The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Oct 02, 2014, 10:36:46 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 107,747 times)

razeak

razeak

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 25, 2019, 10:35:01 AM
IGN are just never going to live that review down as far as the Alien fandom is concerned.

Dont forget the follow up proper review they did that scored it accurately.  They had never done that before as far as I know.

Randy Pitchford, Gearbox, Joss Whedon, AR director, Brothers Strause, Shane Black, etc..   never forgiven lol.

Corporal Hicks

Kimo

Kimo

Didn't GameSpot also give it a bad rating?

Anyhow I can see that this game is not for everyone. One of my friends who enjoy the movies never taking to Alien Isolation because he don't have the patience for stealth type of games and got frustrated by getting killed by the alien. However he agrees that the game looked amazing and can see why people like it. 

The Cruentus

What I remember finding funny about that IGN review was his compliant that is was too hard....after he actually chose hard mode (assuming I recall correctly).

Kimo

Kimo

He should of played it on easy. I've completed the game on all difficulties and found the game on easy to be the most fun. 

The Cruentus

I have done it on hard mode and nightmare mode, I might do it on easy or normal for certain achievements though, since that allows you to explore more freely without worrying about being ganked.

Darkness

Darkness

Short interview with Feral Interactive here about porting the game to Switch.

QuoteIn the case of Alien: Isolation, Digital Foundry has argued that the Switch version actually looks better than its counterparts on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. While this praise must be encouraging to the team, knowing that the work will be analysed in such forensic detail, with side-by-side comparisons drawing attention to any minor inconsistency, must put additional pressure on the developers.

"It does add pressure," Smith confirms, "but in a good cause. Reviewers such as Digital Foundry set a standard by which developers know their efforts will be judged, and setting the bar high is good for everyone, players, platform holders and developers. It is true that some don't immediately understand the implications of an analysis, but people are smart, if they are interested they figure it out, and it's good to have knowledgeable customers."
We have had a blast working on GRID Autosport and Alien Isolation. We are confident that they won't be the last games we bring to Switch.

Of course, it's impossible to please everyone. A small number of players noted input latency while playing the Switch version of Alien: Isolation and Feral responded saying this was partly the result of triple buffering and will remain present as part of a development 'trade-off'. "Every game has some form of latency," Smith explains, "as any input from the player has to do several things before any correlate appears on screen: the player presses a button on the controller; the Controller reports the input to the main device; the device reports the movement to the game; the input is processed by the game; the GPU draws the frame; the frame is rendered to the screen. Every step of this process incurs a small delay. Some players are very sensitive to these delays, but the majority of people don't perceive them."

"The trade-off here was between incurring a little extra input latency perceived by a very small faction of players versus displaying screen tearing, which would be seen by everyone. We chose the path, which affected the fewest players." Given the inevitable compromises required when porting games effectively, it's hard to argue Feral didn't make the right choice here. Personally, we find screen tearing interminably distracting but everyone will have their own preferences.

www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/feature_feral_interactive_on_the_pleasures_and_pitfalls_of_porting_to_switch

The Old One

The Old One

Good for them.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Kradan

Kradan

Fair enough

BlueMarsalis79

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or the other, so here, this video's full of great insight.

Local Trouble

Kradan

Kradan

Neither did RLM

Local Trouble

This?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed