Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,238 times)

Sabby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv6hEuODrLg#ws

My boy can punch yours in the face. Punch it. In the face. How many dinosaurs could punch anything at all? This one can. It can punch you. It can punch you right in the face.

And it can look damn sexy while it's punching you in the face :3

King Rathalos

If we want to talk punching dinosaurs I'd include Brachydios from Monster Hunter.

But it's not a real dinosaur. :P

Spoiler
:'(
[close]

Sabby

Quote from: King Rathalos on Aug 31, 2013, 02:11:30 PM

This is a real dinosaur :3 And it can punch you. It can punch you in the face.

Actually, I'd like to take back my answer. I've looked and looked but I can't find the name of this dinosaur anywhere. The only time I ever heard about it was on a documentary, and I can't remember the name.

It was a small raptor that hunted small mammals in overgrown wooded/swampy areas, where larger dinosaurs couldn't go. It had large, forward facing eyes that allowed it to judge depth, a gigantic brain (for it's size) and hands with thumbs. In other words, it was the ape of the reptiles. If that comet hadn't wiped the slate clean, we'd be tracing our lineage back to it.

viendammage

My favorite dinosaur growing up was Stegosaurus!

King Rathalos

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 02:20:32 AM
Quote from: King Rathalos on Aug 31, 2013, 02:11:30 PM

This is a real dinosaur :3 And it can punch you. It can punch you in the face.

I think you may have misread my post.

You posted the clip mentioning Spinosaurus can punch, so I responded by mentioning Brachydios from Monster Hunter since it's basically a dinosaur that punches shit.

Since it's from a video game it's why I said it wasn't real. :P

Unless I misread your response and now I'm feeling like a moron.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: King Rathalos on Sep 01, 2013, 04:34:46 AM
Unless I misread your response and now I'm feeling like a moron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33fp05Mgg8#

Awww yeah, Quantumsaurus Rex!

I found it! It's Troodon.

Vertigo

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 02:20:32 AMActually, I'd like to take back my answer. I've looked and looked but I can't find the name of this dinosaur anywhere. The only time I ever heard about it was on a documentary, and I can't remember the name.

It was a small raptor that hunted small mammals in overgrown wooded/swampy areas, where larger dinosaurs couldn't go. It had large, forward facing eyes that allowed it to judge depth, a gigantic brain (for it's size) and hands with thumbs. In other words, it was the ape of the reptiles. If that comet hadn't wiped the slate clean, we'd be tracing our lineage back to it.

Sounds like you're talking about Bambiraptor.

The large brain relative-to-body-size doesn't necessarily mean it was smarter than other dinosaurs though. Dinosaur brains changed a great deal over time, regulating their increasingly heightened metabolisms and co-ordination; theropods from the avian side of the tree developed bird-like brains which could handle the complexities of flight. Other dinosaur brains are very reptile-like. Bambiraptor's closely related to birds, and consequently has a brain that's very different to the great majority of other dinosaurs.
None of this has to mean an increase in intelligence - crocodiles are surprisingly smart animals, able to solve puzzles, respond to communicative stimuli and have good memories, yet their brains are relatively tiny compared to those of birds. It's worth bearing in mind that every predatory dinosaur has a larger brain relative-to-body-size than a crocodile.

Sabby

I actually did find the documentary I was thinking about, Paleoworld, and I'm saddened to find out it's most likely inaccurate D= It was called Troodon (troo-ah-don), and Paleoworld claimed it was reptilian, when more recent data suggests it was more avian in biology. It also went on to make a lot of assertions about the 'Dinosauroid' that it would eventually evolve into without actually going into any details about the hows and whys.

Basically described 'it's a people but is lizard, naturally'.

Vertigo

Oh dear, the notorious Dinosauroid. That model darkened pretty much every piece of dinosaur literature in the early-to-mid '90s.

Troodon was an exceptional animal, though. Does indeed have one of the very largest brains-for-body-size known among dinosaurs (though, again, it's closely related to birds), and it was unusual among dinosaurs as it was adapted for a nocturnal lifestyle. Superb nightvision, and in northern regions with long periods of darkness, they grew a bit larger and became the dominant predator.

Dovahkiin

Tyrannosaurus Rex. All day every day.

Hail to the king, baby.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

mfw Vertigo in this thread

Nightmare Asylum

Greedo

DoomRulz

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 02:04:08 PM
I actually did find the documentary I was thinking about, Paleoworld, and I'm saddened to find out it's most likely inaccurate D= It was called Troodon (troo-ah-don), and Paleoworld claimed it was reptilian, when more recent data suggests it was more avian in biology. It also went on to make a lot of assertions about the 'Dinosauroid' that it would eventually evolve into without actually going into any details about the hows and whys.

Basically described 'it's a people but is lizard, naturally'.

You have to consider it in context. PaleoWorld was a product of 1990s paleontology. It's inaccurate by today's standards but it's still worth watching if only for nostalgic purposes.

Vertigo

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed