Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,250 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Keras, I merged your topic with mine. We like to avoid double threads is all :)

Sol

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Aug 23, 2013, 02:56:58 PM
Velociraptor!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/Vraptor-scale.png/220px-Vraptor-scale.png

...f**k you science.

lol yea, he was my favorite prior to me learning it's actual size, thus why I chose the one I did.

ChrisPachi

I guess Deinonychus just didn't have the same ring to it. :)

Bat Chain Puller

Tyrannosaurs by way of his glorification as the (once perceived) largest predator to ever walk the earth. Books, television, and film had him on everyone's mind as this unstoppable titan of terror. Larger than life ... like Godzilla.

Sad to think we've probably only discovered a mere fraction of the different dinosaur species that ever existed. Would be nice to have a complete catalog to properly judge a favorite.

It would be like another species of intelligent animal digging up our remains in 65 million years and only finding under a 1000 different species out of the million or so that exist in our current sliver or time ... not the 200+million year window we have to look for dinosaur bones.

DoomRulz

It's also possible that some of the discovered species are in fact, younger or older fossil variants of dinosaurs we already know. Jack Horner is a believer of that.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Or they could be different.

Many animal species are differentiated by literally minimal details.

TheMonolith

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Aug 23, 2013, 03:58:28 PM
I guess Deinonychus just didn't have the same ring to it. :)
You kidding?
Velociraptor means "Swift Plunderer"
Deinonychus means "Terrible Claw"
Option B sounds awesome. I wish JP just called them Deinonychus (since that is totally what they are) and killed all the confusion.

Eva

SizzyBubbles! :D

SiL

Quote from: TheMonolith on Aug 23, 2013, 07:42:20 PM
I wish JP just called them Deinonychus (since that is totally what they are) and killed all the confusion.
They're too big even for that. They're closer to Utahraptors or Achillobators.

My favourite dinosaur is, and always will be, Velociraptor, regardless of his actual size. What he lacks in imposing bulk he more than made up for in leaving the bitchingest damn skeleton ever.

Space Sweeper

To give a less typical choice than T-rex (which it would be, otherwise), Yangchuanosaurus.

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Aug 24, 2013, 12:25:39 AM
To give a less typical choice than T-rex (which it would be, otherwise), Yangchuanosaurus.

Cool. Inspired by this line of thinking I'd say I am also very partial to Albertosaurus.

underbound

My favorite is yourmom-asaurus. Just kidding
My fav is probably the utahraptor or spinosaurus. Who heard the thing where the T-rex is actually a scavenger and not much for hunting?

nostalgicalgorithms

Some scientists have been saying that for years. Considering the size of a T-rex it would not have been a great hunter and tangling with other dinosaurs even herbivores of equal size could result in a severe injury. I watched a neat CGI show about it once, basically a small group of carnivores like a T-rex would follow their prey closely. They would try to scare them so one would break its leg, or simply go after the weakest one in the heard. If you ever fell behind within the heard you were dead.

I have no doubt a large pack of raptors if they wanted to could take down a T-rex. It was a big, mean, but slow creature and not the ultimate bad ass as we would expect.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Suchomimus motherf**kers

TheMonolith

Quote from: SiL on Aug 24, 2013, 12:11:43 AM
Quote from: TheMonolith on Aug 23, 2013, 07:42:20 PM
I wish JP just called them Deinonychus (since that is totally what they are) and killed all the confusion.
They're too big even for that. They're closer to Utahraptors or Achillobators.

Funny. All the materials I looked at had them be about the same size.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed