Does this mean no more prequels are planned?

Started by Look into my eye, May 08, 2019, 11:30:51 AM

Author
Does this mean no more prequels are planned? (Read 15,191 times)

Look into my eye

Corporal Hicks

As far as we know, none are greenlit. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott and his usual crew were still exploring story ideas though.

Kradan

As far as I know there's always 5-7 years gap between Alien movies:

Alien - Aliens - 7 years; Aliens - Alien 3 - 6 years; Alien 3 - Resurrection - 5 years; Resurrection - AVP (yeah, i count them too) - 7 years; AVP - Requiem - 3 years (record !); Requiem - Prometheus - 5 years; Prometheus - Covenant - 5 years.

Just wait bro. Time will do its job.

Voodoo Magic

Unless the Avatar king James Cameron convinces Disnox to move forward with a new Sigourney Weaver  led Alien3 - which the box office returns of Terminator Dark Fate may ultimately be the deciding factor of, I'm still suspecting television is next for Alien.

The Kurgan

I would be really suprised if Terminator Dark Fate will be anything approaching a sucess. Jimbo or not, the franchise seems to be even more burnt out than Alien.

Corporal Hicks

I don't think taking Alien to TV or streaming would be the worse thing in the world.

The Kurgan

Not at all. Maybe even help to bring it back on track.

Voodoo Magic

David Weyland

1 more prequel please to finish the story, do what you want after. The gaps between films reassures

bb-15

As I've written on this site before, Disney wants blockbusters.
MCU delivers that.
Alien & Predator do not.
Big hits like "Black Panther" will get another film.
Underperforming movies like "Alien Covenent" & "The Predator" will not with Disney in charge.

;)

SiL

Disney still produces and releases smaller films under its other labels.

bb-15

Quote from: SiL on May 13, 2019, 12:07:22 AM
Disney still produces and releases smaller films under its other labels.

Of course they do. But the key word is smaller or movies having a production budget far below $100 million  which are under $80 million.
So Disney companies will release small films like;
"Tini: The New Life of Violetta" (2016) / "Tini: El gran cambio de Violetta" (micro budget)
Or "The Finest Hours" (2016) ($70-80 million)
And "Pete's Dragon" (2016) ($65 million)

** Alien & Predator movies cost more than that.
- Disney has seen the box office performance of the Alien & Predator movies & from their POV, these films underperform and will not be approved.
Sequels to "Alien: Covenant" ($97 million) and "The Predator" ($88 million) would be too expensive for Disney to want to take a chance. 
This explains why with Disney's announced plans for franchise sequels, there is no mention of Alien or Predator movies.

- Disney wants at least box office 3x the production budget. And Marvel constantly gives them well beyond that. 

;)

Voodoo Magic

Me thinks Hulu is definitely the way to go.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 10:11:18 PM
Me thinks Hulu is definitely the way to go.

I think an extensive saga, on Blu-ray, mailed straight to my house would be the best way to go.

SiL

Quote from: bb-15 on May 14, 2019, 09:06:49 PM
- Disney wants at least box office 3x the production budget.
Literally every studio wants that for theatrical films.

You can make Alien and Predator movies for less than $80m. They always were before the last three.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed