Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,441 times)

PierreVW

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 27, 2017, 04:34:18 PM
Quote from: palerider on Jun 27, 2017, 04:13:28 PM
Ok guys , what is the latest figures? ........Do we get a sequel or not?

well i hate that it so in a grey area right now. .i meaning if it hits anything between 240-260. .it's still in that grey area. .neither a hit or a miss. .will we get a sequal. .maybe . .maybe not. .so now the waiting game starts. .it would have almost been easier to except a complete spectacular flop. .but i always wanted it to succeed and i thought it was super entertaining. .love covenant. .personally i thought it was up the with the first 2 originals. . But according to so many of these so called fan boys it was a complete f**king incoherent mess with awfull effects and stupid plot devices and bad characters and bad acting and bad space ships and bad bad bad. .oh my god?. .f**k all those people i loved it and i will gladly lap up any and every drop that this franchise got coming. .actually enjoying prom and covenant more than alien and aliens at this point!

I agree 100%.

ALIEN: COVENANT is very entertaining to me too. I love those 3: PROMETHEUS, ALIEN: COVENANT and ALIEN.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jun 27, 2017, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: necrotard on Jun 27, 2017, 12:08:22 PM
I know Prometheus made over $400 million, but that's sort of absurdly high for an R-rated horror movie.  It seems unrealistic for Fox to bank on this movie making even $300 million, let alone matching the $400 mil success of Prometheus, doesn't it?

Life didn't even break $100million worldwide and even had an A-List cast to boot.
But then again very average Elysium, which only had good visual aesthetic and special effects but a pedestrian story earned more than Covenant, probably on strength of Matt Damon alone.

palerider

palerider

Thats why,  if there will be sequel we need a main male character..........and my vote goes to Tom Hardy an absolute badass.
Will effect the box office 100 %.

juxtapose

to answer salt and fries. .the reason that movie earned so much was because of the huge expectation after district 9 and the inclution of Jodie Foster. .it was a very meh movie overall. .and i am from SA and i was rooting for it. .having stayed in Johannesburg for 16 years and soon going back. .but nah it was a boring mess and so was chappie. .i actually slightly preferred the latter. .but not even weaver could quite save it. .including '' die antwoord'' a very urban rap weird f**ked up local band to the mix. .i dunno. ..i don't hate them. .but i just did not quite get why they were even allowed on the set. .lol

Salt The Fries

Quote from: palerider on Jun 27, 2017, 05:44:23 PM
Thats why,  if there will be sequel we need a main male character..........and my vote goes to Tom Hardy an absolute badass.

And Leonardo Di Caprio. He actually was considered for the role of David before, and he with Ridley Scott had a good history of doing films together. I think the combined star power of Di Caprio, Hardy and Fassbender could do wonders, especially if Scott wants to go with the flow and finish with a bang.

BishopShouldGo

Yeah, you can't just offer the alien. You've got to offer a bunch of things.

PRI. HUDSON

So, alien covenant now has Japan as its final release country. Prometheus took in about 22 million back 2012, meaning if it pulls in around the same now it will breach 250 million worldwide. At those numbers, I can't see why fox does not greenlight a sequel, probably  with a similar or just slightly less budget then covenant.

Hopefully, ridley Scott will pull out all the necessary tricks and stops to make a better sequel to covenant.

bb-15

well i hate that it so in a grey area right now. .i meaning if it hits anything between 240-260. .it's still in that grey area. .neither a hit or a miss. .will we get a sequal. .maybe . .maybe not. .so now the waiting game starts...

That's pretty much my view of it.
Worldwide box office is now;    $227,814,263   
It should go above $240 million after Japan. How much? Who knows.

As for a sequel, Fox needs to make some profit on "Covenant" and that will take time with streaming/disk sale money.
Imo there will be another Alien prequel/sequel, someday.

;)

juxtapose

Jesus. . . ?! with those actors onboard it.s not gonna be cheap. .what the new installment will need. .if it ever gets realilezd . .then in my always extremely humble opinion  . ..life contiinues. .like or hate it. . if at least waterston survives. .i grew a little fond of her character. .more so than rapace in prom, but actually noomi dd great with what she was given. .she never felt like female rambo. .ripley did that part already..

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 27, 2017, 07:00:28 PM
Jesus. . . ?! with those actors onboard it.s not gonna be cheap. .what the new installment will need. .if it ever gets realilezd . .then in my always extremely humble opinion  . ..life contiinues. .like or hate it. . if at least waterston survives. .i grew a little fond of her character. .more so than rapace in prom, but actually noomi dd great with what she was given. .she never felt like female rambo. .ripley did that part already..

Shaw was great. Never understood the hate from fans. She felt original. More than Waterson.

Covenant will definitely breach 250 after its Japan launch. On a 97 million dollar budget, 250 isn't bad.

lv_226

I can't blame anyone for making prognostications about this sort of thing, but I feel that rumors concerning the demise of the Alien franchise under Ridley Scott's direction are greatly exaggerated.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: bb-15 on Jun 27, 2017, 07:00:13 PM

well i hate that it so in a grey area right now. .i meaning if it hits anything between 240-260. .it's still in that grey area. .neither a hit or a miss. .will we get a sequal. .maybe . .maybe not. .so now the waiting game starts...

That's pretty much my view of it.
Worldwide box office is now;    $227,814,263   
It should go above $240 million after Japan. How much? Who knows.

As for a sequel, Fox needs to make some profit on "Covenant" and that will take time with streaming/disk sale money.
Imo there will be another Alien prequel/sequel, someday.

;)

Box office Mojo either is lagging it or not checking since it hasn't updated China's box office amount since 6/18.  If you check China's own box office numbers it's hovering around $42 million while on Mojo it's just 29 million. I could see the film at least reaching $260 after finishing its theatrical run in Japan.

PRI. HUDSON

According to BOMJ, Prometheus took in roughly 3.1 times its budget.

Covenant is at 2.34, still with a Japan release. I would argue that would push it to the 2.5-2.75 arena.

Not nearly as bad when you look at it like that.

PierreVW

Quote from: palerider on Jun 27, 2017, 05:44:23 PM

I agree. I want:

Tom Hardy and His Colonial Marines VERSUS Michael Fassbender and his Aliens!.

Mr. Xenomorph

Honestly, I think someone like Hugh Jackman would be more of a possibility for the next one than Hardy. He has a good relationship with Fox because he's been under contract with them for years with Wolvie, Logan did big numbers and he's a household name like Hardy is.

They definitely need star power for the next one though. Alien was big, but Aliens was produced post-Ghostbusters, so Sigourney was huge at that point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed