Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,213 times)

Necronomicon II

Shamwow was more innovative.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 11, 2019, 08:21:58 AM
A retcon is not 'innovative'.  What a crock.  lol.

-Windebieste.

Retcon as is - of course no. It's just a word, as canon. But content - yes. And NB's art for Alien 5 show it us. New eggs, new monsters, new badass marines. May be the queen will be a victim for a new species (like T-Rex in JP3). I mean, Alien 5 doesn't look like a replay of Aliens. Some people say that this movie is not innovative (can't be innovative), because it's returns the old characters. Sorry, but it's not an argument (can't be an argument). Because characters a part of story and use olds characters we can call "not innovative" all movies with Ripley (include Aliens). Sounds funny, I agree. Innovations for Alien movies is a new aliens atributes. And with it in Blomkamp's movie all OK.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Feb 10, 2019, 11:25:23 PM
Dull characters, having it set on Earth, no space marines, general lack of tension, very little fighting, sped up Alien life cycle, roided up Predators.

Take your pick.

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 10, 2019, 11:59:10 PM

Terrible characters, action movie without any horror, bad special effects, terrible writing, horrible art direction and f**kING BULLET TIME FACEHUGGERS

https://i.redd.it/b07qmbho1qfz.gif

Also they get rid of the Alien Queen by throwing her right into the sea, which happens to be the largest interconnected set of ecosystems on Earth, surrounding all land mass. Very smart when we're talking about the egglaying representant of a particularly invasive species.

Still, I preferred it to Requiem. At least AVP was trying to tell a story, rather than to be "darker and edgier" for the sake of it.

Well. thank you for your patient answers. Your thoughts all are valid but... I guess it's because it was first movie in A/P franchises that i watched but i still like it for what it is. And i don't see characters as terribly written (maybe they're) . So, i'm sorry for that  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Space Pilot on Feb 11, 2019, 11:25:14 AM
And NB's art for Alien 5 show it us. New eggs, new monsters, new badass marines.

Aside from the Korean soldier, which may or may not classify as a Marine- what are you talking about?

The Big Chap with little arms hot glued onto it's torso?

Ripley wearing an Alien skin like a Halloween costume?

The apparently Eggmorphed victim?

None of these I would describe as innovative.
The Korean soldier, could be, the rest are just laughable.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2019, 12:22:10 AM
I think she probably could - at least for a while, but yeah, being tied to the tank the implication is that she's as good as dead.

Wasn't it a lake, not a sea?

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Feb 11, 2019, 05:45:26 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 10, 2019, 07:01:24 PM
Isn't he just saying that he is working on giving Blomkamp a call? I think this quote has been blown out of proportion.

Yep that's what we've been saying all along.

That's all I'm saying on the news post too.

At the end of the day, it seems like Blomkamp's Alien 5 actually getting greenlit in the first place was due to the positive reaction to his artwork. It caused some huge positive news. That seems like a rare event on the internet these days. While some people might not like the idea or still be unsure (myself included), every little nugget that comes out causes more ruckus and mostly (from my perspective) seems positive.

I think NB or JC are smart enough to have seen that or be doing it on purpose to help get things moving again.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 10, 2019, 09:38:30 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 09, 2019, 09:54:39 PM
Has Carrie Henn expressed any interest in returning, even in a cameo role? I wouldn't like to see her replaced by some 'action-babe-of-the-week'.

Carrie said that apparently Neill had a cameo in mind for her involving a video-phone call or something. The Corporal might be able to recall more - word is he has an eidetic memory.  ;)

Dick.

*its funny because my memory is awful and often requires a lot of rereading.

SM

DarthWall275

I'm genuinely surprised so many people are actually supporting this, considering Blomkamp's past "masterpieces" such as....Chappie.

Of course given both Scott and Jim's latest works, tgis may actually be preferable. And I shouldn't be saying that.

Neocron

The Queen in AVP was dropped into the sea/lake without her oviposter.... so I don't think she would have the capability to lay eggs.  Unless there's something in the EU material that indicates a queen can grow a new oviposter (I don't think there is, but I could be wrong)....

SM

The reason this even got any traction in the first place was because so many were supporting it.

CelticP

Quote from: DarthWall275 on Feb 11, 2019, 07:56:14 PM
I'm genuinely surprised so many people are actually supporting this, considering Blomkamp's past "masterpieces" such as....Chappie.

Of course given both Scott and Jim's latest works, tgis may actually be preferable. And I shouldn't be saying that.

I love Chappie

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: CelticP on Feb 11, 2019, 11:25:34 PM

I love Chappie

Ya, Chappie improves with time.  It is definitely rewatchable.  Those crazy rappers are somehow compelling.  It's fun.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 11, 2019, 01:52:35 PM
*its funny because my memory is awful and often requires a lot of rereading.

Maybe you need some freaky Memento-style tattoos...

SM

^ do not believe his lies

CelticP

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 12, 2019, 01:10:32 AM
Quote from: CelticP on Feb 11, 2019, 11:25:34 PM

I love Chappie

Ya, Chappie improves with time.  It is definitely rewatchable.  Those crazy rappers are somehow compelling.  It's fun.

It's a very sweet, simple story that I think because of the bad trailer gave people tonal whiplash before the film even got off the ground. It also has one of the better Hans Zimmer scores he's done in a long ass time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp_0znLuEbk&index=16&t=0s&list=PLPm11gAwdpzWjw0DUIn7JmeQwD1-olXtk

VF-117A

At this point, I feel that there's no director that can bring the Alien and Predator franchises back to their former greatness. Plus, with Disney screwing around with 20th Century Fox, it seems the best we can hope for now is a good novel series from both franchises.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed