Spunkmeyer's "Accents"

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Feb 24, 2019, 11:07:19 PM

Author
Spunkmeyer's "Accents" (Read 596 times)

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

In writing Spunkmeyer's character for my fanfiction, the main issue I've been coming across is picturing his voice. There are multiple points throughout the movie where it seems like his voice changes, accent-wise. I did listen to Hicks and RidgeTop's interview with Daniel Kash, but it's still confusing as to why he goes from no discernable accent (breakfast scene) to slight New York accent (dropship landing) to English (assisting Bishop) to strong New York (his and Ferro's deaths).

The site TVTropes lists Spunkmeyer as having a "broad 'Noo Yawk' accent."

Is it something that can be left up to fan interpretation, or is this something I'm completely overthinking?

SM

SM

The latter.

I thought his accent was pretty consistent.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I didn't notice, but maybe it could be chalked up to some sort of futuristic mishmash of accents.  Like the "gutter talk" from Blade Runner.

SM

SM

It's a future Quebecois accent.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe there's an off-world colony called New Montreal.

Vermillion

Canada is the future.

Embrace the NHL. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It doesn't help his last and probably most memorable line wasn't voiced by Kash, it was voiced by someone who sounded like a New Yorker. Perhaps watch some of his scenes from The Expanse.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 25, 2019, 09:07:29 AM
It doesn't help his last and probably most memorable line wasn't voiced by Kash, it was voiced by someone who sounded like a New Yorker. Perhaps watch some of his scenes from The Expanse.

I'll have to pick it up on disc someday.

Also, holy crap, Kash's Paxton impression is so on-point, it's scary. I forgot to bring that up after my first time listening through.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's well worth watching! It's such a good show/book series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed