Ken Barthelmey Shares Early The Predator Concept Art!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 16, 2018, 07:02:00 PM

Author
Ken Barthelmey Shares Early The Predator Concept Art! (Read 4,291 times)

Corporal Hicks

After teasing a few pieces on his Twitter, Ken Barthelmey, one of the talented artists who worked on The Predator, has updated his website with some concepts from the earlier days of The Predator’s production.

In particular there are images of the work Ken did on the Emissary Predator’s and some commentary on each piece.

Even though they didn’t make it in the film, it was great fun to work on them. The Emissaries are the intellectual class of the Predator homeworld. They are NOT hunters and don’t wear armor. They were supposed to be brainier, leaner of frame and less aggressive looking than the big Hunter/warrior Predators. I thought this was a great opportunity to come up with a new looking Predator design. I gave them a more domed forehead and a bony face. I also came up with the idea to bundle the dreadlocks, which gave the head an interesting shape. The black leather cape made it look more like a higher class citizen.

Emissary Predator
Emissary Predator
Emissary Predator
Emissary Predator

Of interest are some early explorations of the Upgrade Predator. In the earlier leaked script of The Predator, a point was made of the human DNA that was a part of the Upgrade Predator’s genetic make-up. According to Ken’s notes on the various concepts, this angle was certainly being toyed with in the design work.

The Upgrade was described as a 12 foot tall next gen Predator. He needed to look bigger, more cunning and more lethal than the other Predators. An important aspect was that he has human DNA, because as it turns out the Predators admire the human capacity for dealing death. In this early sketch I tried to make him look like a hybrid and gave him some human traits

Upgrade Predator
Upgrade Predator
Upgrade Predator
Upgrade Predator
Upgrade Predator
Upgrade Predator

Ken also shared some early – and wildly different – takes on the Predator Dogs!

Predator Dog
Predator Dog
Predator Dog

Be sure to head on over to Ken’s website to check out the further notation on these concepts!

Keep checking in with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on The Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

DerelictShip

The dogs would have been way better if they were unique as shown here. The Upgrade would have been sweet if he had that 'skeleton' looking face.

D88M

this actually looks WAY better than what we got

Wysps

That first dog pic is neat - wonder what that eye thing would have been used for.  Also digging the first three drawings of the Upgrade. 

newagescamartist

It looks like the newborn if the newborn was a Predator lol.

Wysps

Yep, the Emissaries do have that kind of "newborn" look.  Not much a fan of those...

The Old One

The Old One

Far superior hound designs
Especially the first.

All beautiful renderings, I'd give this guy a shot at.a PredAlien.

Jango1201

I still like the dogs from Predators. Looked nothing like the predators and very intimidating.

The Old One

The Old One

Genuinely love the Hound design, hopefully something similar is onscreen someday.
Maybe a variation on Kyle Brown's original Hound design, Ken Barthelmey's Hound design and the Predators Hound design alongside each other.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed