Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,321 times)

MadassAlex

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 06, 2010, 01:38:16 AM
It would be your own damned fault for having those expectations.

Any band knows that it's name is a part of its overall presentation. It's a part of the way they advertise themselves and appeal to a target audience; if a band has an ass-kicking name, it's normal to presume that they play ass-kicking music.

Not that they're the only band to do this, but they're lame and used up a perfectly good band name in the process so nyeh.

maledoro

Quote from: MadassAlex on Sep 06, 2010, 01:58:52 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 06, 2010, 01:38:16 AM
It would be your own damned fault for having those expectations.

Any band knows that it's name is a part of its overall presentation. It's a part of the way they advertise themselves and appeal to a target audience; if a band has an ass-kicking name, it's normal to presume that they play ass-kicking music.

Not that they're the only band to do this, but they're lame and used up a perfectly good band name in the process so nyeh.
They've sold more than a modest amount of records, gathered lots of critical acclaim and had influenced many other musicians since. They're more of a T. rex than you'll ever know.

Again, just because you don't like them...

Meathead320

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 06, 2010, 01:47:39 AM
Quote from: Meathead320 on Sep 06, 2010, 01:22:48 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 06, 2010, 12:33:49 AM
Hands down, Tyrannosaurus rex for two reasons. First, it had a kickass band named after it. Secondly, some scientists believe that it had evolved into the modern chicken, and chicken goes great with beer!

AHAH AHAH AHA HA HA.

No really?

Birds had already evolved FAR before T.Rex ever showed up. T.Rex was late to the party in the amount of time Dinosaurs were around so to speak.

ONLY One species of Dinosaur evolved into birds. ALL the rest went extinct. That one was certainly not T.Rex.

The chicken you could say is descended from a distant cousin of T.Rex, but not directly.

Your point being?

Birds are the direct descendants of dinosaurs. They first started to appear in the Cretaceous, but at the end of the day, that doesn't make a difference.

My point is that T.Rex did not evolve into any bird at all.

They first started to appear in the late Triassic actually, and were well established already by the Cretaceous.

DoomRulz

Not directly, but they are related.

SM

They didn't evolve cos Marc Bolan died.

DoomRulz

You and your pop culture references...

MadassAlex

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 06, 2010, 02:21:14 AM
They've sold more than a modest amount of records

So has Soulja Boy. Dude's the laughing stop of rap and hip-hop communities everywhere.

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 06, 2010, 02:21:14 AMgathered lots of critical acclaim

Define 'critical acclaim' and give me a reason why those sources should be considered authoritative.

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 06, 2010, 02:21:14 AMand had influenced many other musicians since

So did punk rock and now passive-aggressive irony is the cool thing in music. Doesn't say a thing.

T.rex is on the better end of mediocrity, but they're one of the thousands upon thousands of artists that took what other bands did well and watered it down to a ridiculous degree. Good PR, though. Like KISS in that respect. Still doesn't make the music particularly interesting, even in the context of their contemporaries. As cliched as it sounds to reference Led Zeppelin, I have to 'cause it's always sounded to me like T.rex were trying to be them. 'Cept Led Zep had the balls to go nuts, as did other rock bands. T.rex are a boring footnote in comparison to many of those bands 'cause they were entirely happy being boring.

Usually, musical movements that end up dead are that way for a reason. Glam rock (and hair metal) had nothing to contribute, consumers got savvy and the movements died. T.rex was a bland, boring, trend-following band in a bland, boring, trend-following genre. No news there.

SM

Children of the Revolution is sweet.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 06, 2010, 01:17:14 AM
The T.Rex in JP was too big in a lot of shots. The opening scene where it first crashes out of the fence, followed by the view from the jeep, and the scene where it consumes the lawyer are all great examples. It's too tall, head is too big, and the arms are too big.
Yes, the arms are 2, 3 centimetres longer than they were in reality I think. The head isn't that big. It exceeds of some centimetres maybe, but not too big. Same for the height.
Spoiler

Gennaro was on the wc so it's not full height.

[close]

DoomRulz

The head was too big in most shots. Way too big. If you've ever seen an actual T.Rex skull, it's no more than 5 ft long, 5.2 tops. There's no way an average sized man will fit in his entirety in the mouth.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

In fact it didn't.
The legs were left out until it probably either swallowed him whole or torn some shreds. I remember a line "This may be Gennaro..."

DoomRulz

his feet were out of the Rex's mouth as I recall when she picked him up in the air.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 06, 2010, 08:01:25 AM
his feet were out of the Rex's mouth as I recall when she picked him up in the air.
Whole legs (and butt) were left out. Here's an extract from the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzfrod7hcE

maledoro

Quote from: Meathead320 on Sep 06, 2010, 02:40:25 AM
My point is that T.Rex did not evolve into any bird at all.
Your "point" is supported by ignoring that science article I had posted.

Quote from: MadassAlex on Sep 06, 2010, 03:18:21 AM
So has Soulja Boy.
Two different concepts. Nice try. There's not enough deodorant to cover your argument.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yeah, Tyrannosaurus and Chicken are related because the direct ancestors of Chicken (Aves in general) are in fact Maniraptora Theropods. But Tyrannosaurus ultimately took a different evolutional direction. On the other hand this article which debates the soft tissues being just bacterial biofilms. Which one do we want to trust? That is the question..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed