Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Sep 27, 2014, 12:50:11 AM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 110,612 times)

esz

esz

Playing it a year after the inital playthrough. Still excited, still scared sh*tless. It's so near perfection that all the flaws just don't matter for me. I'd give it a 11/10. It's a dream come true.

I love how natural is fear of the alien in this game. I - my brain, my body - react how I would when facing a real creature. The feel of helplessness, the fear for my life is so intense and real. It's a game that made the alien scary again, after it became a cliche; a monster I know all too well and am not afraid of.

What I don't like is the ending. They were too sure they'd get to make a sequel. The game is so good it seemed obvious, but sometimes sh*t happens. I blame ACM and Randy "The Liar" Pitchford.

If they don't make a sequel, they should make a comic, a DLC or whatever just resolving the plot. Even a patch with a longer cutscene: salvage crew finds Rip, they take her on board, "What the hell happened here?"; "You wouldn't believe". The end. Two more minutes and the game gets even better.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Just had an hour or so on this. Took me a little time to get back into the swing of it, just kept getting punished. I still love this game so much. I feel spoiled by it.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Just started playing again, this will be my second playthrough, on hard this time. I love this game, I wish I had it as a kid, as a fan its a dream come true. Probably my favorite alien game besides avp pc.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Awesome! Yeah, I loved AVP PC, back in the day. This game is fun to revisit, but the starting portions, while nicely presented, make me want to just jump into the game and skip to the alien.

SamuelDL

SamuelDL

I'm playing it for the third time and it's a damn wonder. An almost perfect adaptation of the first film in essence. It has been done with astonishing care: the recreation of the Xenomorph, the retrofuturist environment, the incorporation of the Joes, the respect for Alien and Aliens... It gives the feeling of being a game made by fans for fans. I consider it totally indispensable, whether you like it or not the franchise.

BA79

BA79

I have gone through Alien: Isolation once on Xbox 360. I have now returned to the game for a second time on Xbox One. The game is likely one of the most nerve-fraying experiences of my life, but I could not turn away from it! It is unbelievable that game designers can turn 1s and 0s into this detailed and terror - inducing masterpiece.
     My reasoning for coming back for more sweaty palm gaming is an update I only heard about a week ago. The game now has a novice mode. This is enabling me to explore and appreciate what the wizards who made this game created. Since I am not hiding in a locker or getting eaten for the 50th time over and over, I can take it in a little more.
     The game is true terror. The Sevestapol station's interior is a haunting reminder of The Nostromo in Alien. The level of attention to detail is astounding. You are there with Ripley, and you better pee before you start playing. Shadows and partial darkness are everywhere, but it doesn't limit game play like the console AVP that came before ACM. The sound and lighting effects cause as much near panic as the alien itself! You will live moments like Ellen Ripley's Nostromo escape many times. The distinct alarms you hear more than once...that match the alarms from the end of Alien...really made my heart rate go up.
     The game is rediculously difficult. Of that there is no doubt. Before the novice (and nightmare. Yes they did) update, you were too busy being scared to death trying to survive to look around. So, those who like games that cause your character's death frequently ...play it on hard or nightmare. For fans who want a decent challenge balanced with a tour of Sevestapol station, novice is a perfect addition that needed to be there. I admit the game was designed to scare the hell out of you, not for laughs or warm feelings.
     If you are an Alien/Aliens fan you need this game. Ignore the games since the PC AVP games. They tarnished the Alien universe for the most part. Alien: Isolation makes up for those poor attempts.

Darkness

Darkness

Just finished my second playthrough on Hard difficulty. It did seem a lot easier on this playthrough because I knew exactly where to go. I did get killed quite a few times on some checkpoints. I'd still say it's a good game and the best we've seen from these franchises. Very faithful to Alien. My original criticisms still stand. It's a very old school game with manual save points and minigames which do seem very outdated nowadays. The graphics really haven't aged well either. And the game goes on for too long. I'd have cut out a lot of android stuff in the middle and sort of condensed the last few chapters with the hive section.

I did say somewhere in this thread that I didn't realise Samuels was an android but they made it pretty clear early on. I guess that's how little I pay attention to stories. The story could have been better. I wish there were more cutscenes. But the music and sound design is phenomenal. And even though it can be frustrating as hell at times when you just want to get from A to B, the randomness of the Alien AI is really good.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Personally I still think Isolation is the best thing to come out of the franchise since the original trilogy of movies. I think the general aesthetic is wonderful and I could quite happily spend all day wandering around Sevastopol. It's interesting what you say about old-school. I actually like the manual saving and puzzle aspect. I like the audio logs and Resident Evil style text files too. I've always loved using this type of supplementary information to work out and piece together the back story like some kind of mystery.

I think the story was fine for what it was. I don't think it could have been made into a movie because it was just too similar to Alien in that regard. But I agree with your other criticisms, the game goes on for far too long and the graphics are starting to show their age.

I wish we'd gotten some more story DLC. A prequel level where you play as perhaps Waites just wandering around the station hunting down the loose chestburster would have been great. It would have been cool to explore the environments before the shit hit the fan and interact with people like Ransome face to face.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Me too. The manual saves were genius and really enhanced that lo-fi feeling they were going for but without dating the over-all gameplay imho.

lost dragon

lost dragon

:-)) I had William Hope sign my copy of the PS3 version (The man was a joy to meet,he really was)...at London Comic Con on Saturday.

He said, now.. I am not really much of a gamer myself,but i hear good things about this.

So ended up briefly chatting about it with him

BlazinBlueReview

BlazinBlueReview

Quote from: lost dragon on Jul 30, 2018, 07:44:24 PM
:-)) I had William Hope sign my copy of the PS3 version (The man was a joy to meet,he really was)...at London Comic Con on Saturday.

He said, now.. I am not really much of a gamer myself,but i hear good things about this.

So ended up briefly chatting about it with him

That's really awesome

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So after re-reading The Cold Forge twice in a month and the Isolation influence so obvious, it really put me in the mood and I've finally gone back to replay the game. I've only played it through twice - one on Normal and then again on Hard - because it's just one of those games I want to sink into it and just play through to get the full enjoyment out of. And there's not enough night-time this time of year.

I started again on Saturday and left it last night just about to start KG-348. I still f**king love this game. Perfect presentation and it just damn drips atmosphere.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

You should try it on nightmare mode.  :laugh: Your tracker barely works and sometimes fails, while the ai is more smarter and relentless, there is less resources so your flamethrower becomes more valuable than ever but you will be reluctant to use it as you really need the fuel.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Resorces on that mode are the true nightmare,  you will only be able to craft a few itens, most of the time you will have to run from the droids only killing the ones obligatory to progress in the game, and save all the flamethrower ammo for the hive part as it runs out fast.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Samhain13 on Aug 21, 2018, 01:35:45 PM
Resorces on that mode are the true nightmare,  you will only be able to craft a few itens, most of the time you will have to run from the droids only killing the ones obligatory to progress in the game, and save all the flamethrower ammo for the hive part as it runs out fast.

Haha I'm not sure I've got the minerals to try it on Nightmare.

I finished KG-348 labs last night. This will always be one of one of my favourite Alien related gaming sections. It was the area Creative Assembly demoed to the press and was my first taste of the game and damn is still 100% effective.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed