Was alien covenant the film Ridley Scott wanted to make?

Started by nanison, Nov 21, 2021, 12:30:10 AM

Author
Was alien covenant the film Ridley Scott wanted to make? (Read 3,837 times)

nanison

I remember him saying the fans want aliens so they will get aliens. So what was his original idea to follow up Prometheus?

Mr. Clemens

I think only Lindelof really knows.

Evanus

Well, more engineers and Shaw, that's for sure. Where that would've gone, no idea. I don't really see how a film about Shaw and David visiting the engineers, without any aliens in it, would work. Part of me still wishes we got to see that film though. But at this point I'd be more than happy with just a proper Covenant follow up.

BlueMarsalis79

With a really really good script.

Evanus

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 21, 2021, 07:09:01 PM
With a really really good script.
Let's hope they spent the past 4 years focusing on just that..  :P

BlueMarsalis79

Evanus

I know I know, they probably shelved it quietly and moved on.. But a man can dream, heh.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Nov 21, 2021, 05:33:28 PM
I think only Lindelof really knows.

I think the earliest version, albeit with more involvement from Shaw, had the Alien fighting a Neomorph and some hyena-like pathogen-based abominations. The latter is my impression taken from some concept arts by Carlos Huante, so I could be wrong.

But I agree. If there ever existed a version of the Prometheus sequel without the Alien, it must have been thought of by Lindelof. Even if it was a very vague idea or just a premise.

nanison

I don't get who is responsible for this. So they ended up doing what was done before on alien 3 ( killing of 2 important and popular characters of screen). Almost nobody rated that move then and then they decide to do it all over again with Shaw? How can they be so thick? What's is the point of having a vision or an idea when you're not allowed to express it?

This was a pure panic reaction. Prometheus wasn't a hit and the lack of aliens was the reason (which is wrong, the film failed because it was poor) so they bring us aliens and Covenant flopped as well. Logical thinking isn't very hard but for some people it seems to be impossible. Prometheus failed so the logical thing is to shelve the project if not you have to continue with your original vision and try to write something better. There is nothing worse than completely reshaping the sequel because a bunch of people wanted more aliens.
Ridley Scott should have left the project if this wasn't what he intended it to be.

Evanus

Prometheus made quite a bit of money, and they thought putting aliens in the sequel would make it perform even better. In the end the studio and Ridley made a compromise. Ridley still made a film he wanted to make, otherwise he wouldn't have done it - the guy's very busy.

PsyKore

From what I understand, the original scope was to run parallel with the Alien universe, not tie directly to it. It's focus would have been on the Engineers. Something which Ridley has always brought up in the past is that none of the sequels explored what/who the Space Jockey was, so his interest has been in that for quite some time. That's why when people want more Alien, it probably bores him.

It's frustrating how things ended up, though, because there is a brilliant movie inside Prometheus.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 22, 2021, 01:27:52 AM
From what I understand, the original scope was to run parallel with the Alien universe, not tie directly to it. It's focus would have been on the Engineers. Something which Ridley has always brought up in the past is that none of the sequels explored what/who the Space Jockey was, so his interest has been in that for quite some time. That's why when people want more Alien, it probably bores him.

Sorry I couldn't help it.  ;D

But seriously, it's interesting to think about what would have been:

On the one hand, we have Shaw looking to learn about the Engineers motivations; and on the other hand we have a damaged David philosophizing about his place in the universe, eventually flirting with the idea of rebooting the human race for better or worse. It's kinda like science vs. religion coming into conflict, and all taking place in an alien world where only god knows what life forms might be inhabiting it.

All Engineers wanted to kill mankind? Are there factions? Are there other civilizations created by the Engineers? Are Engineers themself creations too? Why do the abominations resulting from the pathogen have a phenotype similar to the Alien? ..etc.

Definitely the last thing you want to do is put David killing them in order to answer such questions..or not at least immediately after Promeheus:laugh:

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 22, 2021, 01:27:52 AM
It's frustrating how things ended up, though, because there is a brilliant movie inside Prometheus.

Ok, that makes me nostalgic and kinda make me travel in time to 2011 / 2012.  :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed