Predators
29 (3.5%)
The Predator
3 (0.4%)
Prey
2 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 754

Author
Favourite Predator Movie? (Read 269,309 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 11, 2021, 11:12:18 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2021, 12:07:44 AM
It has a culmative effect for many.

1. Instead of an Earth jungle, this time it's an alien planet that just looks like an Earth jungle!

2. Instead of fast-roping this time and the heroes are picked off one by one they're dropped in the jungle and picked off one by one!

3. Instead of Blain holding a comical mini-gun that doesnt belong in a jungle, it was a Russian soldier holding a comical mini-gun that doesn't belong in the jungle!

4.This time it's Mombassa slow tension sensing someone watching them in the trees as Isabelle comes to talk to him, instead of Billy sensing someone in the trees and Dutch comes to talk to him.

5. This time the guy in the group with an alterior motive is not C.I.A Dillon, but a serial killer!

6. This time it's not the South/Cental American Anna explaining more about the Predator to the heroes, but it's the South/Cental American Isabelle explaining more about the Predator to the heroes.

7.This time instead of one hero falling off a cliff into a lake to escape the Predator, many heroes fall off a cliff into a lake to escape the Predators!

8. This time instead of an almost spiritual Native American that stops running with his group to confront the Predator, it's an almost spiritual Japan Native that stops running with his group to confront the Predator!

9. This time instead of Billy taking off his shirt branding a knife to confront the Predator, Hanzo takes of his shirt branding a sword! And we see the fight!

10.This time the shirtless hero doesn't cover his body at the end of the movie with mud, but the shirtless hero covers his body at the end of the movie with alien mud!

Come on, kill me!!!

And much of this is repeated to the same musical score selections and beats.

Again, I think for many it has a culmative effect.

Exactly this. That is why I genuinely prefer The Predator over Predators, I think it's way more memorable, engaging and daring. Too daring ? Most definitely, but hey, I'll take that over a too strong deja vu feeling.

Yeah no, The Predator is so terrible that it makes all the previous films look like gold.

At least Predators is a coherent and competently made film for ffs.  The Predator is just a mess that makes my eyes roll right out of my head within the first 15 minutes. It's what I like to call "garbage".

Kradan

Kradan

1. Instead of an Earth jungle, this time it's an alien planet that just looks like an Earth jungle!

2. Instead of fast-roping this time and the heroes are picked off one by one they're dropped in the jungle and picked off one by one!

3. Instead of Blain holding a comical mini-gun that doesnt belong in a jungle, it was a Russian soldier holding a comical mini-gun that doesn't belong in the jungle!

4.This time it's Mombassa slow tension sensing someone watching them in the trees as Isabelle comes to talk to him, instead of Billy sensing someone in the trees and Dutch comes to talk to him.

5. This time the guy in the group with an alterior motive is not C.I.A Dillon, but a serial killer!

6. This time it's not the South/Cental American Anna explaining more about the Predator to the heroes, but it's the South/Cental American Isabelle explaining more about the Predator to the heroes.

7.This time instead of one hero falling off a cliff into a lake to escape the Predator, many heroes fall off a cliff into a lake to escape the Predators!

8. This time instead of an almost spiritual Native American that stops running with his group to confront the Predator, it's an almost spiritual Japan Native that stops running with his group to confront the Predator!

9. This time instead of Billy taking off his shirt branding a knife to confront the Predator, Hanzo takes of his shirt branding a sword! And we see the fight!

10.This time the shirtless hero doesn't cover his body at the end of the movie with mud, but the shirtless hero covers his body at the end of the movie with alien mud!

Come on, kill me!!!

Exactly this. That is why I genuinely prefer The Predator over Predators, I think it's way more memorable, engaging and daring. Too daring ? Most definitely, but hey, I'll take that over a too strong deja vu feeling.

:-*

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 11, 2021, 12:44:00 PM

Come on, kill me!!!

Yeah no, The Predator is so terrible that it makes all the previous films look like gold.

At least Predators is a coherent and competently made film for ffs.  The Predator is just a mess that makes my eyes roll right out of my head within the first 15 minutes. It's what I like to call "garbage".

>:(

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 11, 2021, 12:44:00 PM

Come on, kill me!!!

Competently made I agree, from a directing standpoint. And more so than The Predator no doubt about it.

Coherent ?  :laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Not sure what's funny. It's hard to argue that The Predator is an in-coherent mess of a film.

Predators doesn't have that issue.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2021, 12:07:44 AMAnd much of this is repeated to the same musical score selections and beats.

As someone who we all know loves Predator 2 so much, the second film is far more guilty of recycling score in similar situations than Predators is.

Kradan

Kradan

Sick, sick burn

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 11, 2021, 03:11:08 PM
Not sure what's funny. It's hard to argue that The Predator is an in-coherent mess of a film.

Predators being less incoherent than The Predator doesn't make it a coherent movie. How it's incoherent has been pointed out many times on this forum, feel free to check it out.

And oh yes I find the Predators coherence subject funny.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 11, 2021, 12:23:01 AM
A team of commandos sent on a mission find themselves stalked and killed by an intergalactic big game hunter out for the thrill of the hunt.

A police squad investigating gang crime finds itself stalked and killed by an intergalactic big game hunter out for the thrill of the hunt.

A group of killers from around the world are kidnapped and dropped on a game reserve to be stalked and hunted by intergalactic big game hunters trying to genetically modify themselves into super hunters.

If you go by the plots, Predator 2 is closer to the original than Predators (there's even the shifty government agent guy who sacrifices themselves to give the hero time to escape!). But Predator 2 dresses its 'derivative' (for want of a better word) plot with its own unique elements, whereas Predators dresses  its unique plot with a patchwork of scenes from Predator.

It's a little disingenuous to say Predators is a straight rehash of the original, but it's definitely presented as a Greatest Hits compilation.

That's a fair assessment I think.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 11, 2021, 12:43:05 PM
QuoteAgain, I think for many it has a culmative effect.

Maybe, but the film isn't as full of repeated elements as you'd think from the way people talk about it being a remake. It's wholly incorrect to call it a remake or rehash. It simply isn't. There's far more unique elements to the film than there is repeated beats, and those repeats are more in the way of homage than anything significant plot-wise.

You'll never find me calling it a "remake".  I agree with you, it's not. But there's enough of this same criticism in professional critic reviews and audience reviews all beating the same drum, that one has to admit for some, that Predators should have strived for a little more individuality and its aping of Predator 87  went too far, versus it being a straight out invalid complaint I think. Again, I go to when there's smoke there's fire... :)

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 11, 2021, 03:22:09 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2021, 12:07:44 AMAnd much of this is repeated to the same musical score selections and beats.

As someone who we all know loves Predator 2 so much, the second film is far more guilty of recycling score in similar situations than Predators is.

If you feel that way, then why do think Predators gets this criticism repeatedly, where Predator 2 does not? I'm genuinely curious of your answer.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 11, 2021, 04:11:01 PM

Predators being less incoherent than The Predator doesn't make it a coherent movie. How it's incoherent has been pointed out many times on this forum, feel free to check it out.

What about Predators makes it an incoherent film? The scenes flow logically and I'm never confused as to what's going on and why.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 11, 2021, 05:20:01 PM

What about Predators makes it an incoherent film? The scenes flow logically and I'm never confused as to what's going on and why.

In that sense I agree, but numerous times it's incoherent regarding the franchise itself.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2021, 04:13:51 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 11, 2021, 03:22:09 PM

If you feel that way, then why do think Predators gets this criticism repeatedly, where Predator 2 does not? I'm genuinely curious of your answer.

Predator 2 has one specific problem that overshadows all other issues with the film

Spoiler
Arnold ain't in it so it SUX !!!
[close]

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2021, 04:13:51 PMIf you feel that way, then why do think Predators gets this criticism repeatedly, where Predator 2 does not? I'm genuinely curious of your answer.

I have no idea.

The reuse of music has never been an issue for me in either film. In fact I think it works in both.

But of the two, Predator 2 is definitely the more prolific with it.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 11, 2021, 05:50:45 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 11, 2021, 05:20:01 PM

In that sense I agree, but numerous times it's incoherent regarding the franchise itself.

Yeah I'm not speaking to the lore it adds to the franchise, which was vague but not really incoherent either IMO.

I was pretty disappointed with Predators overall and I share a lot of the criticisms that Voodoo has. But I don't see it as a remake at all myself, I think even just the jungle setting alone is enough to make the casuals think remake. But the film has grown on me over time and I think it's gold compared to The Predator. There are aspects I really love about it, like the characters (not including Roland). I love Adrien Brody in this film though, really comes off as a badass. For every thing that bothers me there is something really cool that I love. For every guy with a minigun there is a Brody with an automatic shotgun.

I also think everything after P2 has suffered because KPH and Stan Winston are f*cking irreplaceable. Do I love  Predator 2 more? Hells yes! But The Predator doesn't even come close to any of the previous films, it's just soo bad.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 11, 2021, 07:15:02 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2021, 04:13:51 PMIf you feel that way, then why do think Predators gets this criticism repeatedly, where Predator 2 does not? I'm genuinely curious of your answer.

I have no idea.

The reuse of music has never been an issue for me in either film. In fact I think it works in both.

But of the two, Predator 2 is definitely the more prolific with it.
I never got the complaints with Predators' soundtrack. Predator 2 lifts tracks wholesale from the original while building on it with unique themes and elements. It's actually why it's my favourite of the series' soundtracks -- it's everything that's good in the original, plus extra cool tracks.

Whereas Predators mostly does new renditions of the classic themes along with its own unique music and everyone says it's just a straight ripoff.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Alan Silvestri, Predators' Score just does not have the degree of depth or texture that Predator or Predator 2's carries, although I did like this part:

https://youtu.be/EiiWU7OvoEM

Particularly the first minute.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed