No clear shot of Feral Predator unmasked face in the movie.

Started by frasermaxx, Aug 19, 2022, 06:00:47 AM

Author
No clear shot of Feral Predator unmasked face in the movie. (Read 4,180 times)

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

Me, whenever I log into the forum:

I know Alec and Michael Vincent have posted about their thought process with designing the look Feral Predator... like favoring a larger stronger jaw. 

There are some good still shots from the final battle, but they are dark. Other than that we got the bts pics/videos and the famous turn-around shot when he gets his bio whacked off.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 06, 2022, 09:10:22 AMPeople who are "Hur hur Preds hunt for autism now" make me cringe so hard

To be completely fair there it was The Predator itself that made that allusion, along with a dozen other really stupid "creative" choices which make the film nigh unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. Doubly frustrating given all the potential The Predator had. There might be something to that, but I don't think its ever been put quite into the X-men-esque terms that The Predator did. It reminded me of Doom with its "extra chromosome super powers" idea. Whether the idea is offensive or not aside, its just poor writing at the end of the day.

Within the context of the film the Feral Predator is really growing on me. The face design is not that great, but it looks far more convincing to me than Scar, Wolf, or Mr. Black ever did. What can I say? SWS and Stan The Man knew how to make this stuff look really good. One of the reasons for this might actually be one that was alluded to earlier in the thread... Technology has gotten "better." Smaller, more efficient servos, new materials to caste out of. Some of this likely plays a part in why the faces end up not looking "good." It's always bothered me that both ADI and KNB couldn't seem to get the mandibles on the classic-leaning designs to close properly. ADI has always seemed to struggle with the painted texture of the Predator's as well. Scar looked very flat and rubbery. Wolf was masked by shadow and rain, and Fugitive just looked big headed, goofy, and very flat. What really irks me is we know a lot of the sketches, and the original designers, are still around. They did that big reunion where they talked about making Jungle Hunter. There's no reason we can't get a proper OG Predator.

I want to be clear though, I'm not against the idea of having different Predator sub species. Maybe, unlike here on Earth, the other proto-Predator species continued to evolve and they all mingled together over tens of thousands of years. Maybe they all congregate into large homogenous populations in different climates. I'm not against any of that.

Feral actually reminds me, a bit, of one of the "Hish" drawings I saw a long time ago. Maybe he's a Hish?

bobcunk

The pre
Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 15, 2022, 04:39:33 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Sep 06, 2022, 09:10:22 AMPeople who are "Hur hur Preds hunt for autism now" make me cringe so hard

To be completely fair there it was The Predator itself that made that allusion, along with a dozen other really stupid "creative" choices which make the film nigh unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. Doubly frustrating given all the potential The Predator had. There might be something to that, but I don't think its ever been put quite into the X-men-esque terms that The Predator did. It reminded me of Doom with its "extra chromosome super powers" idea. Whether the idea is offensive or not aside, its just poor writing at the end of the day.

Within the context of the film the Feral Predator is really growing on me. The face design is not that great, but it looks far more convincing to me than Scar, Wolf, or Mr. Black ever did. What can I say? SWS and Stan The Man knew how to make this stuff look really good. One of the reasons for this might actually be one that was alluded to earlier in the thread... Technology has gotten "better." Smaller, more efficient servos, new materials to caste out of. Some of this likely plays a part in why the faces end up not looking "good." It's always bothered me that both ADI and KNB couldn't seem to get the mandibles on the classic-leaning designs to close properly. ADI has always seemed to struggle with the painted texture of the Predator's as well. Scar looked very flat and rubbery. Wolf was masked by shadow and rain, and Fugitive just looked big headed, goofy, and very flat. What really irks me is we know a lot of the sketches, and the original designers, are still around. They did that big reunion where they talked about making Jungle Hunter. There's no reason we can't get a proper OG Predator.

I want to be clear though, I'm not against the idea of having different Predator sub species. Maybe, unlike here on Earth, the other proto-Predator species continued to evolve and they all mingled together over tens of thousands of years. Maybe they all congregate into large homogenous populations in different climates. I'm not against any of that.

Feral actually reminds me, a bit, of one of the "Hish" drawings I saw a long time ago. Maybe he's a Hish?
with predator subspecies idea I dont see why they cant all be the same species, a pug and a great Dane are the same species I think a wolf is genetically the same same aswell. The difference between Jungle hunter and Feral is no more diffent then a 5' tall redheaded Irishman and some 7 foot tall african guy. But inthink they should keep them similar looking if there in there in same tribe or we get the son of one or something.

OpenMaw

Well, the differences between Feral and JH are far more than the differences in height/skin tone. The entire head structure is different. This remains true with the Supah Prettadahs.

Also lets not forget that a lot of the dog subspecies that exist today, exist specifically because human beings mingled different breeds on purpose. We made them, effectively.

I don't know. I'm a sucker for the idea of Predator Cromagnan, Predator Neanderthal, Predator Modern all just being different species on the same rough branch that mingle and share some culture. Just as background fluff.

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

I really like the idea of having a different looking predator from both a a creative perspective (as an artist myself) and from a make it stand out from other films perspective. Pretty tired of the studio mandated or director mandated original predator copies. It's cool to think that there are different 'species' with district features and hunting preferences.

As an realistic example... since lizards are may jam... The iguana family is incredibly diverse...

Click on cut to see some iguanid diversity!
Spoiler
Northern Desert Iguana

Fiji Banded Iguana

Rhino Iguana

Bahamian Rock Iguana

Marine Iguana

[close]

Anyway, kinda cool to see none the less.

Immortan Jonesy

Donkeys and horses can mate to produce mules. I wonder if Feral-like Preds can do the same thing with JH-like Preds. Or maybe Feral is already that 🤔

OpenMaw

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 16, 2022, 10:30:39 PMDonkeys and horses can mate to produce mules. I wonder if Feral-like Preds can do the same thing with JH-like Preds. Or maybe Feral is already that 🤔

Feral came from a super and a regular maybe? I can see some of both in it.

bobcunk

Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 16, 2022, 10:11:39 PMWell, the differences between Feral and JH are far more than the differences in height/skin tone. The entire head structure is different. This remains true with the Supah Prettadahs.

Also lets not forget that a lot of the dog subspecies that exist today, exist specifically because human beings mingled different breeds on purpose. We made them, effectively.

I don't know. I'm a sucker for the idea of Predator Cromagnan, Predator Neanderthal, Predator Modern all just being different species on the same rough branch that mingle and share some culture. Just as background fluff.
we created the dogs we have today but it's possible under the right conditions some could have naturally evolved that way since there was no genetic modification or anything. Its possible that the predators look that way through selective breeding. They aren't completely differnt, they have the same number of limbs and eyes and though some are different in shape and tooth number they all have four mandibles. Just look at the differns between the Male and female in some fish species.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed