Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,501 times)

DoomRulz

I fear for China's fossil sites. Do you think the government would let them go to waste as a result?

Vertigo

Well there'll always be plenty of western palaeontologists itching to dig around China, but my understanding is that the government's quite protective (when it comes to legitimate excavation...). It could be that they'd be more willing to let the fossil sites go untapped and left for pirate diggers (the best name I could come up with right now) and a nebulous future generation, rather than loosening restrictions for foreign scientists.

That said, I don't know the exact extent of the current restrictions. And it's probably not something we'll need to worry about until Xu Xing's generation grow too old to lead research.

Xenodog

Vertigo

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I first heard that. One of the increasingly numerous things we've accomplished in palaeontology that I thought would never be possible.

Not to mention, it's pretty goddamn hair-raising in its own right.

Xenodog

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 21, 2014, 07:04:06 PM
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I first heard that. One of the increasingly numerous things we've accomplished in palaeontology that I thought would never be possible.

The first one especially is really odd. Awesome stuff though.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 21, 2014, 07:04:06 PM

Hair-raising indeed!! that blew me away. can you imagine what this will lead to? imagine if this could be done with other dinosaurs!

DoomRulz

Vertigo

That is very interesting indeed. I'm curious to know where that puts the rest of the neovenatorids, within which Megaraptora has lately been dumped.

DoomRulz

Assuming they share similar traits, I imagine they'll be put into the tyrannosauroid family.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

DoomRulz

Not really seeing a whole-lot of wing shaped structures on its head. It doesn't look that different from Chasmosaurus.

Immortan Jonesy

Chasmosaurus reminds me of a xeno queen xd

btw look at this strange sea creature...

The first thing I thought was that the creature was a prehistoric turtle as archelon, but apparently is another kind of reptile :p

Vertigo

Their closest widely-known relatives are actually plesiosaurs. Sauropterygians were a diverse group, lots of odd critters lurking in that tree.

DoomRulz

Aw, look. Cera's little sister, lol. Awesome artwork 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed