ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event

Started by CainsSon, Apr 27, 2016, 05:20:37 AM

Author
ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event (Read 39,769 times)

Ash 937

Neither Scott nor Bloomkamp have stellar records when it comes to WRITING films that find critical success in Hollywood.  Even though I'm excited that at the prospect of more Alien films (and another Blade Runner film too for that matter), I'm very weary of what it means when these two directors attempt to write something new for a film they want to make.

Ridley Scott is not the writer that James Cameron is and his two most successful Sci-Fi films were great largely in part to his ability to adapt the stories he was given by other people.  From a writers perspective Prometheus is a lazy film and the same general format that brought it to the screen is being utilized for Alien Covenant.  That doesn't really get me too excited for it.

And Bloomkamp hasn't written a critically acclaimed Sci-Fi film since 2009's District 9.  His last few films have had plenty of interesting ideas in them that just haven't translated well to the screen under his direction.

I really wish people would spend as much time over-emphasizing the caliber of good writers that are attached to films instead of just looking at the directors.  I think if we did that, we might get Hollywood to make more memorable sequels to our favorite franchises.

With that being said, I really do hope that Bloomkamp and Scott can catch "lightning in a bottle" and give us something better than what their track record suggests we'll get from them...because I don't want anymore mediocre Alien films.

SiL

Scott's not a writer, period.

CainsSon

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 29, 2016, 07:39:12 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Apr 28, 2016, 08:22:36 PMYou're not following what I said. I'm saying A3 did happen. That's why they have to clone ripley. How Hicks and Newt are alive or cloned is just up to the writer.

No, you're missing the point. How would cloning Ripley, Hicks and Newt conceivably help them in any way? The three of them don't known anything about the Alien the company doesn't already know by the end of Alien 3, so there's no Need for them to go to huge expense to bring them back to life. It would be utterly pointless and a forced excuse to get them in the film.

Not to mention the cloning Ripely thing was already done in Resurrection.

DUDE - They CLONE Ripley to harvest the Alien inside of her, for the same reason they do it in Alien Resurrection, only this was an earlier attempt by WY itself, and they are successful (Ripley is not a hybrid but still a clone) and the egg in A3 was on the ship and it impregnated Ripley. That's why they clone her. To get the Alien. Why they clone Newt and Hicks? I dunno? Maybe they don't? Maybe they were ALL impregnated and they do? I don't know. The point is simple and you're reading further into it than is necessary.
The idea is very simple: I'm just saying, why do we all assume in A:R that this is the first, or last time that anyone tries to clone Ripley to get the Alien? And Im saying, this could factor in here. You see? The rest of the details aren't the important part. I'm just saying BECAUSE of ALIEN 3 and the cloning in AR, it is possible to make a sequel anywhere in the timeline, from WENCE Ripley is impregnated, and still include RIPLEY in the plot.
If you want to include NEWT and HICKS then you just need to make sense out of how and if they were cloned as well - FOR INSTANCE: You can easily say THEY WERE ALL IMPREGNATED and CLONED to harvest the ALIENS. The BEGINNING OF ALIEN 3 IS VAGUE ENOUGH to exploit details from.

So what Im saying about that blank space - you are taking to heavily... Im not providing an answer, I'm just saying writing one is possible.

The two facts that I AM asking for you to see are this:

1. The beginning of ALIEN 3 is VAGUE. You can start a story that fills in details that allows for a reason to clone newt and hicks, or have them woken up and replaced, or whatever, because ALIEN 3 does not provide info about the Eggs on the Sulaco or how Ripley becomes impregnated. It's a relatively blank space that another film can explore.

2. If they cloned Ripley once in AR, to harvest the Alien inside of her, it is entirely conceivable that an attempt has been made before, BY THE COMPANY, to obtain the alien. You see?

So I'm saying that ALIEN 5 - could be a movie that adds 1 and 2 and makes this sort of bizarre, un-explored Mid-quel that runs parallel....

More so, I am saying that the cloning in AR allows for more stories with Ripley, and NOT just Ripley8. Which, frankly, surprises me that I had not thought of before.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Cainsson, have you seen my post a few pages back regarding why they would clone them?  I worked with your idea and extrapolated it further.  It makes sense why they clone everyone.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 02, 2016, 11:25:11 AM
Cainsson, have you seen my post a few pages back regarding why they would clone them?  I worked with your idea and extrapolated it further.  It makes sense why they clone everyone.

I did. And I think that it's a legit way to do it.
But I think more so, that there is a lot to consider about the Company's involvement in the background. So much so, given Prometheus and the 57 years after the Nostromo disappearing, that there was clearly some sort of cover up and I think if fans give that some thought, it seems rather silly now, to take anything at face value during a viewing of Aliens. There was more going on and the Company knew. Somebody did. Now we have COVENANT as well. So it's not really even exploiting to add to the story there because you have to assume something else is or was happening that isn't being addressed during Aliens.

To me, once Ripley shows up in the beginning of Aliens, it goes without saying that her information would have triggered some kind of response - more than Burke - by those IN THE KNOW.
So it is VERY easy to make sense out of the beginning of Alien 3.
Ive said it over and over again, regarding the beginning of Alien 3... The phantom egg.. To me, that just always meant that we didn't know something and I assumed we would find out in some other sequel.
I don't understand why everyone attacks the plots of the films as if they only have the information IN THE FILMS to work with. The whole idea of writing is to come up with new things that build on the old. So, I guess I'm saying, your idea with Bishop works, but it isn't even totally necessary, to come up with it because to me, you can just start a film, somewhere before Alien 3 and carry into the beginning of it so they run parallel. It doesn't need to use the same characters and events because there is clearly more happening we don't know about.
Maybe the company sent another ship before Burke, because they were like "Oh shit they found her..." or "Now we know what to do there because we know where that ship is" ... Another thing is, it's entirely possible the Company already has the Alien at the beginning of ALIENS. -You just need a reason to explain why they aren't revealing it.

To me: The idea that the company left the events alone after ALIEN, and PROMETHEUS, is far more absurd than extrapolating something like we are.
I do think that if they went a cloning route, in that timeline, it should be something WY is doing and not this sort of 'cloning is totally normal and it happens all the time, but we haven't mentioned it till now,' kinda thing.

In fact, if Ripley effectively destroys all their cloning research or whatever, it coould even add more weight to the fact that they operate outside regulated space in A:R.

stroggificated

Okay then.
See ya in 8-12 years, Sigourney.  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Ridley never meant after the prequel trilogy, only after Prometheus 2.

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 03, 2016, 08:12:29 AM
Ridley never meant after the prequel trilogy, only after Prometheus 2.

I'm hoping, that the strength of the dailies on COVENANT pushes BLOMKAMP's film from limbo into the design phase, during POST on COVENANT. That way when A:C is released, BLOMKAMPS film will be well into prep and gearing up for production.
They really need to strike sooner rather than later for that.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Sounds like Ridley is moving onto Blade Runner 2 after Alien: Covenant wraps shooting. No mention of Alienkamp which he is also supposed to produce.

Quote from: Jim MinnsOn Monday, I was lucky enough to meet one of the world's most iconic filmmakers - Sir Ridley Scott. I was blown away by how hands on he was. With thousands of workers employed for his latest film - Alien Covenant - He was just as interactive with the props dept' for the Android blood as he was for the gimbal on the spaceship.

He explained the cycle - that when he was in post-production on The Martian - he began pre-production for this. Once he'll be in post on this he'll be in pre-production for Blade Runner 2.
"I Love it" - He said.
You've got to admire the dedication - with all that he has achieved so far, yet he has made a concentrated effort not to stop.

Perfect-Organism

I hope Sigourney Weaver's recent tongue in cheek comments haven't put a damper on the Scott / Weaver relationship...

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 03, 2016, 09:20:16 PM
Sounds like Ridley is moving onto Blade Runner 2 after Alien: Covenant wraps shooting. No mention of Alienkamp which he is also supposed to produce.

Quote from: Jim MinnsOn Monday, I was lucky enough to meet one of the world's most iconic filmmakers - Sir Ridley Scott. I was blown away by how hands on he was. With thousands of workers employed for his latest film - Alien Covenant - He was just as interactive with the props dept' for the Android blood as he was for the gimbal on the spaceship.

He explained the cycle - that when he was in post-production on The Martian - he began pre-production for this. Once he'll be in post on this he'll be in pre-production for Blade Runner 2.
"I Love it" - He said.
You've got to admire the dedication - with all that he has achieved so far, yet he has made a concentrated effort not to stop.

He is also producing Brain Dead TV SERIES which is filming right now and during my time in the same building as a Feature I just wrapped on named Cortex and also another film in prep called Felt... Never saw the guy once. At his scale, you don't need to be present to produce, unfortunately. Also not that imdb is terribly reliable but he is lined up to produce Blade Runner AND Alien 5 in 2017... Its entirely possible.

David8

Did IQs drop off sharply when I was away?? Everything from Blomkamps fan fiction is great news ::)
This is the dying of a franchise everyone has been crying about since alien 3. But Alien 3 while not flawless as with Prometheus were fine entries. ALIEN3 wrapped it up in a nice dark bow, the death of useless characters like near and hicks was quite brave bold and great direction to go. Shoe horning  them long with Ripley in another movie because some people got their feelings hurt is a pathetic attempt Doing something fresh as I've heard some of you call it.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: David8 on May 04, 2016, 06:19:56 AM
Did IQs drop off sharply when I was away?? Everything from Blomkamps fan fiction is great news ::)
This is the dying of a franchise everyone has been crying about since alien 3. But Alien 3 while not flawless as with Prometheus were fine entries. ALIEN3 wrapped it up in a nice dark bow, the death of useless characters like near and hicks was quite brave bold and great direction to go. Shoe horning  them long with Ripley in another movie because some people got their feelings hurt is a pathetic attempt Doing something fresh as I've heard some of you call it.

I have to agree with this.  While I am fascinated with what Blomkamp might have planned, getting rid of two whole movies in a series is arrogance and disrespect at its height.  The AVP films can be treated as non-canonical fluff, but you don't dump the main parts of a series unless you have a really good reason to.

I personally would absolutely love to see another Aliens film, with Marines blowing up hundreds of Aliens and zingy one-liners and the like.  But why must it include the older characters?  Let's create some new characters for a new generation, and keep the franchise intact as a whole.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

You know, I freaking gave up. I'll practically take anything they come up with at this point.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on May 04, 2016, 08:06:39 AMBut why must it include the older characters?  Let's create some new characters for a new generation, and keep the franchise intact as a whole.
All I can think of is that without Weaver's star power behind the scenes; the movie would never get off of the ground. Aside from fanboyish reasons, that's the only logical reason I can think off. Unless they think the situation is so desperate that the only way to get non-serious fans into the seats is by drumming shit up. They'll sell it as the movie we should have got but didn't... nearly 30 f**king years too late guys.

Of course Alien:Covenant tells us otherwise. :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on May 04, 2016, 01:05:31 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 03, 2016, 09:20:16 PM

"I Love it" - He said.

He is also producing Brain Dead TV SERIES which is filming right now and during my time in the same building as a Feature I just wrapped on named Cortex and also another film in prep called Felt... Never saw the guy once. At his scale, you don't need to be present to produce, unfortunately. Also not that imdb is terribly reliable but he is lined up to produce Blade Runner AND Alien 5 in 2017... Its entirely possible.

He's probably planning to be more hands-on with Blade Runner 2 and Alienkamp than some random TV show. It's his legacy after all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed