Alien: Covenant Shooting March 2016 + Trilogy Details

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 27, 2015, 07:27:46 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Shooting March 2016 + Trilogy Details (Read 29,558 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 27, 2015, 04:21:55 PM
David's inclusion would mean you can't. His comes with a lot of baggage.

His head is certainly in the baggage!  :P

And another interesting new thing:

QuoteShooting will be a mix of location and studio shoots with location requiting "monumental forest and monumental rock and the rest will be in the studio with fairly formidable CGI.

So looks like Paradise will literally be a .... paradise? Wonder if they'll be shooting in the Gondwana rain-forests not far from Sydney? Certainly very impressive and monumental. It also served as inspiration for the CGI forests seen in Avatar IIRC.

Perfect-Organism

I once pointed out that this is basically turning out to be Scott's Avatar in terms of the number of films being made but it looks like there may be more literal overtones here...

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think this all sounds great. Scott and fantasy-scenery is certifiable. Plus he is coming off of The Martian, with what I'll bet will be much of the same creative team; the success of which will likely afford him a certain degree of carte-blanche, creatively speaking.

I was listening to one of the Podcasts recently and want to reiterate and agree with Corporal Hicks about something here:

I think (as much as I understand why people like practical effects) a practical-sets  heavy, Alien film with a Homeworld-setting, is a waste of a huge opportunity. I hope they utilize the Giger-landscapes and designs that FOX paid to own the rights to years ago, and use all this Green screen to scale all of that stuff way up, and they do NOT waste this opportunity! Who doesn't want to see a Giger-landscape heavy homeworld?! The promise of that has been in the back of fans minds for decades. The success of The Martian prolly affords Scott the opportunity budget-wise here. Fingers crossed that we get to see SOME of that at least.

I also really hope with all of these writers and with the official announcement of a complete Trilogy, that they are taking steps to develop where the next two films are headed, if not just outright mapping it out by giving it the full treatment.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2015, 05:28:45 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 27, 2015, 04:21:55 PM
David's inclusion would mean you can't. His comes with a lot of baggage.

His head is certainly in the baggage!  :P

And another interesting new thing:

QuoteShooting will be a mix of location and studio shoots with location requiting "monumental forest and monumental rock and the rest will be in the studio with fairly formidable CGI.

So looks like Paradise will literally be a .... paradise? Wonder if they'll be shooting in the Gondwana rain-forests not far from Sydney? Certainly very impressive and monumental. It also served as inspiration for the CGI forests seen in Avatar IIRC.

Sydney is ideally located for access various types of terrain.

Born Of Cold Light

While I'm disappointed that Shaw is being sidelined, I'm overall very excited.  It seems like Ridley more and more has a cohesive narrative and vision, which will make the story more focused than in Prometheus.

windebieste

There's no reason to believe that Shaw has been 'sidelined'.  Scott is the movie industry's Biggest Troll.  Hell, he's already had us believe this movie was called something else.  Twice.  Twice he's done that.

I'd be very surprised if Noomi doesn't reprise her role.   Why should Scott tell us anything about her in this movie?  I'd rather it be kept under wraps until release, anyway. 

It's like Mark Hamill's role in Star Wars VII.  You tell me what it will be.  We know he's in it and likely to be playing Luke again; but Abrams is holding those cards close to his chest.  Scott is doing something similar with Noomi, I'd say.

In this Age of Internet Leaks, film makers have to do so.  Otherwise audiences already know about movie's details months ahead of its release.  I'm happy for Scott to withhold such information. 

Actually, the more he does so, then it's for the better, I say.

-Windebieste.

T Dog

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 28, 2015, 03:29:06 AM
There's no reason to believe that Shaw has been 'sidelined'.  Scott is the movie industry's Biggest Troll.  Hell, he's already had us believe this movie was called something else.  Twice.  Twice he's done that.

I'd be very surprised if Noomi doesn't reprise her role.   Why should Scott tell us anything about her in this movie?  I'd rather it be kept under wraps until release, anyway. 

It's like Mark Hamill's role in Star Wars VII.  You tell me what it will be.  We know he's in it and likely to be playing Luke again; but Abrams is holding those cards close to his chest.  Scott is doing something similar with Noomi, I'd say.

In this Age of Internet Leaks, film makers have to do so.  Otherwise audiences already know about movie's details months ahead of its release.  I'm happy for Scott to withhold such information. 

Actually, the more he does so, then it's for the better, I say.

-Windebieste.
Well according to The Hollywood Reporter, Shaw will have a minor role. Ridley seems to just babble on and on at press conferences and in interviews without really caring about what he's giving up.

I'm guessing Shaw WILL have a minor role. It seems like they are trying to go against what didn't work in the first film and rectify it in Covenant. Hence them making it more Alien-y and reducing the role of silly Shaw while doubling up on their Fassbender.

Mustangjeff

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Nov 27, 2015, 12:38:41 PM
The down side of this is that if the numbers for Alien Covenant don't hold up to what they hope we may not get the other sequels  >:(  I hate when they plan ahead for a series/franchises outline only for them to give up when the results aren't enough!

This....

I would feel a lot better if they filmed all three movies concurrently.

It wouldn't be too difficult to ignore the events of Prometheus.

1) almost everyone is dead
2) no real answers were given to the biggest questions

All David would need to say.  "I was on a previous mission that discovered an outpost to this species.  Everyone died and I was damaged, but I was able to learn their technology and fly a ship here."

You got everything you need to know.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ridley Scott yesterday, inside one of the huge soundstages where Alien: Covenant will be filmed.

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Nov 28, 2015, 01:12:21 PM

All David would need to say.  "I was on a previous mission that discovered an outpost to this species.  Everyone died and I was damaged, but I was able to learn their technology and fly a ship here."

Yep, the less ties it has to Prometheus the better IMO. The casual movie-goer will be reluctant to watch it if they didn't see Prometheus and think they will get left behind with regards to the story. Those that did watch Prometheus will think it will just be more of the same - bad writing, unlikable dumbass characters, unresolved plot points etc.

T Dog

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Nov 28, 2015, 01:12:21 PM
Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Nov 27, 2015, 12:38:41 PM
The down side of this is that if the numbers for Alien Covenant don't hold up to what they hope we may not get the other sequels  >:(  I hate when they plan ahead for a series/franchises outline only for them to give up when the results aren't enough!

This....

I would feel a lot better if they filmed all three movies concurrently.

Haahha it is almost like a reboot in some ways.
Yeah if Ridley wants to do 3 sequels it most likely means we're going to get another half baked thin story.

windebieste

There's one thing I'm finding very interesting and standing out here that some people appear to either ignore or be unaware of.  This upcoming film is being labeled as the first part of a Trilogy of new 'ALIEN' films.  While it still has it's associations with 'Prometheus', without being completely divorced from it, it's largely removed from being solely a series of sequels to that movie.  Continuing to think of it as just a sequel to 'Prometheus' should almost be considered obsolete.   Especially when we know just about nothing regarding them.

I totally get that content from 'Prometheus' is the springboard for this upcoming series; but I am hoping that this new Trilogy will embrace the ambiance of Scott's 1979 movie more fully.  The  vibe I am getting here is that 'Prometheus' is relevant as a Prologue of sorts - but its not the focus of this Trilogy.   Scott has told us more about how these new films are intended to directly dovetail into 'ALIEN' as a precursor Trilogy and I'm finding he's placing more emphasis on that plot development than anything 'Prometheus' related.

After all, the first upcoming movie is called 'ALIEN: Covenant'.  No mention of 'Prometheus' in the title any longer.  We are getting a new 'ALIEN' Trilogy; not the final parts of a 'Prometheus' Quartet.  There is a difference.

Basically, it's too premature to make claims that these movies are 'half baked' solely on their association with the 2012 movie.  For a start, we might be best to stop thinking of it as a 'Prometheus' movie and be more receptive of the important moniker change it has been given and appreciate it as a new 'ALIEN' Trilogy where 'Prometheus' was the Prologue.

-Windebieste.

CainsSon

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 28, 2015, 11:45:52 PM
There's one thing I'm finding very interesting and standing out here that some people appear to either ignore or be unaware of.  This upcoming film is being labeled as the first part of a Trilogy of new 'ALIEN' films.  While it still has it's associations with 'Prometheus', without being completely divorced from it, it's largely removed from being solely a series of sequels to that movie.  Continuing to think of it as just a sequel to 'Prometheus' should almost be considered obsolete.   Especially when we know just about nothing regarding them.

I totally get that content from 'Prometheus' is the springboard for this upcoming series; but I am hoping that this new Trilogy will embrace the ambiance of Scott's 1979 movie more fully.  The  vibe I am getting here is that 'Prometheus' is relevant as a Prologue of sorts - but its not the focus of this Trilogy.   Scott has told us more about how these new films are intended to directly dovetail into 'ALIEN' as a precursor Trilogy and I'm finding he's placing more emphasis on that plot development than anything 'Prometheus' related.

After all, the first upcoming movie is called 'ALIEN: Covenant'.  No mention of 'Prometheus' in the title any longer.  We are getting a new 'ALIEN' Trilogy; not the final parts of a 'Prometheus' Quartet.  There is a difference.

Basically, it's too premature to make claims that these movies are 'half baked' solely on their association with the 2012 movie.  For a start, we might be best to stop thinking of it as a 'Prometheus' movie and be more receptive of the important moniker change it has been given and appreciate it as a new 'ALIEN' Trilogy where 'Prometheus' was the Prologue.

-Windebieste.

Whats strange is this sorta bookended thing with two trilogies, one with Prometheus as a bookend, and one with Resurrection.
Ive always wanted A:R to be the jumping off point for a series, which in this day in age, isn't an impossibility.

I think this new trilogy is going to be a lot grander, maybe. Like the story isn't just gonna be about stopping this creature from getting to Earth, but be expanded to have a much bigger story to tell IE; Engineers vrs Gods. Ridley seems to want to tell us what was going on ages ago with ancient alien races. But who knows... Have to wait and see!
I just hope they have enough sense to take the opp to do A5 after this, still.

Mustangjeff

Covenant doesn't need to go into a lot of detail regarding the Prometheus mission, but I would consider it a kick in the teeth to the people who supported Prometheus if the main questions remain unanswered.

Why did the Engineers create and cultivate human civilization?

Was the black goo bombing always part of the plan?  Or was it something that the Engineers decided later?

Born Of Cold Light

While it should be its own thing, separating itself completely from Prometheus makes little sense, especially if Fassbender is going to have a more central role.  People don't just fly around in giant horseshoes with robot heads for companions for no reason at all.

CainsSon

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Nov 29, 2015, 01:57:23 AM
While it should be its own thing, separating itself completely from Prometheus makes little sense, especially if Fassbender is going to have a more central role.  People don't just fly around in giant horseshoes with robot heads for companions for no reason at all.

Im taking all that with a grain of salt. To me, this is Fox saying, ALIEN needs to be in the title so fans know what this is and there is less confusion, and there needs to be a xeno. This all goes back to the press releases for Prometheus and how it was a prequel and then wasnt etc etc... What Scott is saying now, Im thinking is prolly just doing what the studio wants and this is still very much a Prometheus sequel.

T Dog

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 28, 2015, 11:45:52 PM

-Windebieste.

It's actually been labelled the 2nd part of prequel trilogy in the official synopsis from the studio. Scott is just talking his usual nonsense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed