Just re-watched AvP 2004.....

Started by Scott Conover, Sep 29, 2018, 05:01:22 PM

Author
Just re-watched AvP 2004..... (Read 32,772 times)

Scott Conover

Scott Conover

It's actually pretty dang good! Super cheesy, but really fun. It pays respect to both franchises while still doing its own thing and having fun with the ip.
Super underrated imo

The Cruentus

It is not the worst, Requiem has that status.
AVP could have been so much better, I give them props for what they did in making the movie but it just didn't hit the target.

SM

SM

Bland characters and hardly any versing.

The Cruentus

And said versing was them just rolling around on the floor.

Huntsman

Huntsman

AvP isn't perfect but it looks better better in retrospect. I think both species were respected.

Naginata

Naginata

Requiem makes it look like Citizen Kane by Comparison.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

^^^^
This made me laugh out loud.  :D

5 Stars * * * * * for your literary/film comparison.

Frosty Venom

AVP 2004 is decent. I believe Requiem is what truly tainted the series. If the second film was good then they would have been on their way to make a truly iconic crossover trilogy.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

AVP is quality b movie material although the cast of human characters are boring.

windebieste

windebieste

It's goofy cheesy Boys Own Adventure stuff updated for the 21st Century.  Anyone who's read and enjoyed Burroughs, Doyle or Haggard can come at this movie with that sense of fun. 

As for being respectful goes, I think this is the only movie where the Director didn't embellish the Aliens with additional life cycle features.  It's just the core egg, facehugger, chestburster and adult Alien stages. There's a Queen (added by Cameron) and we see the birth of the Predalien (Non-human hybridisation added by Fincher) at the end.  Anderson only included life cycle features that were extant at the time - he didn't add to it himself.

There's no eggmorphing (re-introduced by Scott in 2003), no birth barfing (came later, anyway) nothing was altered, added or changed by Paul Anderson.

He's the only Director to have done so.  So respectful to source material?  Yeah.  I get that.

The Human characters weren't great or memorable and the Aliens were a little too reminiscent of the ALIEN: Resurrection design but they were good enough when onscreen.  Grid becoming identifiable was a fun decision to help distinguish him from the pack.  You know, this is the Alien that killed 2 Predators!  He's the one to watch out for.

It's a fun, solid average movie.  It's not great by any means but it's certainly more watchable than AvP-R.  Would love to see a re-edited version of that movie with better lighting.

As for another one?  I'd love to see a third movie, to cap it off as a trilogy.  Personally, I'd set it on Earth again to keep it thematically consistent with the previous 2 movies and start with the Queen crawling out of the ocean and into a large outflow pipe just outside a metropolitan area and nesting the sewers.  Then cut to a scene of police officers discussing the increase in homeless people disappearing from the streets; and then build the story on that premise. 

Hell, it would be cheap.  Yeah, it would be cheesy.  Sure it would simply amount to being a remake of 'THEM'.  But as a capstone on a commonly themed Earthbound trilogy with Aliens, Predators and Humans duking it out in a decayed urban environment, it would work - and it doesn't need to connect with either of the source Properties any more than the use of the titular characters.  AvP is its own Universe and for all it cares the events in either property never happen.  Besides, it wouldn't be any worse than what we've seen before.

-Windebieste.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 30, 2018, 09:17:16 PM
It's goofy cheesy Boys Own Adventure stuff updated for the 21st Century.  Anyone who's read and enjoyed Burroughs, Doyle or Haggard can come at this movie with that sense of fun. 

As for being respectful goes, I think this is the only movie where the Director didn't embellish the Aliens with additional life cycle features.  It's just the core egg, facehugger, chestburster and adult Alien stages. There's a Queen (added by Cameron) and we see the birth of the Predalien (Non-human hybridisation added by Fincher) at the end.  Anderson only included life cycle features that were extant at the time - he didn't add to it himself.

There's no eggmorphing (re-introduced by Scott in 2003), no birth barfing (came later, anyway) nothing was altered, added or changed by Paul Anderson.

He's the only Director to have done so.  So respectful to source material?  Yeah.  I get that.

The Human characters weren't great or memorable and the Aliens were a little too reminiscent of the ALIEN: Resurrection design but they were good enough when onscreen.  Grid becoming identifiable was a fun decision to help distinguish him from the pack.  You know, this is the Alien that killed 2 Predators!  He's the one to watch out for.

It's a fun, solid average movie.  It's not great by any means but it's certainly more watchable than AvP-R.  Would love to see a re-edited version of that movie with better lighting.

As for another one?  I'd love to see a third movie, to cap it off as a trilogy.  Personally, I'd set it on Earth again to keep it thematically consistent with the previous 2 movies and start with the Queen crawling out of the ocean and into a large outflow pipe just outside a metropolitan area and nesting the sewers.  Then cut to a scene of police officers discussing the increase in homeless people disappearing from the streets; and then build the story on that premise. 

Hell, it would be cheap.  Yeah, it would be cheesy.  Sure it would simply amount to being a remake of 'THEM'.  But as a capstone on a commonly themed Earthbound trilogy with Aliens, Predators and Humans duking it out in a decayed urban environment, it would work - and it doesn't need to connect with either of the source Properties any more than the use of the titular characters.  AvP is its own Universe and for all it cares the events in either property never happen.  Besides, it wouldn't be any worse than what we've seen before.

-Windebieste.
Movie-wise, he did alter the life-cycle in terms of speed which is inconsistent within the movie itself, Scar takes ages to birth an Alien while Rousseau is killed like seconds after regaining consciousness.

happypred

happypred

I enjoyed Requiem more than AvP and The Predator...can't say it's an objectively better film though

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I think I prefer Reqiuem just because the Predator was actually recognisable as a Predator.

The Old One

The Old One

In appearance, Wolf is a spectacular action-figure.

But little else.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: happypred on Oct 01, 2018, 12:48:34 AM
I enjoyed Requiem more than AvP and The Predator...can't say it's an objectively better film though

I guess I'm around the same.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed