Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,353 times)

DoomRulz

That wouldn't make sense, because not all dinosaurs evolved into birds. Only the theropods did. What happens to the herbivores?

Puks

Quote from: Noir-Gojira on Jun 15, 2010, 07:35:28 PM
Quote from: Puks on Jun 15, 2010, 10:52:21 AM
I'm confused myself..

Systematically speaking, you and me are still part of clade Sarcopterygia, lobe-finned fish, even if we evolved much further and don't resemble fish now at all.

The same applies to birds, even if they are miles away from "classic" reptiles, the clade Aves is part of Reptilia/Sauropsida, and further part of  Amniota, Tetrapoda, Sarcopterygia, Vertebrata, etc.

All sauropsids and their descendants are reptiles and some reptiles are birds.
This is what happens when you let bureaucracy get in the way of common sense :P.  There are many who don't agree with the reclassification of aves and would rather restructure the entire dinosaur superorder.

It is common sense, I'm just confused about Zilla's confusion.

DoomRulz

I can believe it Puks. Our oldest ancestor was a fish.

Noir-Gojira

Except that we are no longer classified as fish.  Or reptiles, from which we also evolved.  Unlike aves, mammals retain their own class for little better reason than because our girls have boobs :P

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 15, 2010, 08:16:08 PM
That wouldn't make sense, because not all dinosaurs evolved into birds. Only the theropods did. What happens to the herbivores?
Exactly.  The term 'dinosaur' may no longer even apply to all of them.  Like I said, science can take categorizing too far.

Puks

QuoteExcept that we are no longer classified as fish.  Or reptiles, from which we also evolved.  Unlike aves, mammals retain their own class for little better reason than because our girls have boobs :P

We're not part of "fish" sensu lato, but Sarcopterygia, yes.

We haven't evolved from reptiles. Mammals and their ancestors - Synapsida and true reptlies - Sauropsida are sister clades in the higher clade Amniota. Aves are rightfully considered reptlies because they're sauropsids. Big difference.

QuoteExactly.  The term 'dinosaur' may no longer even apply to all of them.  Like I said, science can take categorizing too far.

Dunno about you guys, but when I think of the term "dinosaur", both Ornithischia and Saurischia including birds come to my mind.

SiL

When I think dinosaurs I think Jurassic Park.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Puks on Jun 15, 2010, 08:20:55 PM
I'm just confused about Zilla's confusion.
I'm confused about your confusion about my confusion now. ??? :D

Quote from: SiL on Jun 16, 2010, 09:17:00 AM
When I think dinosaurs I think Jurassic Park.
Those are Monster-a-saurs with Frog DNA. ;) ;D

Tangakkai

When I think of Dinosaurs I pretty much think of the "Walking with dinosaurs" series. The CGI was not so good but for a documentary they did a decent and realistic job.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Puks on Jun 15, 2010, 09:00:50 PM
QuoteExactly.  The term 'dinosaur' may no longer even apply to all of them.  Like I said, science can take categorizing too far.

Dunno about you guys, but when I think of the term "dinosaur", both Ornithischia and Saurischia including birds come to my mind.

As do I, but you're not going to hear someone like Bakker or Currie argue that birds evolved from Triceratops or Sauroposeidon :P

Puks

Perhaps I missed the point?  ???

DoomRulz

I just mean that, when discussing the evolution of birds, we only talk about the theropod dinosaurs so re-classifying the entire species would be pointless. Ironic though, when you consider that Ornithiscia means "bird-hipped" yet only the herbivores are classified as such.

xxxBIOHAZARDxxx

Dinosaurs are cool...

Necrokult

Whats is your favorite pre-historic dinosaur and why? give a comment

For me the Velociraptor cause they were fast, deadly and more smarter than primates, they worked together and hunt together. they are awesome.

Meathead320

That would be GODZILLA.

;D

He is 500ft tall, and cleanly beat the raptor at Badassery.

Necrokult

dont forget Godzilla is a myth :P and look at that godzilla ahahhahaha

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed