Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 282,824 times)

DoomRulz

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 10, 2013, 08:39:35 PM
This thread made me curious, so I looked up Primeval and Terra Nova.

So far, enjoying Primeval much more, since it seems more eager to throw around it's dinosaur knowledge by throwing around lesser known species, where as so far Terra Nova is just trying to emulate the feel of Jurassic Park.

That's because Terra Nova isn't about the dinosaurs or the other creatures in the show. It's about humanity's efforts to rebuild themselves.

DC

QuoteAh , straight into evolution...

Not long now till its a bird.

Well dinosaurs are more closely related to modern day birds than they are reptiles.

DoomRulz

Get a load of this dinosaur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinker
Yup, its name is Drinker.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: ディロフォサウルス on Sep 11, 2013, 09:00:52 AM
Quote from: DC on Sep 11, 2013, 04:47:41 AM
Velociraptor

http://www.shindigz.com/images/itm_img/11SZSUPVEL.jpg

Ah , straight into evolution...

Not long now till its a bird.

There's actually a theory that dromaeosaurids like Velociraptor are descended from early birds like Archaeopteryx, or the gliders that preceded them.

:edit: That's a bad picture though. Still looks too reptiley, and they couldn't hold their hands that way - they were angled sideways and slightly backwards.
Here's something more accurate, though of larger relative Deinonychus.

Just so we're all clear, though the exact evolutionary link is still debated, birds are dinosaurs. They're a part of Coelurosauria, which also includes Velociraptor, Troodon, Oviraptor, Alvarezsaurus, Therizinosaurus, Ornitholestes, Gallimimus, Compsognathus, Tyrannosaurus and their closest relatives.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

If you follow cladistics, birds are nothing more than feathered reptiles... :)

Requiem28

Quote from: Gilfryd on Sep 09, 2013, 04:02:40 AM
Quote from: Vertigo on Sep 08, 2013, 12:18:22 PM
Thought I'd share a piece of work from one of my favourite palaeoartists, John Conway (coincidence that he's three surname letters away from John Connor? I think not). This is Giraffatitan, the larger version of Brachiosaurus, enjoying a muddy rub-down.
I love seeing mundane behaviour represented in palaeoart - predation is ridiculously overdone, and usually portrayed very badly even by great artists and animators.

(To clarify: We don't know Giraffatitan had any form of headcrest, or any particularly vast swathe of neckwattle, but they're certainly very possible. Stranger ornamentation has been discovered on sauropods.)

Further genius here and here.

Good stuff.

Anyone know the best sites for up to date or accurate as possible dinosaur art?

Interesting, but how can those tiny legs possibly suppory that massive body?

DC

That is possibly the funniest looking animal I have ever seen.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Requiem28 on Sep 11, 2013, 05:07:21 PM
Quote from: Gilfryd on Sep 09, 2013, 04:02:40 AM
Quote from: Vertigo on Sep 08, 2013, 12:18:22 PM
Thought I'd share a piece of work from one of my favourite palaeoartists, John Conway (coincidence that he's three surname letters away from John Connor? I think not). This is Giraffatitan, the larger version of Brachiosaurus, enjoying a muddy rub-down.
I love seeing mundane behaviour represented in palaeoart - predation is ridiculously overdone, and usually portrayed very badly even by great artists and animators.

(To clarify: We don't know Giraffatitan had any form of headcrest, or any particularly vast swathe of neckwattle, but they're certainly very possible. Stranger ornamentation has been discovered on sauropods.)

Further genius here and here.

Good stuff.

Anyone know the best sites for up to date or accurate as possible dinosaur art?

Interesting, but how can those tiny legs possibly suppory that massive body?

The way they're sitting suggests their legs collapsed :P

jeffchow

it was the triceratops til last week  thanks science you prick or is it paleontology who ever it was f**k you

DJ Pu$$yface

Quote from: ディロフォサウルス on Sep 08, 2013, 02:38:11 PM
Spinosaurus.

What a beast , one of the very little Dinos which could actually stand up against a T-Rex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fyar4wJ3-Y#

And on that note, nothing trumps the almighty Tyrannosaurs Rex for me.

Thank you Clive Palmer.

Sabby

I believe there's a video in the thread of a Spinosaurus pretty easily wrecking a T-Rexs shit.

DoomRulz

If you're referring to that abomination of a fight from JP 3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fyar4wJ3-Y#

Sabby

Nah, it was a documentary. I'm not going to seriously point to a movie where a raptor breaks someones neck as a source :P

DoomRulz

Then it was something else. The only other fight video I've seen of Spinosaurus was from Planet Dinosaur when it went toe-to-toe with a Carcharodontosaurus.

Sabby

Sabby

Bah, your right D= I was mistaken.

AWWW yeah. Terra Nova has just improved significantly.

Spoiler
My boy Spinosaurus has joined the cast!
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed