Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 282,608 times)

Dromaeosaur25

Quote from: Ghost Rider on Mar 08, 2011, 06:26:29 PM
Quote from: Dromaeosaur25 on Mar 08, 2011, 06:24:55 PM
Yikes, sorry I haven't posted in a while despite this thread being dug up for me... Insane schedule I tell ya.
Anyway, I don't really put that much faith into Jack Horner's theories. Also, he was one of the most adamant that T. rex was a scavenger, wasn't he? I find it much more plausible that T. rex was like a lion, a hunter that simply scavenged when the opportunity presented itself. And yeah, I'm not so sure about the Torosaurus/Triceratops theory either...

I agree with you on that part 100%.

And get this: one of Jack Horner's biggest arguments supporting the theory that T. rex was a scavenger was that its arms were too small to be useful for hunting. Robert T. Bakker then argued that it didn't have much need for its arms when it already had those massive jaws, lol.

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Dromaeosaur25 on Mar 08, 2011, 06:31:37 PM
Yikes, sorry I haven't posted in a while despite this thread being dug up for me... Insane schedule I tell ya.
Anyway, I don't really put that much faith into Jack Horner's theories. Also, he was one of the most adamant that T. rex was a scavenger, wasn't he? I find it much more plausible that T. rex was like a lion, a hunter that simply scavenged when the opportunity presented itself. And yeah, I'm not so sure about the Torosaurus/Triceratops theory either...

And get this: one of Jack Horner's biggest arguments supporting the theory that T. rex was a scavenger was that its arms were too small to be useful for hunting. Robert T. Bakker then argued that it didn't have much need for its arms when it already had those massive jaws, lol.

True, though one has to wonder about those tiny arms.

Dromaeosaur25

Quote from: Ghost Rider on Mar 08, 2011, 06:32:37 PM

Yeah, though I hear that despite being so small, they were pretty heavily muscled. I imagine it just used them to get back up after laying down.

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Dromaeosaur25 on Mar 08, 2011, 06:37:09 PM
Quote from: Ghost Rider on Mar 08, 2011, 06:32:37 PM

Yeah, though I hear that despite being so small, they were pretty heavily muscled. I imagine it just used them to get back up after laying down.

I'm not so sure.

DoomRulz

It's been proven that T.Rex was an active hunter. Yes, proven. Triceratops' frill was once discovered with a ridge on top of it, which was caused by T.Rex teeth. The interesting thing was that the wound had eventually healed, meaning the animal was attacked while it was alive. Sounds like a hunter to me.

Not saying Rexy wasn't a scavenger as well. Any top carnivore does both; lions do.

Sharp Sticks

Of course. If it's there, eat it.

Effectz

Effectz

Scientists used cat scans to create a cast of the T-Rex brain cavity

Most convincing of all to many scientists, analysis of Tyrannosaurus Rex skulls shows the presence of unusually large olfactory lobes, which would have been ideal for catching the scent of rotting carcasses from miles away.Its olfactory lobes are half the size of its entire brain.

It also had really small beady eyes but this does not mean it had bad vision.Its snout was sharply pinched to clear its field of vision. Its eyes faced forward to provide some overlap between visual fields from the right and left eyes, permitting stereoscopic vision.

I agree that it did hunt if the oportunity presented itself,but from the evidence,it used its amazing sense of smell alot

Requiem28

Ghost Rider

DoomRulz

Quote from: Effectz on Mar 09, 2011, 10:04:01 AM
Scientists used cat scans to create a cast of the T-Rex brain cavity

Most convincing of all to many scientists, analysis of Tyrannosaurus Rex skulls shows the presence of unusually large olfactory lobes, which would have been ideal for catching the scent of rotting carcasses from miles away.Its olfactory lobes are half the size of its entire brain.

It also had really small beady eyes but this does not mean it had bad vision.Its snout was sharply pinched to clear its field of vision. Its eyes faced forward to provide some overlap between visual fields from the right and left eyes, permitting stereoscopic vision.

I agree that it did hunt if the oportunity presented itself,but from the evidence,it used its amazing sense of smell alot

That's the only real ammo the scavenger theorists seem to have and frankly, its bullocks. A large olfactory lobe could also help sniff out live animals. Not like its tuned to only seek out rotting corpses.

Effectz

Effectz

Quote from: Ghost Rider on Mar 09, 2011, 11:20:03 PM
Quote from: Requiem28 on Mar 09, 2011, 10:13:50 PM

Case Closed.

Says the movie that made the velociraptor which is 3 foot tall into a 6 foot killing machine and the part where the t rex is standing right at grant and the 2 children sniffing them,but it obviously cant sense their smell because their standing still,awesome.Oh and lets not forget the Dilophosaurs it spits flem balls and has head flaps.

DoomRulz

It's a movie. Hardly an example of paleontological accuracy.

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Effectz on Mar 10, 2011, 10:24:31 AM

Case Closed.

Says the movie that made the velociraptor which is 3 foot tall into a 6 foot killing machine and the part where the t rex is standing right at grant and the 2 children sniffing them,but it obviously cant sense their smell because their standing still,awesome.Oh and lets not forget the Dilophosaurs it spits flem balls and has head flaps.

Apparently jokes are now extinct. :-\

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Effectz on Mar 10, 2011, 10:24:31 AM

Case Closed.

Says the movie that made the velociraptor which is 3 foot tall into a 6 foot killing machine and the part where the t rex is standing right at grant and the 2 children sniffing them,but it obviously cant sense their smell because their standing still, awesome.

what was it gonna do? snort them up? she knew they were there, located them within inches. what's your point.

Salt The Fries

Sorry, new to the party:

a pterodactyl and a triceratops.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed