same size?

Gash

I'm getting confused mate. You're saying the Jockey in Prometheus only looks smaller because the chair is bigger. The chair has been made to accommodate an actor this time - who looks smaller than the Jockey in ALIEN because even though he was a big man he's about two thirds the size. But if anything they would have chosen to make the chair smaller to emphasise the actor's size.

I'd assume the chairs are the same size because they represent the same thing and as far as I can tell they are the same size - literally the only scale that is different is the Jockey himself.

You side-by-side images highlight that more than the casual moviegoer is going to notice, if they don't revisit ALIEN as slavishly as the rest of us do.

Scott's reasoning was almost certainly that it evokes the same thing without his being lumbered with the more elaborate route of making the Engineers 15 feet tall. Nothing wrong with that in my view, but I think that's the way it was approached.

windebieste

Quote from: Gash on Dec 29, 2017, 07:32:48 AM

More importantly, why is that a problem..? 

-Windebieste.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 29, 2017, 06:28:13 AM
That last image I can't imagine the space jockey "giant" making his way through that small corridor, but we don't know what the function of that corridor is. We could physically manage to travel through our building vents, though quite uncomfortably, but it's not the normal route we use to travel through buildings. Is that a transport corridor or a utility corridor?

Of course, if the Jockey was never intended to leave his chair as was the general idea back when Giger painted, sculpted, and put the thing together... Then it wouldn't need to be moving around inside the ship at all.

Whiskeybrewer

The look of the city in this artwork is fantastic. would have loved to have seen it on screen

Kailem

Yeah the city stuff looks awesome. Alien, advanced, and Gigeresque. Way better than what we got in Covenant, which I felt just looked a bit bland and unimpressive. Would much have preferred to see something unique like that instead, but I guess part of the reason for the change might well have been the shift from Paradise Lost to Covenant.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 29, 2017, 10:10:42 AM
Of course, if the Jockey was never intended to leave his chair as was the general idea back when Giger painted, sculpted, and put the thing together... Then it wouldn't need to be moving around inside the ship at all.
Well that's the impression I got way back when I first saw it. The alien was fused in that cockpit and I wondered if it even had legs. Which means that space jockey is a specialized member of the species. This further leads to the question, then maybe not all of them were the same size? Was the space jockey bio-engineered for that function - requiring size enhancement to commandeer that massive alien vibrator?

Mr. Clemens

That Khang Le art... yep, that's what I wanted.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed