Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,244 times)

DoomRulz

•Mystery of what the animal spinal plates were for will also be unravelled

That's what's got me intrigued the most. Hopefully whatever they unravel could be used to answer questions about Dimetrodon or Spinosaurus.

MrSpaceJockey

That's my sisters favorite dinosaur, and her name is Sophia.

Dope.

DoomRulz

Poor thing is popular for the wrong reason, lol.

Vertigo

A new amber specimen shows that a hallucinogenic fungus infested grass spores 100 million years ago - and it's very likely that dinosaurs would have eaten them.

Aside from the mental image of a sauropod tripping balls, this is also the final, conclusive evidence that grasses were present and well-evolved by at least the Late Cretaceous.

DoomRulz

JW should totally have a T.Rex on acid.

Vertigo

I don't know if you're into non-JP dinosaur figures, Doom, but thought you might want to check these out. The swimming Spinosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Nasutoceratops and mammals look pretty bodacious in my opinion.

DoomRulz

Yes!! I've seen the swimming Spino which is awesome enough, but that feathered T.Rex is f**king gorgeous. f**k you Papo!!! Y'all ain't shit 8)

Gilfryd

DoomRulz

That's overdoing it :P

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

That T-rex looks too cute :P!

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

DoomRulz

I think it's still just a matter of right time, right place. I can't recall who said/wrote this, but if the asteroid had hit the Earth one million years earlier or later than when it did, the dinosaurs wouldn't have died out because Earth wasn't in complete turmoil.

Vertigo

Potentially, yeah. The Deccan Traps were formed around the same time, a colossal chain of volcanoes - when they erupted, they blanketed half of India in lava, and would have had a profound effect on global climate. Sea levels dropped massively, and this could be related to global cooling caused by the volcanoes.
The latest research I've read postulated that the volcanic event happened half a million years before the Chicxulub impact, so it seems the end-Cretaceous was subjected to two mass-extinction events in a short span of time.

It's a bit similar to the age we're living in right now. Global fauna's already decimated by the glaciation-thaw cycle of our present ice age, and now that the world has human agriculture and poaching to contend with, most species around the top of the food chain are critically endangered.

Still. There's no way of knowing if the non-avian dinosaurs could have survived the asteroid impact if it had come out of a clear blue sky, its effects may just have been too great for any ecosystem based on living plant matter to survive. Possibly some descendants of the insectivorous and smallest dinosaurs (such as alvarezsaurs) may have made it through.

DoomRulz

I think it would depend on the state of the planet. One thing the K/T extinction has in common with the Permian/Triassic extinction is that the planet was already collapsing, environmentally. The continents were shifting, animals were dying out due to extreme environmental changes, and all it takes is one last major blow to throw everything into chaos.

DoomRulz

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed