[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (20.1%)
I do not like the new face design
73 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
46 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 129,690 times)

Kradan

Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 03, 2022, 05:02:53 AM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 26, 2022, 09:34:21 PMGetting back on thread, I know they've been posted before but I wish they'd used the LEDs in the mask at least once in the movie, it's a nice touch.

http://www.instagram.com/p/Ci5m7xlvyu5/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
They used it briefly. The LEDs can be seen through the blood right after he killed the bear.

Well, damn, I guess I need to watch that scene again

RidgeTop

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 03, 2022, 05:12:23 AM
Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 03, 2022, 05:02:53 AM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 26, 2022, 09:34:21 PMGetting back on thread, I know they've been posted before but I wish they'd used the LEDs in the mask at least once in the movie, it's a nice touch.

http://www.instagram.com/p/Ci5m7xlvyu5/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
They used it briefly. The LEDs can be seen through the blood right after he killed the bear.

Well, damn, I guess I need to watch that scene again

Looking at that now, I believe that's just the orange glow of the hex-grid cloak on the fritz. You can see the pattern, and it doesn't match the placement of the red LEDs in the behind the scenes pics. The light trails are over Feral's body under the blood as well.

SiL

SiL

Yeah I thought that was the cloak struggling.

PAS Spinelli

Discuss

Kradan

Kradan

Practical gets thumbs up from me. My main problem with CGI version is that artificial-as-f**k looking shine they added to it

BlueMarsalis79

I much prefer the practical one, the eyes in particular.

SiL

SiL

I don't know, I feel there's an interesting discussion to be had about how CGI has so empowered filmmakers to make everything look like how they want it that they lose sight of the forest for the trees and waste significant time and money on shit that ultimately hurts the end product.

Like sure, the CGI model has more "realistic" shading and refraction and etc. etc. for skin than latex does. And yeah, we get to see all the little motions and muscle twitches that a rubber animatronic just can't quite nail. But does any of that add anything meaningful to the final image? No.

TC

TC

To me, the practical latex version doesn't look more realistic than the CG one. (Although I'm only looking at them on my crappy phone.) And I actually prefer the sweaty shine they put on the CG skin over the dry, matte, dusty look of the latex. There's a reason why, for years, monsters relied on slathering gobs of KY-jelley to the latex skin to disguise the dry rubber look. Everything from Alien to The Thing, American Werewolf in London, and virtually every other monster from the 80s an 90s. They could have gone for silicon which has a more flesh-like realism but presumably the fragility of that material was a no-go for the rigours of location shooting out in the woods and the demands of physical action and stunts.

But really, the main reason for choosing the CG option is budgetary. It means you can push the art and craft effort into post. Doing it practically means committing budget and resources up-front. Leaving it to post means you get to review what's been shot and only allocate resources according to what remains in your schedule and funds. And you get start with the 'Must Do' shots and work your way to the 'Would Be Nice To Improve If We Still Have Money And Time' shots.

TC

SiL

SiL

So slap some KY on Feral on location and get that glossy sheen.

Wolf used silicone skin and it 100% did not help him look more realistic unfortunately.

QuoteLeaving it to post means you get to review what's been shot and only allocate resources according to what remains in your schedule and funds
Normally, yes -- but they had a fully functioning animatronic on-set that they digitally repainted. That's just double-handling and fairly wasteful spending. And from the looks of it that was planned, not a "oh woops, it looks bad, better fix it" revelation.

EDIT

Actually, no, it's not really true. You usually allocate the funds to the post-production at the outset. At the beginning of production you break down the script, establish your effects shots, and even prioritise them according to your budget. If you're getting to post production and saying "OK, how much do we have left to spend on putting the monster in our monster movie?", you've done something horribly wrong.

BlueMarsalis79

I believe Studio ADI (AVPG interview I think, although I am not completely certain) spoke about the K-Y Jelly drying so fast it made things arduous, and look at the mandibles and the hand replacement shot, some of it is obviously influenced by a "this does not look that great" reaction assuredly.

They simply did not have the time to get the digital up to par in terms of believability and consistency, something Dan Trachtenberg outright admitted in the AVPG interview that the face needed more work but they had no more time for further refinement.

SiL

SiL

Surely if you're going to replace the face digitally and know it's probably the most important thing you maybe let go of things like "I really need these calf muscles to twitch".

Swings back to:

QuoteCGI has so empowered filmmakers to make everything look like how they want it that they lose sight of the forest for the trees and waste significant time and money

I'll need to listen to all the interviews.

TC

TC

Some clarification: When I said, "To me, the practical latex version doesn't look more realistic than the CG one," I wasn't talking about the Predator's depiction throughout the entire movie, I was just referring to the two before and after photos shown in the earlier post.

TC

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Oct 20, 2022, 03:57:53 PMhttps://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1006567474596155402/1032683537050128384/SPOILER_unknown.png?width=847&height=676Discuss
Think they did something to the facial structure in the cg version. Can't quite nail it yet- something about the orientation of the eye sockets

SiL

SiL

I think they narrowed them and brought the mandibles in closer to the jaw, slimming  the whole face.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed