If Disney decides to go with a reboot, what would you like to see?

Started by Lizardboy, Jan 25, 2020, 10:16:05 PM

Author
If Disney decides to go with a reboot, what would you like to see? (Read 9,744 times)

acrediblesource

It would be interesting if we saw a multiverse thing where Amanda Ripley secretly comes with Ellen Ripley aboard the Nostromo and we  reboot the film with Amanda ready steady in the script at all times like she is apart of the crew and we see things take a different turn...

T Dog

I'd like to see a proper exploration of The Space Jockey/weirdness/Giger planet landscape on the movie end.

Then a Weyland Yutani tv show would be great. Full of corporate esponiage, 80's yuppie douche bags and a Machinko Noguchi inspired character who goes from cold corporate villain to hero.

TC

Quote from: seattle24 on Feb 02, 2020, 11:12:35 AM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 02, 2020, 02:20:25 AM
Up until now, I found myself always against depicting the fall of Hadley's Hope specifically, but that's an enticing idea.

Yeah, I'd like that in a TV series form.

Or a straight up Alien Isolation adaptation for big screen. Obviously change the narrative a little.
You are acknowledging that the storytelling is different between TV series and feature film, and you are right about this.

I would love to see a sprawling, multilayered TV or streaming series. These days, most of the best writing is appearing on that platform. But I fear Alien has been beaten to the punch by the likes.of The ExpanseGame of Thrones (even though non-scifi), is an indicator of the kind of complexity I think an Alien series should aspire to. The intrigue of corporate rivalry (and even open warfare), the lust for aquiring the alien, the dangers of genetic engineering, the mysterious origins of the Space Jockeys and their secret agenda... this is a long way from O'Bannon's original B-movie script but his was a contained 2 hour movie. The franchise has evolved since then and the scope is there - with the alien at its heart.

Quote from: Drukathi on Feb 02, 2020, 01:09:35 PM
1. Soft reboot (or even not reboot) that will work as a parallel story to original quadrilody (hexalogy).
2. Leave all original films alone. Do not try: explain them, tie them together or use any related characters.
3. Start with a clean sheet. Within a soft reboot or no reboot at all.
4. There may be references to some events of the original films, but they don't have any effect on the reboot story.
There's really only one thing I would love to retcon out of existence, and that is all the 'Chariots of the Gods' stuff in Prometheus.

TC

Jarac

I'm liking the idea of a post-A3/AR soft-reboot. New characters, now stories, etc. And with Disney owning Hulu, they can get an Alien(s) show underway. Basically, respect what came before, but keep going into a new era.

Drukathi

Quote from: TC on Feb 03, 2020, 01:21:03 AM
There's really only one thing I would love to retcon out of existence, and that is all the 'Chariots of the Gods' stuff in Prometheus.

Tbh, this is O'Bannon's original idea about Alien. Giler (or Hill) really ones who hated the 'Chariots of the Gods' stuff. Personally, I think it's a good part of Alien universe.

Maybe you want to say - remove all connections with earthly myths and other similar material? If yes, I agree. I think that the franchise (and what I expected from Prometheus and Covenant) must certainly focus on alien life forms and technologies. Cold and unemotional - just like space. Without myths.

dave1978

What i think the franchise needs to do is go for an entirely new setting.  All the films so far have been in space / exo planet and its been done to death.  Im thinking Earth setting, underground secret facility, forget the engineers and the space jockey they have been well and truly wasted as a grand idea.

New setting, new cast, new ideas no links except maybe the marines.

SM

Any old monster can be done on in underground facility on Earth.  IF you're going to do it on Earth - have the Aliens be a threat to Earth.

Local Trouble

WWZ-style Earth War or GTFO.

Xhan

I think after Star Wars it's very very plain to see that Disney doesn't get a lot of properties they own, so it depends entirely on how much leash they're willing to dole out before someone sends them a critical tweet and they need to check on the current woke spectrum chart to tell whether they support or reject that tweet that will then define whether or not the entire franchise gets cancelled or not.

TC

Quote from: Drukathi on Feb 03, 2020, 03:10:09 PM
Quote from: TC on Feb 03, 2020, 01:21:03 AM

Tbh, this is O'Bannon's original idea about Alien. Giler (or Hill) really ones who hated the 'Chariots of the Gods' stuff. Personally, I think it's a good part of Alien universe.

Maybe you want to say - remove all connections with earthly myths and other similar material? If yes, I agree. I think that the franchise (and what I expected from Prometheus and Covenant) must certainly focus on alien life forms and technologies. Cold and unemotional - just like space. Without myths.
In the face of the ambiguity of my statement, you read my mind well.  :)

The notion of ancient space travellers seeding the galaxy with life, and returning to cultivate it, is a valid enough idea.

However: my 2 main reservations.

1. As a science-fictional concept it fails to.explain its contradictions with established  science concerning life's evolution on Earth. (Note to writers: must work harder.)

2. Tying the Space Jockeys to human beings just feels tonally disjointed. It reminds me of that bit in Dune Messiah when Frank Herbert thought it was a good idea to bring Ghenghis Khan and Adolf Hitler into the story. Up to that point I had immersed myself in the notion that the Dune universe took place 'a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away' (to coin a phrase).

TC

Huggs

I'd like a final prequel, and then a standalone film similar to the first or third entry.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 03, 2020, 07:22:52 PM
WWZ-style Earth War or GTFO.

Also this.

SM

QuoteUp to that point I had immersed myself in the notion that the Dune universe took place 'a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away' (to coin a phrase).

Isn't Dune in the far future?

TC

TC

Quote from: SM on Feb 04, 2020, 02:11:48 AM
QuoteUp to that point I had immersed myself in the notion that the Dune universe took place 'a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away' (to coin a phrase).

Yes. Pardon me, I wasn't quoting that well known Star Wars phrase for its literal sense, more so for Lucas's intended meaning that Star Wars has nothing to do with our Earthly human history or universe.

EDIT: I seem to be having difficulty interpreting peoples' responses today  :P
I think you might be questioning how Ghengis Khan and Hitler appear in Dune Messiah? If I remember correctly, they don't turn up in person so much as get referred to in a discussion about mass murderers.

Actually there's an Alien connection there, too:

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-realism-of-giler-and-hills-earlier.html?m=1

Just... no.

TC

Xhan

Quote from: TC on Feb 04, 2020, 05:06:38 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 04, 2020, 02:11:48 AM

Yes. Pardon me, I wasn't quoting that well known Star Wars phrase for its literal sense, more so for Lucas's intended meaning that Star Wars has nothing to do with our Earthly human history or universe.

TC

except the part where the lots of points towards serials and the viet nam war that pervade quite a large chunk of the first trilogy

StrangeShape

As far as any reboot or remake, I just hope Ridley does one more to finish his British Butler Robot trilogy for the sake of it and let it die. Or bring up the Isolation movie

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed