LV-426: What kind of planet is it?

Started by Vasquez, J, Sep 21, 2010, 10:53:01 AM

Author
LV-426: What kind of planet is it? (Read 23,309 times)

Sharp Sticks

It's a rock. No indigenous life.

Quote from: Vazquez, J on Sep 21, 2010, 01:32:26 PM
Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 21, 2010, 01:29:45 PM
Well, it's named Acheron primarily, LV-426 second, so perhaps LV-426 is some form of coordinate. We know that they've explored some 300 worlds, so giving them names (like Acheron) and coordinates (such as LV-426...whatever that means) would make sense.

On a side note, yes, in Alien it is shown that there are three moons around a massive ringed planet:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zzl_dczrSAw/SYemu53uMwI/AAAAAAAAArU/C5ToUcD3C34/s400/LV426.jpg
One of those is LV-426/Acheron.

looks like a white star too, perhaps its a white dwarf star. If its obiting a giant planet, you'd expect spectacular planetary eclipses.. wouldn't wanna be caught with my ass hanging in the breeze when one of those happens at Hadleys Hope with those things running around n all

by the size of it i'd say it's more likely to be a blue giant,

Quote from: Vazquez, J on Sep 21, 2010, 01:44:12 PM
Quote from: AvatarIII on Sep 21, 2010, 01:30:25 PM
Quote from: Vazquez, J on Sep 21, 2010, 01:21:16 PM
Quote from: AvatarIII on Sep 21, 2010, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: Vazquez, J on Sep 21, 2010, 01:06:43 PM
there aren't many moons in our solar system that would require drop ships and have thick atmospheres like LV-426. I can think of only Saturn's moon, Titan. Perhaps LV-426 is in orbit around a giant planet.. but if so, why the name 'LV-426'? if it were a moon, it would probably have some reference to its parent planet and indeed its parent star, more like LV-426a.1

Also, if it were a moon of a giant planet, it would have to be orbiting it far out otherwise it'd probably be tidally locked to the planet, irradicating day/night hours, just like our moon.

maybe it is the 6th moon of the second planet of LV-4 :S

possible, but the system would be screwed if there were more than 9 planets, or moons as they'd need two digits. If the star were 'LV-4' you would have to assume it to be relatively proximate to the solar system because there can't be that many possible combinations with only 3 digits, compared to billions of stars.

LV4 would leave room for almost 7000 stars! i think that's enough to start with, considering stars are generally over a lightyear away from each other, and assuming binary secondaries would have a different designation. LV4 could still be quite a long way away.

yes so it does certainly put it within our galaxy, probably within 100 light years then

and yeah, i never expected alien series level of tech to be galactic let alone intergalactic,

DiabloGuapo

In the film Alien, Lambert says that it is close to Zeta II Reticuli. That's an actual binary star system 39 light years away and from what I can tell, they're both similar to our sun. I don't know what LV-426 means, but I don't see how it relates to the Zeta Reticuli system.

Vasquez, J

Quote from: AvatarIII on Sep 21, 2010, 01:45:37 PM
Well, it's named Acheron primarily, LV-426 second, so perhaps LV-426 is some form of coordinate. We know that they've explored some 300 worlds, so giving them names (like Acheron) and coordinates (such as LV-426...whatever that means) would make sense.

On a side note, yes, in Alien it is shown that there are three moons around a massive ringed planet:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zzl_dczrSAw/SYemu53uMwI/AAAAAAAAArU/C5ToUcD3C34/s400/LV426.jpg

looks like a white star too, perhaps its a white dwarf star. If its obiting a giant planet, you'd expect spectacular planetary eclipses.. wouldn't wanna be caught with my ass hanging in the breeze when one of those happens at Hadleys Hope with those things running around n all

there are no blue giant stars within 20 light years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars

nearest one i can remember is Rigel but thats about 600 LY there must be nearer ones

Vasquez, J

Vasquez, J

here we are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_and_planetary_systems_in_fiction#Zeta_Reticuli

its orbitting a brown dwarf, maybe the planet in the picture is infact the brown dwarf star itself.

Quote'Acheron is described as a 1200 kilometer large asteroid, with a surface gravity of 0.86, orbiting a brown dwarf. The planet does not receive sufficient heat from the main star to be fit for colonization, but the trickle of radiation emitted by the brown dwarf qualifies the planet as "inhabitable".'

Quote from: Vazquez, J on Sep 21, 2010, 01:55:11 PM

nearest one i can remember is Rigel but thats about 600 LY there must be nearer ones

like diablo said, zeta reticuli is closer to 40 LY away, so the fact there's none within 20 makes no odds.

Vasquez, J

Quote from: AvatarIII on Sep 21, 2010, 02:09:16 PM

like diablo said, zeta reticuli is closer to 40 LY away, so the fact there's none within 20 makes no odds.

aye..

obviously, this is fictional but if there were a blue giant around 40ly, I'd imagine it would be by far the brightest star in the sky.. the brightest star in the sky is Sirius which is only a few times more luminant than our own sun, so seems to me to be unlikely there is anything in that range either, or even upto 100ly perhaps

Quote from: Vazquez, J on Sep 21, 2010, 02:18:35 PM
Quote from: AvatarIII on Sep 21, 2010, 02:09:16 PM

aye..

obviously, this is fictional but if there were a blue giant around 40ly, I'd imagine it would be by far the brightest star in the sky.. the brightest star in the sky is Sirius which is only a few times more luminant than our own sun, so seems to me to be unlikely there is anything in that range either, or even upto 100ly perhaps

how about a subgiant?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgiant

Keg

Keg

its a wet and windy one.

StrangeShape

The LV is the third planet seen on this horizon of planets (or possible fourth, but I believe its the third)

Evidence? Well, look at the above pic
And the look at the panorama of LV's sky. See which one's missing. And also note the angle

Also, that small planetoid  matches the look of LV in Aliens perfectly

And also, we see Nostromo going over the orange ringed planet (which again,  is then seen on LV's sky)
And As Cameron said, the gas giant isnt visible in Aliens because its out of frame. If you look at where LV is in Alien, you know that from the angle we see it in Aliens it wouldve been indeed impossible to see the orange giant

Vasquez, J

Vasquez, J

Its supposed to be in orbit around a 'brown dwarf' star, I'd assume that big planet would have to actually be that star.. the question arises how does LV-426 get its light, it must come from that bright white star in the back ground.

Perhaps its a binary star system with the white star at a fairly long range distance, lets say 50AU (50x earth-sun distance), a bit like the sun would be from Uranus or Neptune. Heat is from the brown dwarf, but the light from the white star

Keg

Keg

I really dont think even the filmmakers looked at it or thought about it in such depth so you guys probably wont be able to get a definitive answer for whatever it is youre trying to determine  ???

SM

SM

The real Z2R

About everything else about the planet is shown in the movies.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: StrangeShape on Sep 21, 2010, 05:40:52 PM
The LV is the third planet seen on this horizon of planets (or possible fourth, but I believe its the third)
Much more likely it's not even visible in that shot. If it was the third planet the gas giant would be way off to the right, not the left, and at any rate that thing is way, way too big to be 1200km across (unless that gas "giant" is tiny).

I think we had this discussion in another thread and we all wound up very confused.

Valaquen

The matte painting of Acheron's sky shows the gas giant and all three moons, meaning that Acheron is on the opposite side of the giant, is what we concluded.

(I'm sure the scripts for Alien call Acheron a planetoid)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed