Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 280,242 times)

Effectz

DoomRulz

judge death

Hmm that were some old dino videos xD Reminds me of yesterday when I took a look in some old dino books I found and how outdated they were and the illustrations especially. Some facts were still correct although.

I knew that already that only a few are dinos the rest are different species :) But to the average person all reptiles etc are dinos.

DoomRulz

judge death

I have now learned a lot about dinosaurs and their world and started to look on animal life after them and prior to them, a bit harder to find good info about those, hence I would like to ask here if you could share some info/knowledge about some animals I´m interested in. I will start with asking for info about this one:

Thylacoleo "marsupial lion" who lived too not long ago and the info I´ve managed to find so far is that they are one of the most specially adapted mammal predators to live but not much info why? So need your help to learn more about this animal to start with. :)

Vertigo

It's new tyrannosaurid time.

Qianzousaurus is one of the smaller known tyrannosaurids, 29 feet long and weighing around 800kg, making it a little bigger than Alaskan dwarf Nanuqsaurus that we were talking about a few months ago. It may be the adult version of Alioramus.

More importantly, it proves the existence of a new subfamily living at the end of the Cretaceous, with long, shallow, narrow snouts. I would guess they may have been analogous to the spinosaurids and larger unenlagiines - big fish-eaters which occasionally dabbled in land predation. Qianzhousaurus lived in the same place (China) and time (Maastrichtian) as Tarbosaurus, making it likely that the two had different predation habits, and/or occupied different habitats in the same region.

DoomRulz

Snouts look like those of the fabled fish-eaters, but what story do the teeth tell? I hear tyrannosaurid and I instinctively think of thick bone crushers.

Also, on a different note,

http://deadspin.com/a-goddamned-dinosaur-threw-out-the-first-pitch-at-the-p-1573135172?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Vertigo

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 07, 2014, 11:16:20 PM
Snouts look like those of the fabled fish-eaters, but what story do the teeth tell? I hear tyrannosaurid and I instinctively think of thick bone crushers.

They're apparently longer and narrower than usual.

Quote from: judge death on May 06, 2014, 03:36:48 PMThylacoleo "marsupial lion" who lived too not long ago and the info I´ve managed to find so far is that they are one of the most specially adapted mammal predators to live but not much info why? So need your help to learn more about this animal to start with. :)

Well, after a skim of good old Wikipedia, it looks like they were adapted for tackling large kangaroos, like the 230kg Procoptodon, and other giant marsupials (such as Thylacoleo's herbivorous relative, 2-and-a-half-ton Diprotodon).
Kangaroos can take care of themselves pretty well in a fight, and can bound at speed for enormous distances, so they present some unusual challenges for a predator. And, obviously, so does prey weighing twenty times that of the predator.
Thylacoleo had hands designed a little like ours, for grasping (albeit tipped with gigantic claws). Long, powerful limbs for wrestling, and the ability to rear up stably on its hind legs to free its entire upper-body for prey capture. Also very strong jaws designed for crippling extremely large prey.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on May 08, 2014, 07:42:07 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 07, 2014, 11:16:20 PM

They're apparently longer and narrower than usual.

Fish-eating tyrannosaurids...who thought the day would come, eh? I love this guy's nickname too: Pinocchio Rex, lol.

DoomRulz

I just finished a piece on Phil Currie in Reader's Digest and would you believe this? The man is having his own museum opened up in Alberta opened up!! It's being named the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum and will be located in Grand Prairie, Alberta. It opens this December. He deserves it. The man is a genius and was one of my idols growing up.

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 15, 2014, 02:24:24 PM
I just finished a piece on Phil Currie in Reader's Digest and would you believe this? The man is having his own museum opened up in Alberta opened up!! It's being named the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum and will be located in Grand Prairie, Alberta. It opens this December. He deserves it. The man is a genius and was one of my idols growing up.
Ask him to buy out that dumbass Ken Ham's spot in Kentucky.

Vertigo

Currie's great. I think Sam Neill's version of Alan Grant is a lot closer to him than to Jack Horner.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed