Official Prometheus Website Updated

Started by ikarop, Apr 26, 2012, 09:14:05 PM

Author
Official Prometheus Website Updated (Read 30,253 times)

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 26, 2012, 09:52:19 PM
I know this is silly, but in the realm of canon, I wish they'd thought up of a more pre-Aliens look to the atmospheric processor or rifle.  Hard to believe the AP is identical after 80 years.

I understand what you mean re the AP, but a chimney is a chimney. What's inside it may be completely different even though it looks the same.

Zenzucht

At one moment, the forum is full of hate for.. whatever. In other moment, with one piece of viral, it's full of jizz..

LOL.

Funny :)

Space Sweeper

It's a bipolar balance here. People don't know what they want so they'll hate on one thing and speculate and theorize the shit out of another.

Vickers Valiant

Quote from: Virgil_uk on Apr 26, 2012, 10:09:47 PM
"Fabricated from heat-resistant micro-perforated titanium, the Storm weighs 1.3kgs (empty of ammunition). With unrivaled technology like satellite-guided target detection, the Storm can track and assess a threat at over 300 miles away."

Now I'm no firearms expert, but that just sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Realistically speaking, if the weapon is using a satellite to track its target, that seems like it's quite feasible.

On the other hand, it does seem pretty ridiculous for a single rifle to have such capabilities. I hope they have a couple of them on board the Prometheus :)

Predaker

Maybe they will launch a satellite to orbit the planet before the land? Otherwise, that feature will be worthless once they leave Earth.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 26, 2012, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 26, 2012, 09:52:19 PM
I know this is silly, but in the realm of canon, I wish they'd thought up of a more pre-Aliens look to the atmospheric processor or rifle.  Hard to believe the AP is identical after 80 years.

me too. Would be cool if theres a pic with diverse machinery and we just notice the power loader in between.

Same here.  I always thought the AP was new to ALIENS, even though it had been around a number of years Ripley doesn't recognise it, the only thing it doesn't say is wether the AP is completely automated. Plus Burke confirms that W/Y now manufactures them, yet these new Weyland updates suggest the AP and the Pressurizer, which I assume is part of the product, were around 80 years before the fact. As for the Powerloader, I always got the impression Ripley was familair with that anyway, so I wouldn't expect it to change all that much, while the Storm Rifle is a nice touch that could certainly pass for an earlier version of the Pulse Rifle, just slightly miffed by the rediculous 'satellite-guided target detection' thing.  I doubt much of this will show in the film, but all in all, I can't help thinking what we're really seeing here is a brand new take on everything, the Weyland timeline making even less sense than it did to start with as Ridley is just doing whatever he wants to, but lets face it, we've seen evidence of that from the word go anyhow.

Barringer

It seems that Prometheus is making Weyland Industries more of a conglomerate that manufactures a wide variety of products, almost like OCP from Robocop or Massive Dynamic from Fringe. I think in Aliens and Alien 3, there was more of an implication that it's a cyberpunk, corporate warfare society and Weyland-Yutani is merely one of many corporations all trying to get an edge up on the others, hence Ash being a Hyperdyne model android and the idea that perhaps a different corporation manufactures the atmosphere processor.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RoaryUK on Apr 26, 2012, 11:44:57 PMPlus Burke confirms that W/Y now manufactures them

I think the exact line is 'we manufacture those, by the way', nothing about for how long or whether it is a new thing to the company. I agree however that it is odd that Ripley and the marines don't know what it is, considering that it is presented in the viral material as being so commonplace for a long time. Chalk it down to exposition - you gotta get it in there somehow I guess.

ThisBethesdaSea

I think Ripley's words were 'Well I can drive that loader' hinting at the idea that they've been around a LONG time?

And stuff

Plus very little, if any, of the website info is canon I'd imagine.  Probably just promotional stuff.

Predaker

Quote from: Opiate on Apr 27, 2012, 12:01:14 AM
Plus very little, if any, of the website info is canon I'd imagine.  Probably just promotional stuff.
Here we stumble across the very definition of E.U. (Expanded Universe)

The viral website/videos are expanding upon the universe within the movie.

:D ;D ;)

ThisBethesdaSea

Fox Corporate is expanding upon the Universe via a viral marketing website. If this isn't Canon, then nothing is.

And stuff

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 27, 2012, 12:02:51 AM

So the folks hired to write the contents and/or build the website are adding to the EU now?  I mean come on, we have the right to pick and choose.  This just seems hokey.  Let's throw an EU Christmas special in there while we're at it, lol.

Predaker

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 27, 2012, 12:05:36 AM
Fox Corporate is expanding upon the Universe via a viral marketing website. If this isn't Canon, then nothing is.
On a more serious note, I agree with you. These "extras" are canon, basically. It has to fit in some way, otherwise they would just be screwing things up.

Xenomrph

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 26, 2012, 11:52:23 PM
Quote from: RoaryUK on Apr 26, 2012, 11:44:57 PMPlus Burke confirms that W/Y now manufactures them

I think the exact line is 'we manufacture those, by the way', nothing about for how long or whether it is a new thing to the company. I agree however that it is odd that Ripley and the marines don't know what it is, considering that it is presented in the viral material as being so commonplace for a long time. Chalk it down to exposition - you gotta get it in there somehow I guess.
I think that's really my only "problem" with the new stuff on the website, dropping the atmosphere processor in in 'Prometheus' doesn't jive well with 'Aliens' where the AP station was supposed to be unfamiliar for Ripley. I mean it's not completely irreconcilable - maybe Burke was just being a corporate shill and doing the typical "pre-written salesman pitch" thing on reflex or something.

Like yeah it's meant to be exposition for Ripley (and by proxy, for the audience) but that still establishes some things about the universe and what the characters are familiar with. The Weyland website kind of derails that just so it can have some cute (but otherwise unnecessary) fan-service.
The proto-pulse rifle? That's pretty neat because it actually seems like a precursor to the pulse rifle we know, sorta. The power loader is kind of "eh" because it doesn't look any different, but it still sorta makes sense. The atmosphere processor is just fan-service for its own sake just so people who saw 'Aliens' can say "haw haw it's an atmosphere processor! :D" even though it doesn't make as much sense when you stop and think about it.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 27, 2012, 12:05:36 AM
Frankly I've got no problem taking the website stuff as canon, but I'm an EU fanboy anyway. ;D

Quote from: Opiate on Apr 27, 2012, 12:07:32 AM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 27, 2012, 12:02:51 AM

So the folks hired to write the contents and/or build the website are adding to the EU now?  I mean come on, we have the right to pick and choose.  This just seems hokey.  Let's throw an EU Christmas special in there while we're at it, lol.
That's pretty much how it works with any "EU" - the license holders hire people to write stuff, be it a video game, comic book, website, whatever. This isn't new territory, and FOX has been doing it with the Alien franchise for decades now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed