Alien 3 – Paranoia in Pinewood - Blog by Ralph Brown

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 13, 2016, 07:18:26 PM

Author
Alien 3 – Paranoia in Pinewood - Blog by Ralph Brown (Read 47,738 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Unfortunately so do a bunch of people.
Hence the stories compromised as the character or the character's family is shoehorned into them.

(Everything after the original Trilogy, aside from Isolation just barely.)

Hudson

I mean, the first 4 films comprise a character arc that gives the typical monster movie quite a bit of substance. I'm still holding out for one more with Sigourney, however unlikely it may be. David hasn't occupied her absence in a meaningful way for me.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't get that argument at all, because David isn't great, means Ripley is necessary?

No thank you, I'm beyond done and tired of hearing the Ripley name attached to the franchise/saga. The first three are an arc, the fourth isn't Ripley and it's basically a parody.

Hudson

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 10, 2019, 06:24:52 PM
I don't get that argument at all, because David isn't great, means Ripley is necessary?

No thank you, I'm beyond done and tired of hearing the Ripley name attached to the franchise/saga.

I said his occupation of the void left by Ripley wasn't meaningful for me, not that it logically meant Ripley is necessary. I didn't even say David "isn't great." David's an interesting character in some ways, but he's become a pretty simple villain. Good lord, chill out.

The Old One

The Old One

"I'm still holding out for one more with Sigourney Weaver."
I'm against the notion of it, in fact I just don't understand the mentality behind it at all.

As for Ripley Vs David, they're each so unique, one's a protagonist and one's a antagonist for a start.

Hudson

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 10, 2019, 06:32:05 PM
"I'm still holding out for one more with Sigourney Weaver."
I'm against the notion of it.

I just don't understand the mentality behind comparing them, as if they're so unique.

Great. Noted.

But the mentality behind comparing two characters who are each the centerpiece of their respective stints in the franchise? Seems to make sense to me. Are you saying Ripley and David are not unique from each other? lol wut?

And we don't need you to understand the mentality. It's not a pathological condition; it's a matter of personal taste.

The Old One

The Old One

Spoiler
Apologies typo.
As they're so unique.

I think you're taking this way, way, way too personally. I don't discuss film on a forum to start adolescent drama. If I wanted to insult, I'd say it seems like your personal taste is garbage but I don't even believe that.
[close]
I just don't understand is why people want more Sigourney Weaver.

As part of what made her unique, is no fate, no destiny, no sword in the stone. Ripley's a nobody, and anyone's capable of survival if they're crafty enough.

You undermine it all if you draw out Ripley's presence any further, especially nearly 28 years after the character perished.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

The correct course of action is to create a Alien film or even TV-Series as a tightly written drama first and foremost, something like a mix of Black Mirror, The Terror and Chernobyl. Horror ontop.

Get people invested (new stories, new characters, new protagonists) and then, only then, horrify them.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Enjoy on Jun 10, 2019, 05:45:21 PM
This confirms my thoughts that weaver thinks she is the alien franchise

I think that's kind of a fair assessment, but I have a couple other theories.

1. She may have been method acting in a way. Considering Brown mentions that plenty of other actors didn't have the same relationship with her (based on their claims) that he describes in his diaries, she may have been working behind the scenes to affect their on-screen chemistry. Aaron behaves in a manner around Ripley that's kind of uncomfortable and insecure, but based on his character he's also the insecure second in command who merely goes around repeating what Andrews says and trying to look tough, when we know he's just doing that outwardly rather than evoking who he really is at his core. He's clearly terrified of the prisoners and the Alien, and also Ripley. I think it works on screen. Plus, Brown admits that she apologized to him afterwards, so it ended up not being as personal as it felt in the moment, at least in the long term. Of course, if what he says about Fincher is true, that he was constantly on his side in the context of his interactions with Weaver, and his quote about her "vampiring" the scene or whatever, then maybe she was just being mean and egotistical. But I find it kind of hard to believe that's the case.

2. She was credited as a "co-producer" on the film, and actually had the authority to make decisions about what took place on screen. It was the first time she had been in that position, according to IMDb. And she superseded Fincher in authority (and especially Ralph Brown), as directors are beneath producers, especially 27-year-old music video directors. She could have been exercising her right to vocalize what she did and didn't want based on her position within the production staff as a co-producer, which she was entitled to do.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2019, 08:13:27 PM2. She was credited as a "co-producer" on the film, and actually had the authority to make decisions about what took place on screen. It was the first time she had been in that position, according to IMDb. And she superseded Fincher in authority (and especially Ralph Brown), as directors are beneath producers, especially 27-year-old music video directors. She could have been exercising her right to vocalize what she did and didn't want based on her position within the production staff as a co-producer, which she was entitled to do.

Don't forget that she also had three Oscar nominations under her belt by then as well.  I'm sure that kind of thing can go to anyone's head.

Huggs

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2019, 08:13:27 PM
Of course, if what he says about Fincher is true, that he was constantly on his side in the context of his interactions with Weaver, and his quote about her "vampiring" the scene or whatever, then maybe she was just being mean and egotistical. But I find it kind of hard to believe that's the case.

She's human. It's entirely possible.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 09, 2019, 05:45:25 PM
Hell, HBO could produce a whole miniseries about the making of Alien 3.

I could see someone doing a production mostly inspired by it, 'Galaxy Quest' style.

HuDaFuK

Maybe if Rinzler's book on Alien is a success he can do one for each of the sequels :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 11, 2019, 03:32:46 PM
Maybe if Rinzler's book on Alien is a success he can do one for each of the sequels :)

I'm hoping so! (as long as it's good)

Mr. Clemens

I've got his books on Star Wars IV and VI, and they're each equally fascinating. RotJ was a gift, and I was secretly thinking, "is a book about RotJ really gonna be as interesting as a book about Star Wars?". Short answer: yes.  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed